Report: Seantrel Henderson Has Crohn's Disease

26CornerBlitz

Maybe people like Joe B (and others on this board) who have been over the top critical of this guy will relax and gain some perspective.

At least one guy on this board suggested that Seantrel was not sick but only wanted to avoid playing against JJ Watt.

In fairness, every time a guy in the league isn't playing well, I wouldn't expect a guy whose job it is to evaluate football players to withhold criticism because there's a chance he might have inflammatory bowel disease.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@mikerodak

Bills’ Seantrel Henderson reportedly has Crohn’s Disease. Here’s @MikeReiss story on how affected NE’s Matt Light: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7903017/matt-light-reveals-decade-long-battle-crohns

@viccarucci

#Bills OT Seantrel Henderson is battling Crohn's disease & could miss final 3 games of the season. Full story: http://bit.ly/1ZcCBZY

Wow, very sad. Best to the young man. Hopefully he makes a speedy recovery and is able to live a full life.

1. Prednisone is not an anabolic steroid. Has nothing to do with PED's.

2. Crohn's is managable. Wonder if they knew at the time of the draft or if this is a new diagnosis. Either way as others have said he can play if they get it under control.

3. Diet has almost no affect. Gluten affects celiac sprue not Crohn's. Though they can become vitamin b12 deficient and develop anemia - especially if they need surgery. The part of small intestine removed is critically important for b12 absorption.

4. Lastly... it is time for Kujo to play. Let him start final three games.

2. Crohn's is managable. Wonder if they knew at the time of the draft or if this is a new diagnosis. Either way as others have said he can play if they get it under control.

3. Diet has almost no affect. Gluten affects celiac sprue not Crohn's. Though they can become vitamin b12 deficient and develop anemia - especially if they need surgery. The part of small intestine removed is critically important for b12 absorption.

I have not found the bolded to be true. In fact, diet has quite a large effect -- it's just individualized. The rest is on point though. Whether or not Seantrel can play through this all depends on how severe his case is. If he's only got a mild case of the disease, he should be able to perform fine once he makes the proper adjustments to his nutrition and workout routines. If it's a more severe case, he won't be playing football for long.

In fairness, every time a guy in the league isn't playing well, I wouldn't expect a guy whose job it is to evaluate football players to withhold criticism because there's a chance he might have inflammatory bowel disease.

Some of the comments by Joe B and certain people on this board have been WAY over the top.

I have Crohn's Disease and can assure you that a) diet is critical to managing Crohn's (although as I stated already, more often than not, if I'm in full on remission, I can eat whatever I want and if I'm mid flare, anything will set it off) and b) everyone's illness is wildly different. Gluten absolutely affects me and makes me bloated. In fact, most people I know with Crohn's are affected by gluten more than anything else. For me, greasy foods are not an issue, for many they are.

And as far as calling the dude out and saying it's time for him to play, you do realize he hasn't even returned to Buffalo yet after being hospitalized in Philly, right?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Yes - but it also shuts off your immune system. Enjoy your skin cancer.

Wow. Speechless.

Edit: you know what...I'm going to address that because it bothers me what you wrote on many levels.

First of all, I have been diagnosed and treated at the Keck Medical Center of USC. I hope Seantral has medical care that good. They are excellent.

Second, I am not treating Seantrel, and I'm not suggesting what medication he take. I posted what I take now. He's younger than I am, and he'll have different reactions to what he's given. Patient responses vary.

Next, skin cancer is a risk, as are other things, with other autoimmune medications. I've been on strong autoimmune medication for 13 years. No cancer yet. Lucky me, or to put it in words that you understand - I'm not having fun yet.

What qualifications do you have to make such a comment? My doctors agree that what they've prescribed for me is the best course of action for me. But, please, you tell me what's better. Your ignorant comment doesn't surprise me. I do research, and so do my doctors. In my case, at my age, cancer from this medication is extremely low risk. But you can still hold out hope that I get it, okay. I want the best life for me, for my loved ones. I hope, but nothing is certain.

Finally, you're a dick. Howard Stern publically wished cancer on his enemies 30 years ago. So get a new schitck. Now he's kissing every ass he can smell, probably because of self hate, which is a level you haven't even reached yet. For you to write what you did, tells all. Hopefully I never see you at a Bills game. But it won't be hard to find you if I do. There will be a guy acting like the biggest !@#$ in the section, and it will be like, Oh, there he is...

Edited by Thrivefourfive

@mikerodak

Bills’ Seantrel Henderson reportedly has Crohn’s Disease. Here’s @MikeReiss story on how affected NE’s Matt Light: http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/7903017/matt-light-reveals-decade-long-battle-crohns

@viccarucci

#Bills OT Seantrel Henderson is battling Crohn's disease & could miss final 3 games of the season. Full story: http://bit.ly/1ZcCBZY

Poor guy, no wonder he's struggled at times.

Finally, you're a dick...Hopefully I never see you at a Bills game. But it won't be hard to find you if I do. There will be a guy acting like the biggest !@#$ in the section, and it will be like, Oh, there he is...

Typically wouldn't allow a post like this to remain and I'd delete the one you quoted, but, in this case both will stay. Sometimes people need to see what an !@#$ they can be at times (the one you quoted, not you).

Yes - but it also shuts off your immune system. Enjoy your skin cancer.

You are a dick, you know that, right?

Crohn's disease is essentially an autoimmune disorder, like other inflammatory diseases are now known to be. In addition to being painful and debilitating, it can be life-threatening. So it needs to be treated, and treated effectively.

Any drug that shuts down the runaway part of the immune system is going to partially shut down the rest of the immune system, and they all have side effects. It's a risk/benefit analysis in all cases.

Kind of ironic that you picked a class of drugs that is very effective to counterbalance the rare but serious side effects, and picked on one of the most easily detected and treated side effects to boot