Congrats to Fred

YoloinOhio

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That cut is going to go down as one of Whaley's worst moves. The Bills have a really bad locker room right now, and he's the sort of player who can make a difference on that front.

He's played 191 out of the teams 842 snaps (23 percent) and has 26 catches. That's reasonably solid production for a role-playing 3rd down back who is 34 years old. Don't tell me the Bills couldn't have used him.

Dave- well stated. I'm pulling for the Cardinals for other reasons but would love to see some great production from Fred and have him enjoy being on a winning team for once. I agree with you they should have kept him. With limited production, i bet he would have even been willing to play ST if asked. The guy just beats Father Time.

The Seahawks are though the hot team no one wants to play in the playoffs like the Steelers in the AFC.

I'm rooting for a Steelers / Cardinals rematch. That would be one hell of a fun offensive showdown between Arians old team that fired him and the one he brought to the SB. Anyone but the Patriots.

It may not have stopped the defense from choking, but his presence may have reduced the chances of this sort of environment developing: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/22/the-bills-havent-had-any-players-only-meetings-this-season/ .

happy for the guy hope he gets an opportunity in the playoffs- he has 89 yds rushing this year

He's more of receiving back than a rusher given that he's a 3rd down player. He has 26 receptions and 32 targets overall. He's mostly in on passing downs.

It may not have stopped the defense from choking, but his presence may have reduced the chances of this sort of environment developing: http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/12/22/the-bills-havent-had-any-players-only-meetings-this-season/ .

You know everyone who's reading this article was waiting for Fred Jackson's name to appear in it.

Good thing Whaley decided Boobie Dixon (ol cement legs) would provide more value to the team than Freddy.

i think he was kept because of his great ST play as well as his ability to be a depth RB. ..and Fred didn't really play ST. But, Dixons injury seemed to have impacted him. He looked very good at ST with two blocked punts in 2014 and decent as a RB. In 2015, he made no impact ST plays and can't run the ball well anymore. I don't think he will be back.

Just joking around, man.

I actually am quite ambivalent about Whaley.

Got it. Merry Christmas!

i think he was kept because of his great ST play as well as his ability to be a depth RB. ..and Fred didn't really play ST. But, Dixons injury seemed to have impacted him. He looked very good at ST with two blocked punts in 2014 and decent as a RB. In 2015, he made no impact ST plays and can't run the ball well anymore. I don't think he will be back.

In the first NE game, Boobie da** near blocked the punt and got tagged for (IMO iffy) running into the kicker penalty. Sure he's done nothing since? ST statistics are shy and hard to spot.

Got it. Merry Christmas!

In the first NE game, Boobie da** near blocked the punt and got tagged for (IMO iffy) running into the kicker penalty. Sure he's done nothing since? ST statistics are shy and hard to spot.

i meant to say (and forgot) that he didn't make any ST plays "that I noticed." He could have, for sure.

Got it. Merry Christmas!

Ive kept an eye on him because I'm still amazed at Whaleys 'Dixon over Freddy' decision. Especially considering I watched Dixon in sweat pants most of training camp, its not like the guy had a great camp.

Dixon had a few big ST plays past year for sure (what's bigger than blocking a punt with one hand on a bullrush. Awesome). Whaley must've had plays like that in mind when he made the Fred cut.

What he didn't anticipate was three things:

-by midseason we would be so depleted at RB that we would be picking guys off the streets to come in and start for the complex Roman offense.

-all season long we could have used Freddy fielding punts, a sure handed, proven punt returner who won't fumble and can still make the first guy miss.

- the lack of leadership issue that is facing our team today. Cant think of a guy better suited to keep this team together right now than FJax.

I like Whaley, and hope he stays on. I believe he is every bit as good as ol' Polian for this team right now, but he'll look back on his career and point to the Freddy move as his biggest judgement lapse.

Good thing Whaley decided Boobie Dixon (ol cement legs) would provide more value to the team than Freddy.

What part of "Boobie is a ST ace, Fredex didn't play special teams" passed you by?

Ive kept an eye on him because I'm still amazed at Whaleys 'Dixon over Freddy' decision. Especially considering I watched Dixon in sweat pants most of training camp, its not like the guy had a great camp.

Dixon had a few big ST plays past year for sure (what's bigger than blocking a punt with one hand on a bullrush. Awesome). Whaley must've had plays like that in mind when he made the Fred cut.

What he didn't anticipate was three things:

-by midseason we would be so depleted at RB that we would be picking guys off the streets to come in and start for the complex Roman offense.

-all season long we could have used Freddy fielding punts, a sure handed, proven punt returner who won't fumble and can still make the first guy miss.

- the lack of leadership issue that is facing our team today. Cant think of a guy better suited to keep this team together right now than FJax.

I like Whaley, and hope he stays on. I believe he is every bit as good as ol' Polian for this team right now, but he'll look back on his career and point to the Freddy move as his biggest judgement lapse.

Dixon had a few spectacular ST plays, but he's a very solid ST player every ST snap. That's his added value.

You're correct about the stuff Whaley didn't anticipate as far as injuries and leadership. There are two additional points though:

-until the injury bug, the thinking was the 1-2 punch would be McCoy and Williams, and (because of Roman wanting a fullback and several TEs dressed) Fredex would have been a healthy scratch.

There are limits to the kind of leadership a player can provide, when he isn't playing whether it be due to roster decisions or injuries. Now, whether Roman's ideas about fullbacks and TEs were good ones, that's a different issue, but that's Roman, not Whaley.

-I don't think their plans ever called for Fred to field punts. I don't remember Fred ever fielding punts? Can you help me out here, when did he do this?

Anyway, I too like Whaley, but I doubt he'll look at the Freddy move as his biggest judgement lapse. I think GM types have to be like DBs, sometimes you win, sometimes you get burnt to a crisp, you have to shake it off and put it behind you.

Edited by Hopeful