Dareus injured his neck and lost feeling in his hand

Fingon

He probably stretched some nerves in his shoulder, which woul cause the numbness but also take away his strength too as he won't e able to fire his muscles.

He will be out next week I am sure.

another speculative diagnosis; thanks again Dr. Marcus Welby.

We need our medical experts in this thread (I'm serious). Hopeful and others..

a "medical expert" on this board cannot pretend to know the extent of Dareus' injury w/out a physical exam and access to any diagnostic imaging/testing

Sounds like a serious "stinger". I figured that's what he had when they showed how he went head first into the runner, and then ran off the field with a limp left arm.

Shouldnt be too big of a deal, hopefully. But sit him next week anyways. Heck, if Jason Peters can do it...

Sounds like a serious "stinger". I figured that's what he had when they showed how he went head first into the runner, and then ran off the field with a limp left arm.

Shouldnt be too big of a deal, hopefully. But sit him next week anyways. Heck, if Jason Peters can do it...

i was going to say stinger too but wasn't sure.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_12_2_1.htm

It is very similar to hitting your funnybone/Ulnar nerve.

A stinger or burner is an intensely painful nerve injury. The nerves that give feeling to the arms and hands originate from the cervical (neck) spinal cord. As these nerves leave the neck, they form the brachial plexus (see Fig. 1). They weave together then branch as they pass under the clavicle (collar bone) on the way to the shoulder.

Nerve injury often happens when the athlete makes a hard hit using his shoulder. The direct blow to the top of the shoulder drives it down and causes the neck to bend toward the opposite side. This motion severely stretches or compresses the nerves and triggers an intense discharge of electricity. For a few seconds, the electricity shoots down the nerves to the tip of the fingers.

i was going to say stinger too but wasn't sure.

It sounds like one.

It is...

a "medical expert" on this board cannot pretend to know the extent of Dareus' injury w/out a physical exam and access to any diagnostic imaging/testing

Many of us combine to know a great deal of one. Anyone who played at least 5-6 years football has had a handful of these. Some are worse than others. Other athletes get them, as well.

A00027F01.jpg

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00027

An injury to the brachial plexus can cause a burner or stinger. This often happens when the head is forcefully pushed sideways and down. This bends the neck and pinches the surrounding nerves.

Risk Factors

Contact sports. Athletes who engage in contact sports are more likely to suffer a burner or stinger. In fact, up to 70 percent of all college football players report having experienced a burner or stinger during their 4-year careers.

Burners and stingers often occur with a fall onto the head, such as in a wrestling takedown or a football tackle. In fact, tackling or blocking in American football is the athletic activity that most often causes burners or stingers. Football defensive players and linemen frequently suffer this injury.

Spinal stenosis. In addition to playing contact sports, a small spinal canal may put you at greater risk for a burner or stinger. Athletes with recurrent stingers or burners may have smaller spinal canals than players who do not suffer recurrent injury. This condition is called spinal stenosis.

another speculative diagnosis; thanks again Dr. Marcus Welby.

again, why don't you take 2 minutes to research the information and combine that with any possible real world information you can provide?

He probably stretched some nerves in his shoulder, which woul cause the numbness but also take away his strength too as he won't e able to fire his muscles.

He will be out next week I am sure.

great diagnosis.

My son had a bad stinger in high school. Pretty scary to lose feeling in your hand. He missed a lot less time than he should have (only a couple plays instead of a few weeks) because he lied about it. Kids can be stupid. Years later he's not quite 100% due to related injury. Nothing to gain here, Marcel.

Thanks for the kind word, Yolo, but I'm not an MD and if I were, unlike others, I wouldn't care to diagnose a guy based on distant film study.

I can say (based on personal experience and a good physical therapist) that the shoulder is a weird joint - unlike the knee hip wrist and elbow which feature a nice socket stabilized by ligaments, it's basically supporting the weight of the arm and staying in place due to a bunch of stabilizing muscles, and if they don't do their thing right it's pretty easy to damage a nerve. I did so whilst sleeping in crap recliners in hospital ICUs while a relative was there, and it took me a summer of PT to strengthen all the small supporting muscles that had become weak. Meanwhile my shoulder was held in place with tape to keep it off the nerve, which was very effective for daily life but I'm not sure how well it would work for football. I'm sure being more dedicated and putting more time into the PT would speed the healing along with every day taping and ultrasound and so forth, but I'm not sure a week is enough time.

http://www.hughston.com/hha/a_12_2_1.htm

It is very similar to hitting your funnybone/Ulnar nerve.

It sounds like one.

It is...

Many of us combine to know a great deal of one. Anyone who played at least 5-6 years football has had a handful of these. Some are worse than others. Other athletes get them, as well.

A00027F01.jpg

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00027

again, why don't you take 2 minutes to research the information and combine that with any possible real world information you can provide?

great diagnosis.

"many of us combine to know a great deal of one"? really?

I suppose I could copy and paste medical conditions too from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, but, again, it is entirely speculative.

I think the prudent course is to wait until the player is examined and the team releases a statement like Rex just did. It seems like Dareus suffered a pinched nerve which should allow him to play next weekend in his familiar role; occupying space and blockers. Great.

Just glad it was nothing more severe.

"many of us combine to know a great deal of one"? really?

I suppose I could copy and paste medical conditions too from the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons, but, again, it is entirely speculative.

I think the prudent course is to wait until the player is examined and the team releases a statement like Rex just did. It seems like Dareus suffered a pinched nerve which should allow him to play next weekend in his familiar role; occupying space and blockers. Great.

Just glad it was nothing more severe.

...yeah, but see, we were right. and the 2 minutes of looking at the internet to provide more information about the matter is to help educate others on the issue and to better explain than most of us are capable what the issue was. anyone who's played football and doesn't know what a stinger is never really played. anyone who played football knows the symptoms and sight of a stinger.

but...pinched nerve.

kiss the ring and you're welcome. we forgive you, son.

My son had a bad stinger in high school. Pretty scary to lose feeling in your hand. He missed a lot less time than he should have (only a couple plays instead of a few weeks) because he lied about it. Kids can be stupid. Years later he's not quite 100% due to related injury. Nothing to gain here, Marcel.

that is part of the trickiness of a stinger. it's not a neurological injury. it is a nerve injury.

i read a little more on it and the chances of it becoming a long term injury or chronic issue are slim to none.

Edited by Boyst62