Marrone/Schwartz to Miami? Nope. Gase it is.

YoloinOhio

The idea of Marrone going to Miami doesn't scare me as much as the idea of Schwartz going to Miami as DC. The Dolphins may not be a great team, but I would say they have under-achieved as much as they are not good. In other words, they have some talent on defense which hasn't produced consistently. Suh, who is their center-piece, is already familiar with Schwartz defense...I suspect Suh's game will be much improved in this scenario.

I will gladly take on a Schwartz defensive scheme as long as it still features Kelvin Sheppard as MLB.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Were we #2 in rushing or not? That's why it's brought up. Usually a good thing to have a decent rushing attack with terrible QB's and 8 defenders in the box.

15th overall is above average. The way you hear folks talk, you'd think it was 25th overall.

FireChan, please. We were #1 in rushing attempts. That made us #2 in rushing yards. The point that is being made is these aren't necessarily great statistics to assess the effectiveness of a team's running game. If you're #1 in passing attempts, chances are you're pretty high in passing yards too, doesn't mean you played an effective game. Why is this so hard to understand?

We were exactly mediocre in YPA, 15th. Our losing record reflected that mediocrity.

The idea of Marrone going to Miami doesn't scare me as much as the idea of Schwartz going to Miami as DC. The Dolphins may not be a great team, but I would say they have under-achieved as much as they are not good. In other words, they have some talent on defense which hasn't produced consistently. Suh, who is their center-piece, is already familiar with Schwartz defense...I suspect Suh's game will be much improved in this scenario.

Why on earth do y'all think Schwartz loved Marrone so much he'd be all warm and fuzzy about signing up as his DC again?

Schwartz was already asked to come to Miami as DC, he said....."No".

Schwartz thinks he deserves a 2nd chances as a HC. Might get one, too.

FireChan, please. We were #1 in rushing attempts. That made us #2 in rushing yards. The point that is being made is these aren't necessarily great statistics to assess the effectiveness of a team's running game. If you're #1 in passing attempts, chances are you're pretty high in passing yards too, doesn't mean you played an effective game. Why is this so hard to understand?

We were exactly mediocre in YPA, 15th. Our losing record reflected that mediocrity.

Why on earth do y'all think Schwartz loved Marrone so much he'd be all warm and fuzzy about signing up as his DC again?

Schwartz was already asked to come to Miami as DC, he said....."No".

Schwartz thinks he deserves a 2nd chances as a HC. Might get one, too.

What's your definition of mediocre?

So it had nothing to do with the Saint's OL regressing badly in 2014? You know, insisting that a bad RT play at a position that he was worse off at playing? How long did it take for Urbik to finally crack the line up?

BTW, what happened to Jax's rush stats this year?

Oh you mean they regressed when Doug was handed two dog poop rookies (who are still dog poop), got handed Chris Williams (who was also crap, but a little bit better, then missed the whole year), and Cordy Glenn lost an organ and missed the entire offseason? So basically the only healthy competed player was Wood and he struggled when his entire line around him was crap?

Color me shocked GG.

PS Urbik didn't crack the line-up because he threw a hissy fit in TC when he started losing reps. That's what good HC's do. They hold players accountable and punish them when they act like little babies. Not reward and accept it.

Edited by FireChan

Watching our running backs slam into the back of Eric Pears on first-and-everything, over and over again, for sixteen weeks

Didn't his "brutal" offensive philosophy get us to #2 in the NFL in rushing in 2013? With garbage QB's playing against defenses with 8 in the box? Something must've went right.

And in 2014, same story, but instead of Spiller and a healthy Fred, we had Fred on one leg with Boobie Dixon and Bryce Brown, two other godawful backs. And our rushing game sucked. Compared to the miracle worker Greg Roman whose rushing game has been so successful with his #1 and #2 RB's injured, right? Oh wait, no.

Routes imprecise? Well, he was working with SJ13 for one year, and had to fire his WR coach after that year. Then he was again working with a one-legged WR and Woods/Hogan. Not exactly a great WR squad.

Don't get it confused. I'm not saying Marrone was a great HC or is SB bound. I'm saying he gets unnecessary flak. And he does. No one can refute it. It's sad to watch them try.

1st in rushing attempts, 14th in ypa. They weren't that great. If you're going to run it more than anyone else, it stands to reason that you'll be among the league leaders in rushing yards. In contrast, this season they led the league in yards and ypa. Huge difference.

Miami's d-line (Vernon and a healthy Wake) is tailor made for Schwartz.

What's your definition of mediocre?

Oh you mean they regressed when Doug was handed two dog poop rookies (who are still dog poop), got handed Chris Williams (who was also crap, but a little bit better, then missed the whole year), and Cordy Glenn lost an organ and missed the entire offseason? So basically the only healthy competed player was Wood and he struggled when his entire line around him was crap?

Color me shocked GG.

PS Urbik didn't crack the line-up because he threw a hissy fit in TC when he started losing reps. That's what good HC's do. They hold players accountable and punish them when they act like little babies. Not reward and accept it.

Urbik isn't great, but he was so much better than the guy starting in his stead. Not starting the better player to prove some sort of dumb point is the opposite of good coaching. It's Queeg-like.

Thanks for confirming the Saint's inferiority complex. There's a clear line between punishing a player and being stubborn at the expense of putting out the best players on the field.

Rex was the opposite this year. He didn't remove the most talented player from the line-up when he should have.

That is LUDICROUS and confirms my worst fears about Marrone, which is that he sacrificed wins in order to prove points. He's a grade-A a-hole and a terrible coach and anyone who defends him or his record is, well, I don't want to get banned so...

Thanks for confirming the Saint's inferiority complex. There's a clear line between punishing a player and being stubborn at the expense of putting out the best players on the field.

Rex was the opposite this year. He didn't remove the most talented player from the line-up when he should have.

Culture is more important than some mediocre guard. Accountability matters. Mario didn't quit on DM. Half the defense didn't quit on him.

Urbik wasn't a superstar. He had no leeway when it came to antics. You see the bench if you are unprofessional and frankly, not that good. Inferiority complex? More like winning complex.

That is LUDICROUS and confirms my worst fears about Marrone, which is that he sacrificed wins in order to prove points. He's a grade-A a-hole and a terrible coach and anyone who defends him or his record is, well, I don't want to get banned so...

Prove points? It's called building a culture dude. A culture where being unprofessional is unacceptable unless you're a supreme superstar. A culture where mutinying and disobeying your coach is punished, not let go. Every good coach in history has had this trait.

Enjoy Rex Ryan and his BS. Maybe only half our defense will quit on him next year and not see their snaps reduced.

Marrone decided to play a poor 6'7" slow RT who had never played OG before at OG for no good reason whatsoever. And he was abysmal. Yet kept a decent OG on the bench most of the season for no reason. That's all you need to know about the line.

Wrong.

Continue the false narrative. Forward with Rex the disciplinarian!

Edited by FireChan

Wrong.

Come on, there was NO reason for Pears to be on the roster, let alone starting at guard for every game. The film showed clearly he was outplayed every snap, unable to execute even the super vanilla blocking schemes Doug employed.

Pears was a plague on the roster. I still wake up in the dead of night, covered in cold sweat, with my lady telling me I was screaming something about ****ty pears. He was not only a terrible offensive guard, he was the perfect illustration of everything wrong with Coach Doug: uncontrolled ego, uncompromising to a fault, and completely unwilling to see the truth even on film.

Wrong.

There was no reason to keep Urbik on the bench instead of Pears when Pears had never played guard and wasn't a good tackle. He was too tall and unathletic and didn't know the position. And it showed. He was absolutely terrible and it was well evidenced. That's NO REASON. I'm not saying or insinuating that Urbik is a great player or even a solid started. I'm saying there is no reason that Erik Pears was starting at RG when you had Urbik there and Urbik was substantially better when he did play, which proved it. Marrone had some harebrained idea that no one else in the league subscribes to, that you put your five best guys out there regardless of position. He said it himself and it proved to be harebrained. You don't play guys that cannot bend or move the way a OG needs to and who have never played guard before. It's inarguable and indefensible and it bit us badly. Just like you don't design a three TE offense with Lee Smith and Scott Chandler and Chris Gragg.

There was no reason to keep Urbik on the bench instead of Pears when Pears had never played guard and wasn't a good tackle. He was too tall and unathletic and didn't know the position. And it showed. He was absolutely terrible and it was well evidenced. That's NO REASON. I'm not saying or insinuating that Urbik is a great player or even a solid started. I'm saying there is no reason that Erik Pears was starting at RG when you had Urbik there and Urbik was substantially better when he did play, which proved it. Marrone had some harebrained idea that no one else in the league subscribes to, that you put your five best guys out there regardless of position. He said it himself and it proved to be harebrained. You don't play guys that cannot bend or move the way a OG needs to and who have never played guard before. It's inarguable and indefensible and it bit us badly. Just like you don't design a three TE offense with Lee Smith and Scott Chandler and Chris Gragg.

The reason Urbik was benched because of his selfish, anti-team behavior. That's a great reason. You'd argue Mario shouldn't have been benched this year. You want a group of selfish mercenaries. Great. Let me know when a group like that competes for something regularly, other than lockeroom meltdowns.

The reason Urbik was benched because of his selfish, anti-team behavior. That's a great reason. You'd argue Mario shouldn't have been benched this year. You want a group of selfish mercenaries. Great. Let me know when a group like that competes for something regularly, other than lockeroom meltdowns.

Tell me exactly what he did that was anti-team. Being in the Marrone Doug House could be for anything and his ego is such that he makes these stupid decisions which are bad for the team, which is precisely what happened. Marrone didn't let Urbik compete for the job and awarded the job to a player entirely incapable of playing it. And it hurt our offense and season badly. That's one of the reasons he's a crappy coach. Personal vendettas.

Tell me exactly what he did that was anti-team. Being in the Marrone Doug House could be for anything and his ego is such that he makes these stupid decisions which are bad for the team, which is precisely what happened. Marrone didn't let Urbik compete for the job and awarded the job to a player entirely incapable of playing it. And it hurt our offense and season badly. That's one of the reasons he's a crappy coach. Personal vendettas.

As I said before, I have it on good authority that Urbik started throwing a hissy fit when he started losing reps in TC. Exactly around when this story emerged.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/29/6084405/buffalo-bills-trying-to-trade-kraig-urbik-per-report

Ego and stupid decisions that are bad for the team. Classic buzz words with no substance. Give it up Kelly.

You would've called it a personal vendetta if Rex benched Mario. Saying he was putting his ego in front of his better players. You'd be just as wrong.

As I said before, I have it on good authority that Urbik started throwing a hissy fit when he started losing reps in TC. Exactly around when this story emerged.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2014/8/29/6084405/buffalo-bills-trying-to-trade-kraig-urbik-per-report

Ego and stupid decisions that are bad for the team. Classic buzz words with no substance. Give it up Kelly.

You would've called it a personal vendetta if Rex benched Mario. Saying he was putting his ego in front of his better players. You'd be just as wrong.

He should have been throwing a hissy fit when a tackle who cannot play guard is playing ahead of him. Throwing a hissy fit is not automatically detrimental to the team. That happens all the time. It depends on what actually happened. Marrone always wanted more beef, that was one of his problems. That is why Whaley drafted Richardson and Henderson and signed Chris Williams. And in Marrone's infinite wisdom he wanted to get the biggest fattest guys and then run a base hurry up no huddle offense the first year. That was freaking genius! Nothing he did on offense was smart.

He should have been throwing a hissy fit when a tackle who cannot play guard is playing ahead of him. Throwing a hissy fit is not automatically detrimental to the team. That happens all the time. It depends on what actually happened. Marrone always wanted more beef, that was one of his problems. That is why Whaley drafted Richardson and Henderson and signed Chris Williams. And in Marrone's infinite wisdom he wanted to get the biggest fattest guys and then run a base hurry up no huddle offense the first year. That was freaking genius! Nothing he did on offense was smart.

lol Whaley's huge mistake signing a G almost out of football for an egregious contract is on Marrone now? Kujo is Marrone's fault? Richardson?

Embarrassing. Really.

And no, throwing a hissy fit and becoming insubordinate is not justified. You shut your mouth and fall in line. Every player thinks they are better than everyone else. Woods isn't allowed to throw hissy fits because Sammy gets more targets.

Edited by FireChan

There is a lot of "anyone other than Rex " going on....Rex has proven he can coach in the league....I think this off season will get us some players to run his defense effectively and buy into his system....

Provided that TALENT is sought, not just old boys who have already worked in his system. Hiring old Jets to help implement the system needs to stop. Find talented players and coach them.

No one should be a fan of coaches who can only coach a system. Great coaches can get the best of the players they have by putting them in a position to succeed. Whaley hired Rex knowing what he is and what he needs. Both are culpable if forward progress is not made next season.

The Patriots have evolved over the years both offensively and defensively. As much as I don't want to hear, nor talk about that team, the fact is they are the wall this franchise must get over to achieve their goals. We don't have to become them to succeed, but we have to succeed with what we have regardless of the pieces.

lol Whaley's huge mistake signing a G almost out of football for an egregious contract is on Marrone now? Kujo is Marrone's fault? Richardson?

Embarrassing. Really.

You totally missed the point, as usual.

Not to mention that I didn't even mention Kujo. The only one I didn't mention. But that's the guy you pick out to criticize in the post. The guy who wasn't there in the post. And you wonder why no one takes you seriously. ;)