The offense needs to change too

1billsfan

I could be wrong because I haven't done any hard research, but I feel like I remember Kaep's passing attempts going up every year he was under Roman. I'm of the opinion that Roman's offense starts out as run first to protect the QB and slowly adds more responsibilities to the QB as the become more comfortable in the scheme.

agree. year 2 will be different as TT will get all the #1 reps for the next 8 months. No more "QB competition mode". He is the starter, period. Plus he will be healthy and now he knows how to avoid injury. I like it going forward. We really need the Goodwin/Harvin combo Big Ben has with Wheaton/Bryant. Injuries really hurt the WR position this year. Harvin/Goodwin both to IR. Killer. And Sammy still got open. Good stuff ahead, people. Kaepernick went from 16 to 26 to 30 attempts per game his first 3 years as starter. Don't blow it up now. Roman knows what he is doing because he's done it before. Lose Rex you lose Roman.

Edited by 8and8-->NoMore

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NE passes the ball more then running, they throw a ton of quick short passes that allow the WR to get YAC. This would & can work here in Buffalo, running the ball is old school football and just makes you an average team.

NE is a much better team than we are. Watkings is averaging 18.8 ypc. What more do you expect with YAC?

Roman has a plan. I'm aligned with Polian, this offense can improve through the draft and maybe one role player in free agency with a veteran QB for a back up, can EJ, another lineman, a sound WR to compliment Sammy and a sound TE to compliment Clay.

This along with another year to work on TT could end up with a competitive team in the AFCE.

Bills O needs to diversify for sure, but not abandon the things it has shown promise at doing (basically the running game).

Whether the gameplaning and play calling diversify depends on whether Tyrod with the help of the players around him can show the development everybody is calling for. Without Tyrod taking the next step the Bills will become increasingly predictable and easy to defend. In other words, either it gets better or it will probably get much worse.

I still cant fathom why Roman doesn't utilize the middle of the field more. With our average O-line, it would seem getting Sammy the ball with an opportunity for YAC or Clay in the seam, or Robert with his propensity for getting separation, would best compliment the strengths of his players, whilst also protecting his qb. It always seems as though we only have a deep passing game, which leaves me scratching my head when we throw the 30 yard dig on a 3rd and 5 for an incomplete.

I still cant fathom why Roman doesn't utilize the middle of the field more. With our average O-line, it would seem getting Sammy the ball with an opportunity for YAC or Clay in the seam, or Robert with his propensity for getting separation, would best compliment the strengths of his players, whilst also protecting his qb. It always seems as though we only have a deep passing game, which leaves me scratching my head when we throw the 30 yard dig on a 3rd and 5 for an incomplete.

Pretty clear to me that Roman does not yet trust Tyrod enuf as a passer to open things up and take more chances and assume more risk (of turnovers).

If they score I don't care how they do it.

The offense was more than fine in 2015.

No it wasnt....yes it scored alot but its deceiving....it lead the league in 3 and outs....especially in a row. This allowed teams to gain momentum, tire out our defense and get ahead on the scoreboard. Tyrod would throw a few garbage time tds but never enough. We lost to kc, Washington, the first pat's game, Cincinnati, and the giants from this. The second pats game, second half of the jets game and the titans game all suffered from poor offense as well. Had we lost the jets game or titans which we barely won, the season would have been over much sooner. That and alot those points came against teams we lost to inc the jags and from two miami wins...id rather beat alot of teams close and sustain some long drives than pile up points in garbage time and against bad teams. Edited by enlightener

Roman has a plan. I'm aligned with Polian, this offense can improve through the draft and maybe one role player in free agency with a veteran QB for a back up, can EJ, another lineman, a sound WR to compliment Sammy and a sound TE to compliment Clay.

This along with another year to work on TT could end up with a competitive team in the AFCE.

I just think that if the defense can rebound....nobody will be complaining about the offense

I know there's a lot of talk about the defense needing big changes, but the truth is the offense needs to make big changes also IMO. Anybody want to know what Sammy Watkins numbers would be if he had the same amount of targets that Antonio Brown got this year?...

(approx) 1650 yds, 18 TDs, 88 recs

Here's hoping that Rex and Greg drop the old NFL "run the ball a lot" offensive philosophy and change over to the "try to actually score a lot of touchdowns" passing attack. This also keeps your running backs fresher and healthier throughout the year when you do need them to carry the ball a lot in certain games.

And don't forget the wacky gimmick plays that fool no one.

@SalSports

Sal Capaccio Retweeted Beau

Totally. First 8 games, scored 31, 45, 23, 33, 31, 31, 23, 24. Way south after that.

Wow Sal actually tweeted that and showed no perspective about WHY the offense declined?

1) When you play 6 of your first 8 at home or at a neutral site you are going to have every opportunity to excel on offense. Having a new offense and new personnel is also a huge advantage if your players execute.

2) When teams get tape of your offensive success......you either adapt or they will. Bills didn't adapt well enough to excel with 5 of 6 games on the road. Needed a more physical running game and to at least PACK their defense......which some weeks has no-showed. Offense looked comfy in the one home game in that stretch.

NE passes the ball more then running, they throw a ton of quick short passes that allow the WR to get YAC. This would & can work here in Buffalo, running the ball is old school football and just makes you an average team.

Bold take. Considering the following league leaders in rushing attempts this year:

1. Carolina: 14-0 (33.9 Att/G)

2. Seattle: 9-5 (31.6 Att/G)

3. Us: 6-8 (30.4 Att/G)

4. Arizona: 12-2 (29.5 Att/G)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2015&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_ATTEMPTS_PER_GAME_AVG

Let's hope so, because the Bills' offense this season is from a by-gone era. Throw for points early, get ahead and run out the clock with your fresh RBs in the 4th quarter. That's today's game and we have one of the best receivers and RBs to do this.

Music to my ears.

At least a few people on this board get it.

The game is made to throw the ball. Clay, Watkins, McCoy should combine for nearly 3000 yards receiving.

Rex's defense was supposed to be a terror on opposing QB's. Rex needs to go back to basics. Play man to man up in the receiver's face and blitz from all angles.

Bold take. Considering the following league leaders in rushing attempts this year:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&season=2015&seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&conference=ALL&d-447263-s=RUSHING_ATTEMPTS_PER_GAME_AVG

To the ire of many McCoy fans I have pointed out that the Bills running game with McCoy is simply not physical enough to take the steam out of opposing pass rushes.

Pretty clear to me that Roman does not yet trust Tyrod enuf as a passer to open things up and take more chances and assume more risk (of turnovers).

Don't think this is correct. TT was passing to all spots on the field the last few weeks - with perhaps the only exception being short middle. Roman designed some creative stuff but as other shave pointed out he has opened up the passing game as the season went along. Is that confidence in TT? is it a healthy Watkins?

What would this offense have looked like with a healthy Goodwin and/or Harvin???

The top three have QB's that run anywhere from three to eight times a game and are the top three rushing QB's in the league - Cam 119, Russell 92, TT 80. Not sure but I will guess Arizona runs a lot with the lead late in the game.

Just need to keep the QB healthy if they are going to be part of the run game...

Music to my ears.

At least a few people on this board get it.

The game is made to throw the ball. Clay, Watkins, McCoy should combine for nearly 3000 yards receiving.

Rex's defense was supposed to be a terror on opposing QB's. Rex needs to go back to basics. Play man to man up in the receiver's face and blitz from all angles.

A lot of teams are using a physical running game to batter and soften the opposing defenses and create time for their QB and space for their receivers.

It's common sense.......the ground game has been used to impose the physical will of a team for as long as the game has been around.

Teams will gladly take a lower ypc in exchange for the effect of pounding on a defensive front.

The Bills got low ypc from McCoy while not getting the physical impact they needed from their running game so the volume of carries didn't really have the impact it should have.

Edited by #BADOL

It can work if you have a QB who can make quick reads and get the ball out quickly and accurately...do you think Tyrod can do any of that?

Is it Roman or is it Tyrod that ignores the middle of the field?

I think Tyrod has trouble seeing over the lineman which would also explain their lack of short passing game with everything sideline patterns and deep balls with the occasional screen thrown in there

Edited by Max997

I honestly have no idea what that means.

McCoy is not a punishing back at all.

Much of the league is instead going to less nifty 220-230 pound backs who knock the sh*t out of nickel defenses.

It has an impact.

It's hard to watch an NFL game and not see a DB get trucked and concussed because the 7th man in the box is usually a little DB nowadays.

There was a time when you ran the ball to tire a defense......now you run the ball to tire them and hopefully injure some of their key pass defenders.

You don't get that with McCoy. His objective is to get out of bounds and avoid the hit.

That's not to say he can't take a hit.......he just doesn't give them back.

That allows teams to stay in nickel or dime despite the fact that the Bills run it as effectively yardage-wise as anyone.

It's also why the sudden insertion of Williams or Gillislee often produces a big play.

The big play is nice but they need more physical runs in their offense.

When McCoy went out last week the run game got much more physical and the pass protection got considerably better.....opening up the deep ball for some second half scores.

Let's hope so, because the Bills' offense this season is from a by-gone era. Throw for points early, get ahead and run out the clock with your fresh RBs in the 4th quarter. That's today's game and we have one of the best receivers and RBs to do this.

There definitely has been more than a little of the Daryle Lamonica early 70s Raiders to the Bills offense in the second half ... and that's certainly a by-gone era ...

EDIT: Lamonica's wiki page: "He was nicknamed "The Mad Bomber" due to his affinity for throwing the long pass in virtually any situation." That definitely came to mind as Tyrod cranked up the arm for long rainbows on two 3rd and short situations ...

Edited by The Frankish Reich