Jets--they really aren't much, if at all better than Bills

Big Turk

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You forgot Jets OL > Bills OL, Jets LB >>> Bills LB.

But otherwise, the Bills are clearly more talented. :rolleyes:

I think most of both your and jumbalaya's > points are debatable.

But the bottom line is, they're 10-5 and we're 7-8 and "you are what your record says you are". If we'd only lost to the Bengals and Chiefs and won the other games we should have or even half of them (Jax, Eagles, Giants, Redskins) we could be 11-4 or 9-6. But we didn't, and we aren't.

"You are what your record says you are"

last year, the Bills had 900 more accepted penalty yards than the Jets. Are you sure it's the coach?

Thank you. I believe Rex needs to go, but not because of penalties. The idea that the HC is directly responsible for a team's penalties sounds good and is oft-repeated, but I don't think there is any real evidence to back it up. It reminds me of the argument that the NFL can fix its officiating problem by making the officials full-time employees--sounds appealing, but on further inspection, there is just no evidence for it.

I don't know what the reason is for the rash of penalties that have afflicted the Bills this year, but I doubt Rex has much to do with it. Officiating in the NFL has become so arbitrary and capricious that the Bills woes could be attributed to nothing more than bad luck. And, as has been discussed extensively here, many of the most costly calls against the Bills this year were entirely imaginary.

Edited by mannc

Yes, the Jets may make the playoffs but in large part were helped by their 4th place schedule versus the Bills 2nd place schedule.

Doesn't make a difference, you say?

Well, consider the Jets got to play the Browns and the Raiders while the Bills played the Bengals and the Chiefs. Jets played teams with a combined 10-20 record while the Bills played teams with a 21-8 record, both of which will likely be heading to the playoffs. If you think that doesn't make a difference, you are crazy.

Granted, the Jets did a better job against the 8 easy games from the AFC South/NFC East(helped by an idiotic decision by Tom Coughlin which likely cost his team the game), going 6-2 versus the Bills, who went 4-4, but we also beat the Jets head to head once and I wouldn't be surprised if we beat them again next Sunday.

This great disparity people think there is between the Jets and the Bills simply doesn't exist, and in large part is reflected in their record because of playing a 4th place schedule versus a 2nd place schedule AND the fact they have been one of the healthiest teams in the NFL this year. In fact, in some advanced metrics sites, such as this one:

http://sagarin.com/sports/nflsend.htm

the Jets have played the easiest schedule in the NFL. Notice the Bills and Jets are ranked right below each other even though the Jets have a 3 game advantage in the win column.

So, while the Jets may make the playoffs this year, they were helped greatly by their schedule, and lack of key injuries.

People say all that matters is wins and losses, and that is true, but who you get to play and how many players you have injured sure play a large role in determining your wins and losses as well...

The Jets also just beat the Patriots. Something we've accomplished a whole 3 times in 12 years...

Dude, You Are What Your Record Says You Are. They're 9-5. We're 7-8

It is true that the Jets got to play the Browns and the Raiders while we got the Bengals and the Chiefs.

But other than that, we've played the same teams with different results

Jets Opp Bills

Win Jax Loss

Win Wash Loss

Loss Hou Win

Win NYG Loss

Win NE Loss

We beat 1 team the Jets lost to (Houston).

The Jets beat 4 teams we lost to.

Sorry, can't buy it. Give them credit.

I can't buy that.... The jets played many of those teams at the right time. Our last game relatively healthy was the Jets game. The original statement holds water jets benefitted from an easier schedule and we played some beatable teams when they were at their best and we were in a bad way injury wise. It's not an excuse just a fact. all things considered..... I would take the Bills healthy roster over a Jets healthy roster and if we played their exact schedule with reasonable injuries I feel we would be in a similar situation to the Jets.

The Jets formulated and executed a very sound strategy this offseason:

1) Hire a coach who could make the most out of the team's core asset (the defense), without too much tinkering.

2) Hire a veteran offensive coordinator and pair him with a veteran QB.

3) Surround that veteran QB with tall receiving options, a friendly passing game, and a solid offensive line.

4) Add a few key pieces to the defense and offense.

The Jets' organization is running smoothly right now with everyone on the same page, and they're soundly executing the strategic plan they came up with.

Contrast that with the Bills... where to begin.

.......... and get someone to break your QB's jaw.

If only there were some way to actually know which team was better, like say playing each other head to head.

So the Ravens are better than the Steelers? The Rams better than the Seahawks?

Injuries no doubt hampered the Bills, but post-bye up until the Dallas game the teams was, relatively speaking, healthy given the natural attrition attendant to the NFL. Prior to the Dallas game, the Bills were 3-4 post-bye. Hard to pin it all on injuries. As for Rex, two things:

1. The thought that Rex "REALLY wanted to be part of this team and community" is just nonsense. That was all Rex's con job on the Pegulas and the Bills' fans. Fraud in the inducement. What he REALLY wanted a was a job since he had be unceremoniously been fired by the team that is on the cusp of a playoff bid this year.

2. The thought that Rex as a first year coach needed to have a year to get his system in place is also nonsense. He had the personnel to run a quality defense using the scheme that was already in place. Rex said, again as part of his con job, that he wouldn't impose his system on the personnel if it wasn't the right thing to do. Yet he did from the get go and ruined the defense. He flat out lied. He is just a blowhard jerk who talks a good game but is incompetent as a head coach.

But yet you ignore the main points:

1) They played the easiest schedule in the NFL, which helps them look a lot better than they actually are.

2) They had virtually no key injuries the entire year while numerous teams they played have been decimated by them(Dallas, NE, and Bills---3 in a row to end the year)

It never ceases to amaze me how many excuses losers find for losing.

Over the last 16 seasons, the Bills have had easy schedules and few injuries on occasion, but they still haven't made the playoffs.

Some top teams have had the hardest schedules and have been decimated by injuries and yet they still find a way to win. Why is that?

Have the Patriots had any tough schedules since 2000? Yes. Have they had serious injuries? Yes. How do they manage to win every year? Just luck?

Bills fans need to stop with the whining and excuse making!

The Jets this year have been better than the Bills. Period. No excuses. The Patriots have been better every year. The are several reasons, but the big ones are that the leadership of every organization.

The GM and coaches did a better job with New England and the Jets this year than the Bills and Miami did! The Bills and Dolphins had bad coaching compared to the two top teams in the division. It is not that complicated. Rex Ryan and his staff failed. The Miami staff failed miserably.

If Bills fans keep living in denial and think Rex Ryan will make this team a winner then they are deluding themselves. If Bills fans keep living in denial and think that easy/tough schedules or injuries are the reasons for another failed year then they are deluding themselves.

It really is pathetic to blame outside factors for this organization's failure. Wake up Bills fans! The damage is self inflicted. If Bill Belichik could have personally selected a bad coach for the Bills to hire last year he would have had a hard time selecting a worse one than Rex Ryan!

Edited by Billsguy

This thread is ridiculous.

In another thread I stated how the Jets have a better W/L record than we do. W/L's don't matter.

I stated how they were top 10 in defense and offense. Stats don't count.

So W/L's don't count and stats don't count.

Beating the Patriots doesn't count b/c the Patriots have injuries. Gotcha.

Talk about being blind to reality.

Yes that was all luck that propelled the Jets into an 11-5 season and injuries were the reason for the Bills 7-9 season.

The horror show that was defensive coaching played no part.

Head on out to OBD with your torch and pitchfork. Wah Wah Wah....Blah Blah Blah. 11-5? The Jest haven't made anything yet. If you don't think good health/injuries play a major role in the NFL among other factors, then we have nothing to discuss.

What are you talking about?

The Jets got lucky against the Patriots and Giants and played a cake schedule.

The bills on the other hand were depleted by injuries..... DENY DENY DENY. It makes them feel better.

No! They're a great team! Look out NFL, here come the mighty NYJ!! Fear the Great Gangreen!!! :lol:

The Cardinals and Panthers have noting on the great Fitz led team! Super Bowl Baby!