Tim Kawakami tweet re: NFL fans

BillsVet

https://twitter.com/timkawakami/status/683321166484774912

The Bills are apparently not the only team in the NFL where fans take this position (Kawakami covers the 49ers). It's interesting how so many people can place blame on players without focusing on the people who choose them.

Most of this is occurs because players, including their mistakes, are so visible to the public. OTOH executives rarely go in front of the camera but control more of the success or failure of the organization they represent.

The Bills are apparently not the only team in the NFL where fans take this position (Kawakami covers the 49ers). It's interesting how so many people can place blame on players without focusing on the people who choose them.

Most of this is occurs because players, including their mistakes, are so visible to the public. OTOH executives rarely go in front of the camera but control more of the success or failure of the organization they represent.

Can you explain the context? Did Kawakami have his access -- or something -- cut off by 49er management? Because his follow up to this doesn't make much sense to me:

1. I've got no problems with rich & powerful people who want to be richer & more powerful. Just don't tell me that it's not happening.

1 retweet15 likes
    Retweet
    More
  2. Tim Kawakami Retweeted Ryan David

Yeah, the NFL is full of innocent, sweet, non-powerful executives who aren't rich and aren't trying to get richer.

Did someone say NFL owners weren't trying to make money?

Not sure what your point is. 80% or more of what I've seen indicates that people understand that coaching is a problem. Does that make players immune to criticism in your eyes? When a person quits that's on him.

I love people who like nothing more than to twist an argument around until it comes out in their favor.

If only my dreams were in red, gold and green ...

your dreams are a bit more damp than that.

So true BV. Posters continue to praise Whaley for getting rid of Byrd and Spiller, but the truth is that he offered contracts to both of these lousy players.

This team really is bad enough. Can you imagine just how awful it would be if Whaley would have got his wish and signed both, or even one of them?

So true BV. Posters continue to praise Whaley for getting rid of Byrd and Spiller, but the truth is that he offered contracts to both of these lousy players.

This team really is bad enough. Can you imagine just how awful it would be if Whaley would have got his wish and signed both, or even one of them?

Well, I'm sure there are some good examples of bad deals avoided by sheer luck, but Byrd and Spiller wouldn't count as two of them. There was no reason to assume Byrd would basically miss a full season and not be the same guy when he returned. And Spiller was never offered a market-competitive contract.

Re: Kawakami's point (whatever it is): maybe it's true in SF, but in Bills Land I've heard/read a ton more criticism of Rex and Whaley than I have of the players, and that includes (until reports of dissension in the last few weeks) Mario. Even Sammy got more "he has a point about his lack of targets" responses when he basically called the fans a bunch of losers ...

Not sure what your point is. 80% or more of what I've seen indicates that people understand that coaching is a problem. Does that make players immune to criticism in your eyes? When a person quits that's on him.

I love people who like nothing more than to twist an argument around until it comes out in their favor.

your dreams are a bit more damp than that.

My point is that fans blame players and coaches, but they fail to hold accountable GMs and ownership who are largely out of the picture.

It's true that teams, including SF, DAL, and CHI are restricting access to the team, which is why I think Kawakami made this post. This is becoming more of a trend where teams are blocking out the management who don't want to be held accountable when writers, et al. are working to expose their inept decision making. And teams like SF and DAL cannot stand it.

Unfortunately, fans don't see this and will then blame writers or those who criticize when it's warranted. And in BUF, SF, DAL, and CHI it's definitely warranted.

Well, I'm sure there are some good examples of bad deals avoided by sheer luck, but Byrd and Spiller wouldn't count as two of them. There was no reason to assume Byrd would basically miss a full season and not be the same guy when he returned. And Spiller was never offered a market-competitive contract.

Re: Kawakami's point (whatever it is): maybe it's true in SF, but in Bills Land I've heard/read a ton more criticism of Rex and Whaley than I have of the players, and that includes (until reports of dissension in the last few weeks) Mario. Even Sammy got more "he has a point about his lack of targets" responses when he basically called the fans a bunch of losers ...

Sorry TFR but I gotta disagree. Imo, any offer more than bus fare out of town was too generous for these two.

If you haven't noticed, I am not so fond of Whaley. Going into this draft, I fear that he will trade away, or waste more picks. McCarron may suck when all's said and done but he had more upside than Cyril Richardson, wouldn't you say? Instead, we were stuck with EJ.

A 4th for Bryce Brown? McCoy's contract? The Cassell drama?

He hit right a few times but he is way to generous with team resources imo, and obviously the results are not something to brag about.

My point is that fans blame players and coaches, but they fail to hold accountable GMs and ownership who are largely out of the picture.

It's true that teams, including SF, DAL, and CHI are restricting access to the team, which is why I think Kawakami made this post. This is becoming more of a trend where teams are blocking out the management who don't want to be held accountable when writers, et al. are working to expose their inept decision making. And teams like SF and DAL cannot stand it.

Unfortunately, fans don't see this and will then blame writers or those who criticize when it's warranted. And in BUF, SF, DAL, and CHI it's definitely warranted.

There have been plenty of threads criticizing Whaley. He's had his share of hits & his share of misses. If you want to blame him for signing Mario then have at it, but I'd point to his productive seasons here as proof that it was a good signing. Shady for Kiko was a no brainer for me that I'd do 100 times out of 100. He's missed more often than not on o-line and he failed to put together a defense capable of playing in Rex's scheme. Some good, some bad.

Sorry TFR but I gotta disagree. Imo, any offer more than bus fare out of town was too generous for these two.

If you haven't noticed, I am not so fond of Whaley. Going into this draft, I fear that he will trade away, or waste more picks. McCarron may suck when all's said and done but he had more upside than Cyril Richardson, wouldn't you say? Instead, we were stuck with EJ.

A 4th for Bryce Brown? McCoy's contract? The Cassell drama?

He hit right a few times but he is way to generous with team resources imo, and obviously the results are not something to brag about.

This is overly harsh. To be fair you have to include the successes as well as the complaints. Darby, Karlos, Tyrod etc. all count too.

This is overly harsh. To be fair you have to include the successes as well as the complaints. Darby, Karlos, Tyrod etc. all count too.

These were 3 great moves, but doesn't he also strike you as the proverbial kid in a candy store? The better GMs are more frugal with their cap space and draft choices.

Jmo.

These were 3 great moves, but doesn't he also strike you as the proverbial kid in a candy store? The better GMs are more frugal with their cap space and draft choices.Jmo.

The Bills don't need to worry about the cap until they need to pay a franchise QB. Taylor will probably get a nice restructuring with an extension, but, he won't command a huge price (in comparative terms).

The mistake was Hughes & Marcel based on the switch to Rex's defense. They are both players I have enjoyed watching but I don't believe that either is worth what they are getting paid based on what they are asked to do. At least we can say, IMO, that Hughes has gone balls out every game.

These were 3 great moves, but doesn't he also strike you as the proverbial kid in a candy store? The better GMs are more frugal with their cap space and draft choices.

Jmo.

Bill, who do you consider the better GMs, just out of curiosity? I'm pretty sure whoever you come up with will have both his big hits and huges misses. The Job is being able to produce a talent base that the coaching staff can win with. A reasonable argument can be made that the Bills have better players than they did 4-5 years ago. And, that they are strong enough talent wise to be a playoff team. I think you can question the coaching hires, although I'm not convinced that this all on Whaley.

Packers suck Dallas sucks Ravens suck steelers mostly suck Atlanta sucks saints suck seems to be a lot of teams that suck. Fish suck Rams suck so many teams suck. It is a crap shoot no matter how you look at it.

I think most of our experts around this site need to quit their jobs and get in to football I think you've been wasting your freaking time on this site

I listened to all the experts on here say the same crap year after year

OK I have vented that's it I will not say anymore. One thing, fire Rex

Edited by mead107

Sorry TFR but I gotta disagree. Imo, any offer more than bus fare out of town was too generous for these two.If you haven't noticed, I am not so fond of Whaley. Going into this draft, I fear that he will trade away, or waste more picks. McCarron may suck when all's said and done but he had more upside than Cyril Richardson, wouldn't you say? Instead, we were stuck with EJ.A 4th for Bryce Brown? McCoy's contract? The Cassell drama?He hit right a few times but he is way to generous with team resources imo, and obviously the results are not something to brag about.

Good post, Bill.