Spotrac Manage Roster Tool - 2016 Bills Salary Cap

thebandit27

Mario would make more sense to restructure, only saving a few million dollars by cutting him versus restructuring and then still have to replace him.

Clay will be restructured taking a $10 million roster bonus and converting it to a signing bonus which will save 7.5 million on the cap next year.

Mckelvin will get cut saving 3.9 million

Carpenter might be on the block also...

Aaron Williams might not retire. If he does we will take a hit for the rest of his signing bonus next year mitigating any cap savings.

You save 12.9 million in 2016 by cutting Mario. It is absolutely the correct move.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mario would make more sense to restructure, only saving a few million dollars by cutting him versus restructuring and then still have to replace him.

Clay will be restructured taking a $10 million roster bonus and converting it to a signing bonus which will save 7.5 million on the cap next year.

Mckelvin will get cut saving 3.9 million

Carpenter might be on the block also...

Aaron Williams might not retire. If he does we will take a hit for the rest of his signing bonus next year mitigating any cap savings.

Mario would need a new contract, not a restructure. He only has 2 years left on his deal - 2016 and 2017. In order to restructure, there have to be years left in the contract over which you can spread the money that you are converting from base salary to signing bonus money. I suppose it's possible that they add a year to his deal, but I don't think that--based on this year--they're ready to commit more guaranteed money to him to do so.

With Clay, they could restructure his deal, but it's better long-term if they don't. If you can absorb one big year, then the final 3 are very reasonable.

McKelvin's toast, no question.

Same with Carpenter IMO.

Aaron may not retire, but if he does, then they don't have to pay his option bonuses, roster bonuses, or base salary. A release would cost the team cap space, but a retirement would actually save almost $4M. One of he or Corey Graham will likely not be back.

Spotrac now has a new roster management tool that is extremely useful when looking at next year's cap situation.

Try it yourself:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/

Here's what I did:

Released

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams (retirement)

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Dan Carpenter

Boobie Dixon

Savings against the cap - $32.675M

Assuming the cap will be $150M (in actuality it'll be a bit higher), that puts the team at $33M under the cap. I didn't want to touch Clay's deal, as leaving it alone provides a lot more space down the road.

Re-sign

Cordy Glenn - 5 years, $35M with $11M gtd (same contract as Jared Veldheer got from Arizona; neither has made the pro bowl, but both are bona fide starting LTs). Assume cap hit of $8M in year 1.

Richie Incognito - 5 years, $25M with $8M gtd (close to Clint Boling's deal in Cincinnati; less money due to age). Assume cap hit of $5M in year 1.

Stephon Gilmore - 5 years, $55M with $30M gtd (more than Byron Maxwell, less than Joe Haden). Assume $11M cap hit in year 1 (same as his rookie contract option year cap hit).

Do Not Re-sign

Nigel Bradham - down year and not a great fit for this defense

Alex Carrington - too many injuries and too many guys that can play his role; also getting Jarius Wynn back from injury makes him expendable

The above leaves the Bills $20M under the cap to add some pieces in FA.

Thoughts?

Practical, well thought out, and forward looking. I can't disagree with any of these moves. My priorities are as follows:

1. Fix the defense, Rex is not going anywhere, so get him the pieces. This includes taking a look at Muhammad Wilkerson, and a nose guard. A front of Wilkerson-Harrison-Dareus is feasibily strong. Hughes-Brown-Lawson-Bradham will not all be back. I'm guessing Lawson and Bradham are out, and we will need to draft and acquire 2 more to play with Hughes and Brown. If we can get Gilmore back, we are set at corner. We need major help at Safety to play his defense.

2. Bring the left side of the OL back and fix the right side.

3. Our playmakers are good except for having a bigger or better #2 receiver.

4. Tyrod looks like he is and can improve. I'm an advocate for drafting a developmental QB. I like the Doughty kid.

Edited by The Thurmanator

Who cares. We suck. If we couldn't win with this line up, we're not going to win with the new new and improved.

Yeeesh. This is how you wish to introduce yourself to the board? Sit back and read for a while, please.

You're likely correct, Bandit. At the very minimum, the specific player finances you list HAVE to be addressed in the off-season. I guess the Homer in me hopes Kyle & Mario are open to renegotiate team-friendly new deals. This said, I've been shocked at Mario's staggering drop off in play this season. Gilmore, Glenn & Incog must stay. You KNOW the FO is going to have to top last off-seasons' theatrics to convince 10's of thousands of fans, who are feeling duped today, to get back on the bandwagon.

Let me guess: Kraig Urbik, IK, Jordan Gay

I kept Urbik: I think he's a totally acceptable backup.

and paid accordingly. Same way i feel about EJ honestly - there aren't better backup qb's available really.. none of them are good. He at least already knows the playbook.

I kept Urbik. I cut Felton (who is mostly useless) and CK, and I also did some restructures.

Felton has to be fringe at best this year. Whats the deal with Post june cuts again? Does that push some of it into 2017 or something?

and paid accordingly. Same way i feel about EJ honestly - there aren't better backup qb's available really.. none of them are good. He at least already knows the playbook.

Felton has to be fringe at best this year. Whats the deal with Post june cuts again? Does that push some of it into 2017 or something?

You may as well bring EJ to camp to compete with another veteran since it doesn't cost anything to do so...I wouldn't count on him to make the squad. In fact, if they sign a vet and draft someone, that's when I'd cut ties with EJ.

650,000 toward the cap...yeah no point in cutting him in 2016...2017 he is gone.

I still think he has value. He threw the key block on Gillislee's TD run.

If Felton can become this team's biggest problem, we'll be competing for an AFC Championship.

You may as well bring EJ to camp to compete with another veteran since it doesn't cost anything to do so...I wouldn't count on him to make the squad. In fact, if they sign a vet and draft someone, that's when I'd cut ties with EJ.

I just look at backup Qbs around the league starting - some look ok and most look bad. The good ones will eventually get a look as a starter, and the rest make their way around the league being terrible at every stop. The ones who look better also have had multiple years behind the same guy, or similar systems.

No cap savings to cutting Ej, I would keep him too, looking at the backups around the league, we could do a whole lot worse. Going to one kicker would allow us to keep 3 and develop another one after EJ is gone in 2017.

Edited by billsfan714

Spotrac now has a new roster management tool that is extremely useful when looking at next year's cap situation.

Try it yourself:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/tools/roster/buffalo-bills/

Here's what I did:

Released

Mario Williams

Kyle Williams

Aaron Williams (retirement)

Leodis McKelvin

Manny Lawson

Dan Carpenter

Boobie Dixon

Savings against the cap - $32.675M

Assuming the cap will be $150M (in actuality it'll be a bit higher), that puts the team at $33M under the cap. I didn't want to touch Clay's deal, as leaving it alone provides a lot more space down the road.

Re-sign

Cordy Glenn - 5 years, $35M with $11M gtd (same contract as Jared Veldheer got from Arizona; neither has made the pro bowl, but both are bona fide starting LTs). Assume cap hit of $8M in year 1.

Richie Incognito - 5 years, $25M with $8M gtd (close to Clint Boling's deal in Cincinnati; less money due to age). Assume cap hit of $5M in year 1.

Stephon Gilmore - 5 years, $55M with $30M gtd (more than Byron Maxwell, less than Joe Haden). Assume $11M cap hit in year 1 (same as his rookie contract option year cap hit).

Do Not Re-sign

Nigel Bradham - down year and not a great fit for this defense

Alex Carrington - too many injuries and too many guys that can play his role; also getting Jarius Wynn back from injury makes him expendable

The above leaves the Bills $20M under the cap to add some pieces in FA.

Thoughts?

I wouldnt cut KW in a million years he is too valuable.

I would resign Bradham he is a great player and will not cost a lot.

I also think AW will return.

I am torn on Mario, if Rex is going to use him as he was used this season we need to let him go. Not a good fit, his effort was not there, may be better to let him walk.

In FA I hope we can land a stud RT to solidify our OL. Also need to replace Woods, likely in the draft.

Edited by peterpan

I wouldnt cut KW in a million years he is too valuable.

I would resign Bradham he is a great player and will not cost a lot.

I also think AW will return.

I am torn on Mario, if Rex is going to use him as he was used this season we need to let him go. Not a good fit, his effort was not there, may be better to let him walk.

need the cap space from mario. KW can still ball, and hes the only leader left on the team. AW will be back. If we lose bradham - look for another mid-round guy to replace him on the roster - and powell will probably start in his place.

Great post ... mostly because it brings people back to reality. The OP's scenario is a pretty likely one, but that really doesn't matter. What does matter is that this team is going to lose some major contributors. OK, you want to keep Mario? Then goodbye to Gilmore or Glenn or someone else due a significant payday. Or keep them all and tie your hands completely, unable to dip into the free agent market for anything more than a stopgap (think Chris Williams, or Urbik) at some key positions where you need to get better. This is why some of us have been saying you have to win in 2015 -- a lot of what Whaley did was to sacrifice the future for the present. Only thing is this: they haven't won in 2015. Oops.

Practical, well thought out, and forward looking. I can't disagree with any of these moves. My priorities are as follows:

1. Fix the defense, Rex is not going anywhere, so get him the pieces. This includes taking a look at Muhammad Wilkerson, and a nose guard. A front of Wilkerson-Harrison-Dareus is feasibily strong. Hughes-Brown-Lawson-Bradham will not all be back. I'm guessing Lawson and Bradham are out, and we will need to draft and acquire 2 more to play with Hughes and Brown. If we can get Gilmore back, we are set at corner. We need major help at Safety to play his defense.

2. Bring the left side of the OL back and fix the right side.

3. Our playmakers are good except for having a bigger or better #2 receiver.

4. Tyrod looks like he is and can improve. I'm an advocate for drafting a developmental QB. I like the Doughty kid.

both of Cincy's starting Safeties are UFAs and are both pretty good. Reggie Nelson and George Iloka. They won't pay both IMO.