Marrone/Schwartz to Miami? Nope. Gase it is.

YoloinOhio

Marrone decided to play a poor 6'7" slow RT who had never played OG before at OG for no good reason whatsoever. And he was abysmal. Yet kept a decent OG on the bench most of the season for no reason. That's all you need to know about the line.

Yet this fits the narrative of Buddy Nix's thinking that any OT can play OG. That OG's are a dime a dozen. All you need are big bodies for the offensive line and the bigger the better.

I can recall reading an article that stated Marrone wanted better players for line and the FO was upset that Kounadjio didn't a longer look at tackle. That CBS article about a shouting match between Whaley & Marrone? Then looking at Chris Williams, Doug Legurski, Sam Young, Colin Brown in replacing a decent starting LG in Andy Levitre with utter garbage leaves me thinking it wasn't just all Marrone.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Talk about circular logic. You're better than that.

The proof that Urbik was benched because of a hissy fit is because Urbik was benched because of a hissy fit.

Hissy fit. Hissy fit.

October 2014 Hissy fit:

Q: Why not give Kraig Urbik a chance in the lineup?

A: I think that we fill comfortable with what his role is for the team right now. If someone is not playing well or not improving based on us, I think that that’s a possibility. We talk about that too, but I think those guys are getting better in there. Collectively, we’ve got to keep them coming along, but it’s an option with him and it’s an option for Chris Hairston too each week. What do we want to do with Chris? Do we want to put Chris in there and see him playing? We’ve got Kraig backing up a bunch of positions along the inside and Chris swinging. Then we have those guys in on some of the short yardage and goal-line and things like that that we try to put them in.

Q: Are you saying Chris Hairston can play guard at well?

A: No. We had Chris at guard. We can put him in there too, but I’m talking about when you say, ‘Do you look at Kraig?’ We look at all of the players each week; how they play, what the do. We look at practice, watch the practices and things like that, where are these players going and then make a decision of who the best players are for us to play.

Q: What did you think of Kraig’s play last year?

A: I’m not thinking about last year anymore.

Let's backtrack. Do you believe that Rex should have benched Mario?

What does that have to do with Marrone's hissy fits?

Yet this fits the narrative of Buddy Nix's thinking that any OT can play OG. That OG's are a dime a dozen. All you need are big bodies for the offensive line and the bigger the better.

I can recall reading an article that stated Marrone wanted better players for line and the FO was upset that Kounadjio didn't a longer look at tackle. That CBS article about a shouting match between Whaley & Marrone? Then looking at Chris Williams, Doug Legurski, Sam Young, Colin Brown in replacing a decent starting LG in Andy Levitre with utter garbage leaves me thinking it wasn't just all Marrone.

There is blame to go around for the lousy line play of 2014. I would put it equally on Whaley and Marrone, with a small amount of circumstance beyond either of their control. Whaley could have got Marrone better players in the draft and FA, and simultaneously, Marrone could have used the players he had in better ways. My point was only that Whaley probably would not have signed Williams or drafted Richardson (who were both too fat) if Marrone didn't want that kind of player although it doesn't exonerate him. And Marrone specifically didn't use a better player in Urbik because he wanted huge guys, not his best players available, which is and was a major mistake, but one that is emblematic of Marrone's failures as a HC.

Hissy fit. Hissy fit.

October 2014 Hissy fit:

A: I think that we fill comfortable with what his role is for the team right now. If someone is not playing well or not improving based on us, I think that that’s a possibility. We talk about that too, but I think those guys are getting better in there. Collectively, we’ve got to keep them coming along, but it’s an option with him and it’s an option for Chris Hairston too each week. What do we want to do with Chris? Do we want to put Chris in there and see him playing? We’ve got Kraig backing up a bunch of positions along the inside and Chris swinging. Then we have those guys in on some of the short yardage and goal-line and things like that that we try to put them in.

A: No. We had Chris at guard. We can put him in there too, but I’m talking about when you say, ‘Do you look at Kraig?’ We look at all of the players each week; how they play, what the do. We look at practice, watch the practices and things like that, where are these players going and then make a decision of who the best players are for us to play.

What does that have to do with Marrone's hissy fits?

Again, your only proof of a "hissy fit" is that Urbik didn't play.

It will be relevant, I promise. Answer it.

Again, your only proof of a "hissy fit" is that Urbik didn't play.

It will be relevant, I promise. Answer it.

Fact - Urbik played well in 2013

Fact - Marrone wanted big fat guys on his OL

Fact - Urbik's play time decreased in camp

Fact - Marrone was trying out every body he had on hand for the LG/RG slot

Fact - Interior line play was weak in preseason

Fact - Urbik did not win starting job in 2014

Fact - Bills interior line was the worst in the league through October

Fact - Urbik regained starting job in October

Fact - Line play improved since October

Conjecture - Marrone and Urbik didn't get along

Conclusion - Marrone threw a hissy fit in keeping Urbik out of the line up, even though he had stiffs on the field.

Fact - Urbik played well in 2013

Fact - Marrone wanted big fat guys on his OL

Fact - Urbik's play time decreased in camp

Fact - Marrone was trying out every body he had on hand for the LG/RG slot

Fact - Interior line play was weak in preseason

Fact - Urbik did not win starting job in 2014

Fact - Bills interior line was the worst in the league through October

Fact - Urbik regained starting job in October

Fact - Line play improved since October

Conjecture - Marrone and Urbik didn't get along

Conclusion - Marrone threw a hissy fit in keeping Urbik out of the line up, even though he had stiffs on the field.

And not a single shred of proof towards that. Answer my question please. This will go on forever if you just repeat things you have no proof of in order to, for lack of a better word, "write" the truth.

Edited by FireChan

And not a single shred of proof towards that. Answer my question please. This will go on forever if you just repeat things you have no proof of in order to, for lack of a better word, "write" the truth.

You'd have to ask mojo for proof of discussions between the two. All evidence points to a hissy fit that kept a better player on the bench. A lesson is taught by sitting a player for a series/quarter/game, not nearly half the season.

Funny though, you're the one who threw out the conjecture that Urbik should have been benched for his actions. So what were you referring to and how did you get that info?

You'd have to ask mojo for proof of discussions between the two. All evidence points to a hissy fit that kept a better player on the bench. A lesson is taught by sitting a player for a series/quarter/game, not nearly half the season.

Funny though, you're the one who threw out the conjecture that Urbik should have been benched for his actions. So what were you referring to and how did you get that info?

Until you answer my question, I'm not going to bother.

I'll even make it easier on you. Is there any (non-violent, non-criminal) reason an NFL head coach should ever bench a superior talent for a lesser one, besides being a thin-skinned demon from Syracuse obviously? I was using Rex as a hypothetical, but you were refusing to play along.

I'll even make it easier on you. Is there any (non-violent, non-criminal) reason an NFL head coach should ever bench a superior talent for a lesser one, besides being a thin-skinned demon from Syracuse obviously? I was using Rex as a hypothetical, but you were refusing to play along.

Maybe Marrone was still catatonic and didn't realize he had benched Urbik.

There is blame to go around for the lousy line play of 2014. I would put it equally on Whaley and Marrone, with a small amount of circumstance beyond either of their control. Whaley could have got Marrone better players in the draft and FA, and simultaneously, Marrone could have used the players he had in better ways. My point was only that Whaley probably would not have signed Williams or drafted Richardson (who were both too fat) if Marrone didn't want that kind of player although it doesn't exonerate him. And Marrone specifically didn't use a better player in Urbik because he wanted huge guys, not his best players available, which is and was a major mistake, but one that is emblematic of Marrone's failures as a HC.

I agree and on Buddy Nix who handed down his foolish legacy about line players to Doug Whaley. Some of those players were already on the roster when Whaley took over. I can recall Nix telling us how good he thought Colin Brown would be in replacing Levitre.

I've watched Urbik play over the years and have seen he is an adequate pass blocker at times and not a very good run blocker at times. That last part might be another big reason as to why he was in Marrone's doghouse. I think a lot of his troubles have come from playing injured so often and with nobody behind him they wouldn't sit him. He did a decent job pass blocking this season off the bench.

Pears at RG was a joke but Marrone really didn't have a better option at RG. Urbik on the bench for Richardson those first six games of 2014 made no sense to me either. But then the team started Colin Brown at LG in 2013 for six games before releasing him outright and then slid the backup center in Legurski to LG.

I agree and on Buddy Nix who handed down his foolish legacy about line players to Doug Whaley. Some of those players were already on the roster when Whaley took over. I can recall Nix telling us how good he thought Colin Brown would be in replacing Levitre.

I've watched Urbik play over the years and have seen he is an adequate pass blocker at times and not a very good run blocker at times. That last part might be another big reason as to why he was in Marrone's doghouse. I think a lot of his troubles have come from playing injured so often and with nobody behind him they wouldn't sit him. He did a decent job pass blocking this season off the bench.

Pears at RG was a joke but Marrone really didn't have a better option at RG. Urbik on the bench for Richardson those first six games of 2014 made no sense to me either. But then the team started Colin Brown at LG in 2013 for six games before releasing him outright and then slid the backup center in Legurski to LG.

Chris Williams played the first 3 games I believe.

LOL. The only real way to get in Doug's doghouse was to question, or appear to question, his authority over all things living or dead in the known universe.

Somewhere there is a list of people that twittered happiness when he opted out. Thurman Thomas's LOL was my personal favorite but there were lots.

I stand corrected. I had forgotten that and it makes sense now to keep Urbik as a backup LG behind Williams then.

Urbik should have been the starting RG. He was always a guy that could play both and played there this year. It was insane to put Pears there. There is not a coach in the league that would do that.

There's a huge difference between disagreement and insubordination. Players who disagree with the strategy, yet still go out and perform their job shouldn't be benched if they are better at their job. Unless the coach is a thin skinned pretender.

Can't be more simple than that.

There's a huge difference between disagreement and insubordination. Players who disagree with the strategy, yet still go out and perform their job shouldn't be benched if they are better at their job. Unless the coach is a thin skinned pretender.

Can't be more simple than that.

You should be a politician. Your evasion tactics are boring. Edited by FireChan

Urbik should have been the starting RG. He was always a guy that could play both and played there this year. It was insane to put Pears there. There is not a coach in the league that would do that.

100%. It was mind-boggling.

Hissy fit. Hissy fit.

October 2014 Hissy fit:

Marrone's decision-making matched his articulation. Both left you scratching your head.