Marrone/Schwartz to Miami? Nope. Gase it is.

YoloinOhio

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I know that I'm one of the resident Marrone apologists, but I think this is a good read. Lots of parallels to the start of Coach Coughlin IMO.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/giants-tom-coughlin-tribute-coach/

From Strahan -

We all heard stories about how strict he was coming from Jacksonville. I don’t think too many of us were looking forward to playing for him when we found out he got the job. The issues I had with his coaching style early on were well-documented.

It all started from one big argument I got into with him. I think when we both laid it out there, it was clear that we both wanted to accomplish the same things. We were just coming at it from different perspectives. And from that point on, both our mentalities shifted. He stopped being hung up on whether our socks were too low or our cleats were the wrong color. And we stopped viewing him as a boss, and more like a father who just wanted what was best for us.

Sounds like Coughlin had a rep as a control freak and hard-ass, but at his second stop, he eventually mellowed out and compromised with his new team.

In 2007, Michael Strahan was leading a players revolt in training camp saying Coughlin's practices were too intense. After the 2006 season, Tom Coughlin was on thin ice with the FO and almost fired. Strahan figured he could verbally push the strict task master out the door. The pair met and Coughlin lightened up a bit on the practices. That year the NY Giants won the SB! If I'm not mistaken afterward Strahan told Coughlin he was right in being so strict.