Mario Williams: "Bills' personnel doesn't fit Scheme"

Protocal69

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this guy ever going to stop blabbing about this to the media... Seriously... We get it.

C'mon Yolo - it's not for our edification. it's not us who needs to get the message. It's someone else who's first name happens to be Terry.

Is this guy ever going to stop blabbing about this to the media... Seriously... We get it.

What about the other players who are yapping to the media ? How many do we ask to shut up ?

And the flip side, the sheer number of player quotes in the media lead me to believe they dont expect repercussions from the coaches. Is that a good thing ? I happen to think the players should just play and 'keep it in the house'. But it certainly looks like things are a tad out of control there.

Part that made me laugh:

"Williams spoke for 15 minutes at his locker in front of a large group of reporters. The crowd eventually included linebacker Manny Lawson and safety Aaron Williams, who craned their necks to hear.

Lawson eventually told Mario Williams to stop talking because it was time for them to work out."

Translation: "Shut up, Mario"

Edited by Hopeful

Someone else said it, but these players are striking while the iron is hot to get someone canned.

Mario Williams suggests the Buffalo Bills' personnel doesn't fit coach Rex Ryan's defensive scheme, insisting he's simply stating a fact and not intending to be critical.

As for whether he is the right fit, the Bills' top pass-rusher referred to how Buffalo's defense has failed to play to its high-priced expectations this season. ''A scheme's a scheme, but to say that it's going to produce, we haven't had the numbers,'' Williams said Wednesday. ' .... "''Of course there'll be changes,'' Williams said. ''I mean, that's obvious. You just wait and see if my number's called.''

Translation: "Mr. Whaley, Please send the Turk for me. I won't let the door hit me on the ass on the way out of town"

Question for those with defensive expertise:

"The issue for Williams is Ryan's system relies more on linebackers and safeties than linemen."

I would have said that myself - that what Rex had when his system worked were world-class DB, ground-swallowing LB, and meh DL who could fill gaps. What we had going into the season was a depleted DB corp with McKelvin out and a couple guys new in their roles, adequate linebackers, and world-class DL.

Your opinion please?

Regardless of scheme, Mario Williams got destroyed on his one on one matchups all year. Not one ounce of accountability from the worst DE in football in 2015.

All of Marios talk of him dropping back in coverage is like < 5% of snaps. The other 95% is him getting manhandled by whoever lines up against him from the opposing team.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

Mario Williams suggests the Buffalo Bills' personnel doesn't fit coach Rex Ryan's defensive scheme, insisting he's simply stating a fact and not intending to be critical.

As for whether he is the right fit, the Bills' top pass-rusher referred to how Buffalo's defense has failed to play to its high-priced expectations this season. ''A scheme's a scheme, but to say that it's going to produce, we haven't had the numbers,'' Williams said Wednesday. ' .... "''Of course there'll be changes,'' Williams said. ''I mean, that's obvious. You just wait and see if my number's called.''

Translation: "Mr. Whaley, Please send the Turk for me. I won't let the door hit me on the ass on the way out of town"

Question for those with defensive expertise:

"The issue for Williams is Ryan's system relies more on linebackers and safeties than linemen."

I would have said that myself - that what Rex had when his system worked were world-class DB, ground-swallowing LB, and meh DL who could fill gaps. What we had going into the season was a depleted DB corp with McKelvin out and a couple guys new in their roles, adequate linebackers, and world-class DL.

Your opinion please?

Why are you quoting me?

What about the other players who are yapping to the media ? How many do we ask to shut up ?

And the flip side, the sheer number of player quotes in the media lead me to believe they dont expect repercussions from the coaches. Is that a good thing ? I happen to think the players should just play and 'keep it in the house'. But it certainly looks like things are a tad out of control there.

Rex is pretty loud about that's not and never has been his policy, but I personally think there's something to "keep it in house" as a team policy. I think when everyone talks freely, it's too easy for egos to get bruised (especially with a media that is waiting for stuff to puff out of context and generate controversy) or for comments to become a distraction to the team.

Why are you quoting me?

WTF? Where am I quoting you?

Rex is pretty loud about that's not and never has been his policy, but I personally think there's something to "keep it in house" as a team policy. I think when everyone talks freely, it's too easy for egos to get bruised (especially with a media that is waiting for stuff to puff out of context and generate controversy) or for comments to become a distraction to the team.

WTF? Where am I quoting you?

In your post. You quoted me. But I don't know why. Was it directed at me?

Edited by FireChan

Square Hole meet Round Peg.

He is right.

Rex' hire was not well thought out, a knee jerk reaction.

Mario is an all star. Releasing him would be a huge mistake.

Imo

Leroi, not intending to call you out on this or anything, but weren't you the poster who was posting "REBORN!" and quite excited about it when you were one of the first to break the news that Ryan would be hired?

Again, not intending to call you out ....I was never happy about the hire but a lot of people I respect and who really know their football were very very positive about it, and I talked myself into being OK with it, after hearing the "right words" out of Rex about him not being a scheme guy and all that, and also with liking the Roman hire.

So I'm just curious.

In your post. You quoted me. But I don't know why. Was it directed at me?

I have absolutely no idea what in my post you think quoted you, but if you'll identify the part that you think quoted you, I'll clarify anything I can.

I'm sure you make great contributions, but I kind of don't usually don't read you unless something catches my eye (I have limited time and I kind of pick and choose) and until you responded to me, I wasn't aware that you'd posted in this thread.

Leroi, not intending to call you out on this or anything, but weren't you the poster who was posting "REBORN!" and quite excited about it when you were one of the first to break the news that Ryan would be hired?

Again, not intending to call you out ....I was never happy about the hire but a lot of people I respect and who really know their football were very very positive about it, and I talked myself into being OK with it, after hearing the "right words" out of Rex about him not being a scheme guy and all that, and also with liking the Roman hire.

So I'm just curious.

I have absolutely no idea what in my post you think quoted you, but if you'll identify the part that you think quoted you, I'll clarify anything I can.

I'm sure you make great contributions, but I kind of don't usually don't read you unless something catches my eye (I have limited time and I kind of pick and choose) and until you responded to me, I wasn't aware that you'd posted in this thread.

In post #16, my post appears at the top. Does it not in yours?

It looks just like this.

Either way, just thought you were directing something at me.

Edited by FireChan