Christmas Eve Traditions

BringBackFergy

We do a goose every year for Christmas. We're doing the prime rib for New Years for the first time.

Christmas Eve it's just the two of us. I put out a big spread of food. This year's menu so far:

Homemade cured meats (soppressata, lonza, bresaola, chicken liver mousse, pate campange)

Assorted cheeses (including homemade Camembert)

Home cured salmon

Shrimp or lobster (not sure yet which one)

Champagne for the wife

Sparkling Cider for me :cry:

I need the chicken liver pate recipe....pleeeeze

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

christmas i don't do anything. i may see my parents or at least my mom. i guess, in my family it's just how i grew up not enjoying christmas. too much drama and emotions. i will probably wake up and do farm stuff, i have some fences to work on and am off for a week following christmas. the strange part, i often go a week or two without seeing my parents whom are just across the street.

last year for christmas i went all out. i had some chili and oreos.

Bullet points. I made it a few years ago....boiled the livers then food processor with salt, pepper, etc. but I need good additives (spices you suggest to kick it up)? Gonna make some small baguette toasts (olive oil and garlic toasts).

Ok simple. What you did was fine. Nothing to kick it up other that the booze I put in and the cream.

I usually get four pounds of livers. Whenever I'm at the store I pick some up and pop them in the freezer and make them it when I feel like it.

4# livers

Onion or shallots

Fresh Thyme

Brandy, port or sherry

Heavy cream of half and half

Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Saute the livers and onions or shallots until the livers are done

Remove the livers add the fresh chopped thyme and booze

Reduce by 3/4

Puree the livers in a Cuisinart or food processor (This is the key) Process for a good amount of time to make them smooth.

While they are being processed add the reduced cooking liquid, cream, salt and pepper. They will take a good amount of salt.

And that's the basic process. I put them in small 4oz mason jars and top with goose or duck fat if I have it. If I don't (which I didn't for the last batch) I top with clarified butter. This helps keep them from exposure to the air and they stay in the fridge for a long time.

You really should take the bullets out before you eat it

Dude. I live in Oakland.

Ok simple. What you did was fine. Nothing to kick it up other that the booze I put in and the cream.

I usually get four pounds of livers. Whenever I'm at the store I pick some up and pop them in the freezer and make them it when I feel like it.

4# livers

Onion or shallots

Fresh Thyme

Brandy, port or sherry

Heavy cream of half and half

Salt and fresh ground black pepper

Saute the livers and onions or shallots until the livers are done

Remove the livers add the fresh chopped thyme and booze

Reduce by 3/4

Puree the livers in a Cuisinart or food processor (This is the key) Process for a good amount of time to make them smooth.

While they are being processed add the reduced cooking liquid, cream, salt and pepper. They will take a good amount of salt.

And that's the basic process. I put them in small 4oz mason jars and top with goose or duck fat if I have it. If I don't (which I didn't for the last batch) I top with clarified butter. This helps keep them from exposure to the air and they stay in the fridge for a long time.

Awesome. Thanks J. I did use sherry last time, but didn't think of the cream. Fresh thyme will be great as well. Will report back.

My dream would be to make a prime rib roast. But it seems too daunting and too expensive to screw up.

JR, try this. Pretty foolproof and easy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/foolproof-standing-rib-roast-recipe.html

Two things

1) I always use a dual themometer , one that has one temp for oven and one one for the roast. At very least buy an oven one to make sure you know your oven.

2) do NOT NOT NOT open the oven door to look. Will ruin this whole method. Old BBQ saying applies here...if ya lookin, you ain't cookin!

Have used this method about 5 times, worked great every time. I also slice about 3 cloves of garlic into thin slices and insert into holes made into meat with a paring knife along with a piece of rosemary.

Really only issue is can't use oven to cook any sides, so hopefully you have a second oven or convection microwave or something.

Edited by plenzmd1

I plan on being bummed this Christmas eve, my kids cant come home this year.

Soory to hear that Dib. I am mentally getting ready for that day even though hope not for a couple more years at least.

This will be first year I was not either at home with my parents or in my own home. Going to Charleston to BIL house. Fishing during day, hopefully get something to contribute to Christmas Eve dinner. Hay, maybe a new tradition

JR, try this. Pretty foolproof and easy.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/foolproof-standing-rib-roast-recipe.html

Two things

1) I always use a dual themometer , one that has one temp for oven and one one for the roast. At very least buy an oven one to make sure you know your oven.

2) do NOT NOT NOT open the oven door to look. Will ruin this whole method. Old BBQ saying applies here...if ya lookin, you ain't cookin!

Have used this method about 5 times, worked great every time. I also slice about 3 cloves of garlic into thin slices and insert into holes made into meat with a paring knife along with a piece of rosemary.

Really only issue is can't use oven to cook any sides, so hopefully you have a second oven or convection microwave or something.

Thanks! I think I am going to try this, maybe for New Years.

We have all the family and friends over to our house for homemade Meatball or Sausage subs. Homemade bread makes the meal. an old family recipe we were given. We do the gifts, if their are any, so that the family can do their own thing on Christmas day. We have nerf gun fight with the children, plenty of adult beverages for the "adults". we reminisce about the past year, etc, etc....top it off with its a wonderful life before bed. In the past, the movie was on while we put the gifts under the tree. now, no gifts...

As for the prime rib, i have done several. I even bought a whole rib yesterday. I always put mine on the smoker. I love the smokiness of the final result. Keep the rub simple, salt, black pepper, garlic, and onion. I smoke it low and slow at 225. Definitely use the two probe remote sensor to monitor your temps. I prefer the Low and slow method because that is the only way to get a uniform level of color throughout the meat. I want it rare to medium rare depending on guests preferences. hot and fast gives you a gray, well done outer ring leading in to a red warm center. not what i prefer, but you may. The ONLY downside to smoking it, i dont like the Aus jus because it is too smoky. So we make one from a beef base instead of from drippings. What i need to do is learn to make aus jus from the bones after i smoke, see how that comes out.....

Good luck! And dont be afraid. its easy. only way to screw it up really is to burn it.....

Merry Christmas everybody!

Magic dust. A little for me...I little for Santa Claus....I little more for me.....I little more for Santa Claus.

nice one

My dream would be to make a prime rib roast. But it seems too daunting and too expensive to screw up.

I'll tell you how it goes...or we can ask NOVA above. :)

Die Hard...one of my favs. Good call. I may have to pop that in after we watch "Christmas Story" for the 58th time.

My wife just mentioned the exact thing WRT Die Hard

Prime Rib Roast. You buy an electronic thermometer and let it do the work.

Rare is easy, Well done is even easier. Getting 4 to 5 ribs worth is more daunting just because of the size

Maybe Chef can best explain.

if the can be un Scrooged

color me breathless with anticipation.

<start auto message>Auto Reply: Please stay on topic. Your comments are irrelevant to the subject matter being discussed. Further attempts to derail the Holiday spirit in this thread may result in a tongue lashing from Gugny or TRBJ (Moderator apprenti). Thank you. <end auto message>

Years ago my family would have a party for extended family and friends. As people aged or moved that trickled down to just our immediate family. I think this is the first year they won't have anyone coming over Christmas Eve.

For me, I'll go to the girlfriends mothers house where her family does their big Christmas gathering that night. Food, presents, etc. Christmas morning we will then go to my parents house.

Party at my parents house. Lots of family and friends...about 30 people. Dad does prime rib, steamers, shrimp, and all the fixins. My grandmother used to do 7 types of seafood (Sicilian thing), but she is getting older now so she only does her famous calamari dish. Mom does like 8 different types of deserts plus Italian cookies. Lots of drinks, laughs and good food. After everyone leaves, we bring all the presents down and put them under the tree. My Father and I enjoy a nice cigar on the back deck in front of the fireplace if it's not too cold. Great times and lots of traditions.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks