Osweiler or Tyrod: Who Would You Sign Long-Term?

Easy. TT.

fanboi

He's tough, throws an accurate long ball is extremely mobile and has low mileage. Get him a more imaginative OC and who knows what he can do.

Osweiler is tall.

Like a Bills #2 QB tall ?

My main concern with signing Osweiler to a long term deal is that he's already under contract with another team. I think that can be considered tampering and come with hefty fines and league punishment similar to crippling punishments levied on the Patriots in years past. For that reason and because I'm generally leery of Caucasian quarterbacks I'd extend this Tyrod guy that everybody is talking about so much this season.

Its the things i don't consider, that you so aptly bring to the table repeatedly.

You should consider applying for Enlightener status.

:nana:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tyrod is nothing but a back up QB and we have seen all the tricks in his bag.This is Doug Flutie all over again.It took teams about 10 games to totally figure him out and he will never be a difference maker in this league.Sorry to be a wet blanket but if anyone here sees Tyrod as an effective playoff game winning QB then your a poor judge of talent.

FU Troll

You compare Tyrod to the last QB who took us to the playoffs and quietly led us to an 11-5 record in so doing. Then you say he "will never be a difference maker in this league." :doh:

And Flutie was benched before he had a chance to play in the playoffs wasn't he.

FU Troll

Very good, next time you can try to actually expand on your point if you have one.LOL

Osweiler is a gigantic QB. He's already taken a beating in the short period of time he's been starting. He's not statuesque, but he is a humongous target for defenders when he's in the pocket. Taylor may be short, but he can move due to his overall agility and athleticism. Running QBs carry their own risks when they escape the pocket. But how long can Osweiler withstand the battering before he suffers a serious injury? I'd rather pay the small but mobile guy than the giant who will be taking a thumping every week. It's almost a revisitation to Flutie vs Johnson.

That is a concern. Osweiler is tough all right (he's playing with a separated non-throwing shoulder), but he's getting hit a lot. A big part of that is the pathetic line, but he also has to get rid of the ball faster.

My main concern with signing Osweiler to a long term deal is that he's already under contract with another team. I think that can be considered tampering and come with hefty fines and league punishment similar to crippling punishments levied on the Patriots in years past. For that reason and because I'm generally leery of Caucasian quarterbacks I'd extend this Tyrod guy that everybody is talking about so much this season.

And of course there is that. Particularly one from Montana. That's practically Canada. And there's nothing whiter than Saskatchewan.

Never mind, I'll take Tyrod or even EJ after all.

Seriously though: I would make the big play for Osweiler. It's early, but the guy seems to have it. That is, the "it" factor. Sooner or later you've gotta make the big gamble. I like Tyrod, but you can't hitch your wagon to him. Pry Brock away from Denver.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

This is not a rip Tyrod thread. Nor is it a "Brock is the next Flacco" thread. I'm not professional scout (and if anyone here is, please let me know since I'd love to hear your opinion), but I've watched Tyrod's 13 NFL starts and Brock's 6 NFL starts. I like what Tyrod's shown, but I'm with Whaley on this one -- it's too soon to commit big money/years to him. Fortunately there's another year to decide. But there isn't with Osweiler. He's a free agent after this season, and the Broncos don't know what to do. (Thinking here in Colorado is that they'll franchise Vonn Miller and see what they can do after that.)

So my question is this: would you go after Brock in the offseason, maybe signing him to a long-term Kaep-type deal? Or would you stick with Tyrod, maybe bringing in a 3rd round pick as insurance? My opinion: I like what I've seen from Osweiler more than what I've seen from Tyrod. Yes, part of it is the half foot of height (a big part). Osweiler has the arm and can make all the throws to all parts of the field. I understand Tyrod has a higher QB rating. I don't really care about that (I do think it's a useful stat, but it has it's limitations.). I see Tyrod as an exciting QB who does several important things really well: avoiding bad decisions, making the long throws to the outside, using his legs to make things happen. But I see more upside with Brock. He really has had an impressive debut, and it's telling that an apparently healthy Peyton is nowhere near seeing the field again in a Broncos uniform.

So objectively ... which would you prefer to hitch the Bills wagon too for the next 4 or 5 years?

Oz

More intellectual laziness. Go ahead and tell me how great Fluties playoff record is and prove my opinion wrong instead of this hit and run cop out.

Hot take as usual. He lost a game in 1986 and another in 1998 when he threw for 360 yards on the road. You seriously are the worst poster on this board.

Obviously Osweiler (auto corrects to Parolee on my phone, lol) for the sole reason that he is not currently a Bill which automatically makes him better then anyone currently a Bill.

Crippling punishment levied on the Pats? Maybe as crippling as stubbing your toe can be considering they have dominated the AFC for over a decade.....

If tyrod can show he's willing to throw over the middle and be successful at it, I'd take him. If not, Brock all day. Opposing DCs can just take away the sidelines in obvious passing situations and force tyrod to run or force into double coverage. He may make a few with his legs, but I don't think it's sustainable for a team looking to make a championship push

Hot take as usual. He lost a game in 1986 and another in 1998 when he threw for 360 yards on the road. You seriously are the worst poster on this board.

I am the worst poster here because I draw a comparison between Flutie and Tyrod and support my argument with facts???My entire point is that Tyrod is Flutie all over again and its my OPINION that Tyrod will never be a guy that will take a team deep into the playoffs.If you are so mentally fragile that you cant stand opinions that differ from your own without insulting others then you seriously need help.Happy new year young man.

I'll take "Neither" for $1,200, Alex.

FU Troll

You called him a troll for sharing a pretty accurate assessment of Taylor, if you ask me. The "FU," was a nice touch, too.

All because someone doesn't think Tyrod is that good. Go figure.

I am the worst poster here because I draw a comparison between Flutie and Tyrod and support my argument with facts???My entire point is that Tyrod is Flutie all over again and its my OPINION that Tyrod will never be a guy that will take a team deep into the playoffs.If you are so mentally fragile that you cant stand opinions that differ from your own without insulting others then you seriously need help.Happy new year young man.

Ha ha, you are the worst poster because everything that you say is trollish. The opinion about Tyrod never taking a team deep into the playoffs is perfectly reasonable. The opinion that he is nothing more than a backup in this league is tough to make when he is 6th in QBR, 10th in PFF's rankings and 13th in Rosenthal's QB index. That is a long way from 33rd.

Keep up the nonsense!! You continue to be the only poster that I have ever blocked on this site because of your ridiculous takes.

If Tyrod Taylor had some pass blocking help from his line, he would be much better. Yes, he is shorter and can not see over his center like most QBs but his footwork gets him into position rather quickly. I think he needs more tutoring, more experience and better line play and he will be something special. This is a player to build around