For Everyone Who Wanted Rex Fired...

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blows a gaping hole in the theory you've been pounding these last couple of days. :nana:

I might. This has been a very bizarre year. It's tough to know anything for certain about this team, IMO.

Blows a gaping hole in the theory you've been pounding these last couple of days. :nana:

I might. This has been a very bizarre year. It's tough to know anything for certain about this team, IMO.

:lol: yes, 32 tweets were the key to my argument.

Don't give me a might. Would or won't you? You watched the games. Would you argue they were well-coached?

:lol: yes, 32 tweets were the key to my argument.

Don't give me a might. Would or won't you? You watched the games. Would you argue they were well-coached?

What you're meaning to insinuate is that anybody who watched all 16 games and can say yes is a fool.

I would argue that anybody who watch all 16 games and can definitively say no is just as much of a fool.

Because the real answer is sometimes yes sometimes no sometimes both.

But the reasons for why they were and the reasons for why they were not our frankly unknown to us all if we are really being honest with ourselves.

What I think we can agree on is that that level of inconsistency was predictable.

Although mismanagement is a sign of a poor coach, I will give credit to the fact that the penalties seemed to dissipate toward the end of the year. I guess I am so tired of changing coaches every few years because we don't make the playoffs. We aren't in the top tier of teams and probably would have been bounced from the playoffs in the first round. I still believe despite the problems we were competitive in every game and it has been a long time since you could say that about the Bills.

My thought is this

Rex Ryan is here another year

and

Rex Ryan is here another year

so all this whining is pointless.......we have to hope that Whaley and Rex can work together and get it figured out.....which Rex HAS done in the past to the tune of TWO AFC championship games with the jets

Yep, all we can do is hope. This is the first year of this awful drought that I have to desperately hope I'm wrong rather than desperately hope I'm right.

Hey wait maybe we ARE on to something

To some, what I'm about to say is either "changing the argument" or "an excuse," neither is true, but, as far as evaluating Rex based on the notion that this roster is, as you say, "as talented as any in the NFL," I have to stop you right there.

I simply don't believe that's true because of two very important factors:

1. The middle of the defense was gutted by injuries and the loss of Brandon Spikes and
  2. Unlike 5-12 other NFL rosters, we are without the one position that can and does, by and large, mask talent deficiencies everywhere else on the field: QB.

I believe factor (2) alone shuffles us to "roster talent" that, on paper, at best, as it pertains to personnel good enough for wins and losses, shuffles us to the back end of the top third league wide.

Add in what the defense suffered this year in terms of injuries AND the fact that we had a backup QB literally give a game away, and I can't sit here and say "with the talent this team has Rex had no excuse to go 8-8 and the fact that we did must mean he's a lousy coach."

I see you. I do not see it that way though, needless to say. :lol:

What you're meaning to insinuate is that anybody who watched all 16 games and can say yes is a fool.

I would argue that anybody who watch all 16 games and can definitively say no is just as much of a fool.

Because the real answer is sometimes yes sometimes no sometimes both.

But the reasons for why they were and the reasons for why they were not our frankly unknown to us all if we are really being honest with ourselves.

What I think we can agree on is that that level of inconsistency was predictable.

I guess it would depend on your definition of "well-coached."

IMO, players not knowing or understanding play calls, having a huge number of penalties, having a horrifically slow and disjointed 2 minute offense that needed to go to the sideline every play, all point to "not well-coached," to me. In fact, I'd make the argument that we went 8-8 in spite of our coaching.

Yep, all we can do is hope. This is the first year of this awful drought that I have to desperately hope I'm wrong rather than desperately hope I'm right.

Hey wait maybe we ARE on to something

I see you. I do not see it that way though, needless to say. :lol:

I understand. But would you agree it's fair to say that there's only talent certainty RIGHT NOW at four of the 11 defensive starters heading into 2016?

I guess it would depend on your definition of "well-coached."

IMO, players not knowing or understanding play calls, having a huge number of penalties, having a horrifically slow and disjointed 2 minute offense that needed to go to the sideline every play, all point to "not well-coached," to me. In fact, I'd make the argument that we went 8-8 in spite of our coaching.

Those things didn't happen every game.

And having to go to the sideline during 2 min THAT ONE TIME was the result of a malfunctioning headset. There were just as many times, possibly more, in which the 2 min drill was run effectively. You keep harping on this point, and I can't understand why.

Those things didn't happen every game.

And having to go to the sideline during 2 min THAT ONE TIME was the result of a malfunctioning headset. There were just as many times, possibly more, in which the 2 min drill was run effectively. You keep harping on this point, and I can't understand why.

They happened a lot.

I haven't rewatched the games, so forgive me, but what ONE game are you referring to? I know for a fact the Dallas game 2 minute offense was horrific. Memories a bit fuzzy on the rest.

Is it safe to assume you're conceding on the rest of the points?

Edited by FireChan

They happened a lot.

I haven't rewatched the games, so forgive me, but what ONE game are you referring to? I know for a fact the Dallas game 2 minute offense was horrific. Memories a bit fuzzy on the rest.

FC,

To be fair....how many HC's are guilty of this as well

There is a LOT to not like in Rex first year I am not arguing that point.....but a lot of HC's make a lot of the same mistakes.

They happened a lot.

No.

And the Dallas 2 min drive at the end of the first half was executed nearly to perfection...until Tyrod threw a pick. They still had a TO give. If you're going to fault anyone for how that went down, it's TT.

No.

And the Dallas 2 min drive at the end of the first half was executed nearly to perfection...until Tyrod threw a pick. They still had a TO give. If you're going to fault anyone for how that went down, it's TT.

Wait what? Isn't the Dallas 2 min drive the one they let run down to 6 seconds from like 30 on first and goal?

And if your only defense of being one of the most penalized teams in the league is "it didn't happen all the time" well, we'll have to disagree there. Yes, we weren't penalized every single play. Pretty good! :thumbsup:

Edited by FireChan

Wait what? Isn't the Dallas 2 min drive the one they let run down to 6 seconds from like 30 on first and goal?

I believe you're referring to this sequence:

2 0:56 1 10 DAL 13 Tyrod Taylor right end for 6 yards (tackle by Barry Church and Nick Hayden) 6 6 4.71 5.15 81.0 2 0:15 2 4 DAL 7 Tyrod Taylor pass complete short left to Sammy Watkins for 3 yards (tackle by Brandon Carr and Terrance Mitchell) 6 6 5.15 5.01 80.7 2 0:08 2 4 DAL 7 Timeout #2 by Buffalo Bills 6 6 0 0 2 0:08 3 1 DAL 4 -- 6 6 5.01 -0.28 62.3

I'll rescind "run to perfection" but they still positioned themselves to score a TD, from inside the five yard line, with the clocked stopped, with enough time to kick a FG if they missed, with a TO left in case they didn't get the incomplete or OB and without enough time for Dallas to do anything to end the half. That's far from a failure.

EDIT: wtf, table pasted in then reformatted upon posting.

To read the sequence much more easily: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201512270buf.htm

Edited by The Big Cat

Although mismanagement is a sign of a poor coach, I will give credit to the fact that the penalties seemed to dissipate toward the end of the year. I guess I am so tired of changing coaches every few years because we don't make the playoffs. We aren't in the top tier of teams and probably would have been bounced from the playoffs in the first round. I still believe despite the problems we were competitive in every game and it has been a long time since you could say that about the Bills.

I'd rather make the effort to hit on the right, winning coach than be tired of changing the wrong, losing coaches.

I understand. But would you agree it's fair to say that there's only talent certainty RIGHT NOW at four of the 11 defensive starters heading into 2016?

I count 5 or 6. Dareus, Hughes, Gilmore, Darby, Graham, Lawson. Aaron Williams a potential seventh.

If we were in a base 4-3 rather than Rex' antiquated two-gap run stopping scheme (which the rest of the league is moving away from in favor of a one-gap pass rush), then Kyle Williams would be added to the list (8) and re-signing Bradham would be logical (9).

I believe you're referring to this sequence:

2 0:56 1 10 DAL 13 Tyrod Taylor right end for 6 yards (tackle by Barry Church and Nick Hayden) 6 6 4.71 5.15 81.0 2 0:15 2 4 DAL 7 Tyrod Taylor pass complete short left to Sammy Watkins for 3 yards (tackle by Brandon Carr and Terrance Mitchell) 6 6 5.15 5.01 80.7 2 0:08 2 4 DAL 7 Timeout #2 by Buffalo Bills 6 6 0 0 2 0:08 3 1 DAL 4 -- 6 6 5.01 -0.28 62.3

I'll rescind "run to perfection" but they still positioned themselves to score a TD, from inside the five yard line, with the clocked stopped, with enough time to kick a FG if they missed, with a TO left in case they didn't get the incomplete or OB and without enough time for Dallas to do anything to end the half. That's far from a failure.

EDIT: wtf, table pasted in then reformatted upon posting.

To read the sequence much more easily: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201512270buf.htm

Yes. That sequence was egregiously poor.

Letting the clock run down from 50 to 15 inside DAL's 10 turns 3 chances at a TD and then a FG into 1 chance at it then a FG. Absolutely terrible.

Edited by FireChan

Letting the clock run down from 50 to 15 inside DAL's 10 turns 3 chances at a TD and then a FG into 1 chance at it then a FG. Absolutely terrible.

Yep. We also had a timeout- we could have ran the ball multiple times rather than giving Tyrod one chance with 8 seconds left.

Edited by Aaron

You might see it that way, and yes, they squandered the opportunity to get three more chances following first.

But the choice to scramble on first, then throw short of the sticks on second: those are both on TT. Rex could have called the timeout after the scramble, sure. TT could have also. They had two.

TT has the freedom to blow timeouts in the second half when he doesn't like the play clock. Don't try to argue that he doesn't have the same freedom during a 1H 2 min drill.

And he's a professional quarterback, he doesn't need to be taught about clock management. These aren't, by and large, 'coaching' issues, they're inexperienced player issues.

Yep. We also had a timeout- we could have ran the ball multiple times rather than giving Tyrod one chance with 8 seconds left.

Then why didn't TT use one of them after he scrambled? Or when the subsequent play was taking too long to develop?

You might see it that way, and yes, they squandered the opportunity to get three more chances following first.

But the choice to scramble on first, then throw short of the sticks on second: those are both on TT. Rex could have called the timeout after the scramble, sure. TT could have also. They had two.

TT has the freedom to blow timeouts in the second half when he doesn't like the play clock. Don't try to argue that he doesn't have the same freedom during a 1H 2 min drill.

And he's a professional quarterback, he doesn't need to be taught about clock management. These aren't, by and large, 'coaching' issues, they're inexperienced player issues.

Then why didn't TT use one of them after he scrambled? Or when the subsequent play was taking too long to develop?

Dude are you seriously telling me the coach gets a clock management pass because the QB didn't call TO?

If he were coached by Belichick* I have no doubt he'd have done just that- and the team would've been in no-huddle rather than running the clock out on themselves.

We've now reached the football debating equivalent of Godwin's Law. Thank you.

Dude are you seriously telling me the coach gets a clock management pass because the QB didn't call TO?

Are you seriously letting TT completely off the hook?

These are autonomous, sentient beings. They can perform of their own free will.