New Orleans To Remove Excremental Rebel Monuments

Tiberius

The confederates committed treason and people are really that upset the statues are coming down? Just getting mad for no reason. If they stop teaching it then you get made

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The confederates committed treason and people are really that upset the statues are coming down? Just getting mad for no reason. If they stop teaching it then you get made Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That debt was payed over 150 years ago.

Perhaps you could (Aristocratically) explain why the statues come down in 2017 ?

not 1899?

1967?

1909?

2005?

What is different now ?

Bonus question: why were they put up ?........................to celebrate slavery ?

The confederates committed treason and people are really that upset the statues are coming down? Just getting mad for no reason. If they stop teaching it then you get made Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They represent part of the history of this country. Taking them down is denying that history. Maybe we should burn the history books too?

Then by all means, let's rewrite history so that future generations never know the nation's struggle against slavery, the lives lost trying to maintain the union, the struggle of brother against brother, or the underlying cause of black Americans' struggle for equality.

post-88-0-52155100-1495304172_thumb.jpg

Then by all means, let's rewrite history so that future generations never know the nation's struggle against slavery, the lives lost trying to maintain the union, the struggle of brother against brother, or the underlying cause of black Americans' struggle for equality.

post-88-0-52155100-1495304172_thumb.jpg

Where is history being re written?

Would you support a John Wilkes booth statue? After all he was trying to start the war again. How about the other guys executed for killing Lincoln?

Where is history being re written? Would you support a John Wilkes booth statue? After all he was trying to start the war again. How about the other guys executed for killing Lincoln? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's like asking if he would support a Timothy McVeigh statue. It's totally irrelevant.

Where is history being re written? Would you support a John Wilkes booth statue? After all he was trying to start the war again. How about the other guys executed for killing Lincoln? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a question if I or anyone else would support erecting a statue of Booth or any of his fellow conspirators, but whether I would support their removal. I would not. We recognize and commemorate historical acts, not all of which were heroic. If you wish to cleanse evil from the time line, concentrate on the future and leave the past alone.

It's not a question if I or anyone else would support erecting a statue of Booth or any of his fellow conspirators, but whether I would support their removal. I would not. We recognize and commemorate historical acts, not all of which were heroic. If you wish to cleanse evil from the time line, concentrate on the future and leave the past alone.

We don't often celebrate the losers or the enemies of our nation. Nowhere do I say cleanse it from history. Keep it in the text books, in museums etc. but there is no need to have giant statues that "look upon the north" as if they think the war is still on.

We don't often celebrate the losers or the enemies of our nation. Nowhere do I say cleanse it from history. Keep it in the text books, in museums etc. but there is no need to have giant statues that "look upon the north" as if they think the war is still on. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's ridiculous. Are we keeping our revolutionary war hero statues to "look upon Britain"? Do we do so to thumb our noses at England? No, we do so to honor their sacrifice and heroism. Remember that to many in the south, both past and present, that the civil war was about states' rights vs the tyranny of a central authority, and they consider those who gave their lives and led the cause to be heroes. They don't do so out of some misguided lamentation over the freeing of slaves.

Edited by Azalin

We don't often celebrate the losers or the enemies of our nation. Nowhere do I say cleanse it from history. Keep it in the text books, in museums etc. but there is no need to have giant statues that "look upon the north" as if they think the war is still on. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Museums are next, if they aren't already being taken down.

Also,since when do we celebrate losers in this country? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the Vietnam Memorial, you !@#$ing idiot.

Also,since when do we celebrate losers in this country? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.onwardtogether.org/

You're an idiot. Learn something - anything - about Robert E. Lee before you spout off this idiocy.

Says the man posting on a Buffalo Bills message board :rolleyes:

There's a statue of George Washington in a British uniform back home. Considering Washington's less than stellar record in His Majesty's service, should that statue be removed?

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/george-washington-in-a-british-military-uniform

It's a positive step. Those statues were symbols of slavery and racism. Robert E Lee was as guilty as the rest of the Confederates of the human rights disaster he was fighting for. His failed march into Pennsylvania to the ultimate battle at Gettysburg was marked by the orgy of slave gathering his troops engaged in. He knew what he was fighting for.

http://www.post-gazette.com/news/state/2013/06/30/Confederates-slave-hunt-in-North-a-military-disgrace/stories/201306300221

Perhaps a thousand people were chained, tied up and driven south to be treated as animals. Some freedom fight

It's thier city. Let 'em do what they want and everybody else butt out.

I might feel that way had there actually been a vote held, but even under those circumstances I would question the wisdom of censoring history.

I might feel that way had there actually been a vote held, but even under those circumstances I would question the wisdom of censoring history.

Is it really censorship when they're so completely ignorant about it? You don't see anyone clamoring to rename Huston...and Sam Huston was a far stronger supporter of slavery than Robert E. Lee.

Is it really censorship when they're so completely ignorant about it? You don't see anyone clamoring to rename Huston...and Sam Huston was a far stronger supporter of slavery than Robert E. Lee.

Oh great. Now we're going to have to listen to the rename Houston crap. Good job bringing that to their attention.

Not to the point of treason, though.

I'm pretty sure you could find someone here to analogize recreational cannabis with slavery.

I don't think it was the reason they seceded that they were considered treasonous. It's the fact that they seceded period.

I think if they seceeded they would be traitors. Add to that, Trump would have tanks rumbling down the 5 to Sacramento to take it back very quickly. There's a lot of tanks etc in CA.

Don't worry. History is still safe in New Orleans. They still have this Civil War Museum: http://www.neworleansonline.com/directory/location.php?locationID=1253

Let's speculate. The fact that many in CA are suggesting it. Are they traitors? Come on, you must have an opinion on this.

This is an interesting question in that I think it depends on the nature of CA's manifestation of their intentions to secede. If they sought a legal channel to do so by petitioning the federal government for instance, then I can't see it's leaders as being treasonous. If, however, they should decide to engage in treasonous acts like the leaders of confederate states did at the time, then I think it would be fair to label them as traitors.

As an example, in the months leading up to Lincoln's inauguration, when Buchanan was content to do nothing but pass the buck to a newly elected president, the confederacy engaged in over 50 seizures of federal property, including military installations, weapons and equipment; including naval ships. Additionally, thousands of US military personnel broke their oath to the United States and defected. These acts were the very definition of treason against the United States.

Let's speculate. The fact that many in CA are suggesting it. Are they traitors?

According to our governor, we're note traitors. We're freeloaders.

That's right. The people who pay taxes to a give free food, shelter, education and cellphones to millions of illegal immigrants...we're the freeloaders.

That's the party of gatorman.

This is an interesting question in that I think it depends on the nature of CA's manifestation of their intentions to secede. If they sought a legal channel to do so by petitioning the federal government for instance, then I can't see it's leaders as being treasonous. If, however, they should decide to engage in treasonous acts like the leaders of confederate states did at the time, then I think it would be fair to label them as traitors.

As an example, in the months leading up to Lincoln's inauguration, when Buchanan was content to do nothing but pass the buck to a newly elected president, the confederacy engaged in over 50 seizures of federal property, including military installations, weapons and equipment; including naval ships. Additionally, thousands of US military personnel broke their oath to the United States and defected. These acts were the very definition of treason against the United States.

If they had succeeded in their secession then they would have been as free as we were when we succeeded from Great Britain. They obviously weren't successful in their secession so they could be considered as traitors. It was Lincoln and his magnanimous insistence upon healing the nation that kept the pot simmering instead of boiling.

Hell, in that case we should just rename everything in the US that isn't named for native Americans or Mexicans, because, you know - CRT.

The aim and accomplishment of Lincoln to preserve the Union by admitting the Confederates back, after loyalty oaths and such, is one of the most magnanimous actions in war history.