A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

THE PLAYERS

Jesus Christ does nobody on this board have a !@#$ing clue about accountability?

Yes, and it falls on the people who hold them accountable. I've worked in many a jobs and the most disorganized places have the least disciplined leadership.

I understand that it's the players making the mistakes. But it's because they either get caught up in emotion, lack or respect for the result, or have no fear or retribution. That all comes from the coaching.

THE PLAYERS

Jesus Christ does nobody on this board have a !@#$ing clue about accountability?

Who do you think commits the penalties Einstein?

But it's the coach who instills or doesn't instill discipline

Rex will give them all a big hug after the game.

If it was one game of penalties, I'd be madder at the players. When it's a season of undisciplined play, I blame the coach.

And when the defense goes from best to worst under the guidance of the head coach, I'll go ahead and blame the coach too. I'm going to guess MArio Williams doesn't want to drop into coverage.

Edited by Observer

Yes, and it falls on the people who hold them accountable. I've worked in many a jobs and the most disorganized places have the least disciplined leadership.

I understand that it's the players making the mistakes. But it's because they either get caught up in emotion, lack or respect for the result, or have no fear or retribution. That all comes from the coaching.

Then by all means let's get a micro managing hard ass like Marrone to coach this team.

Who do you think commits the penalties Einstein?

But it's the coach who instills or doesn't instill discipline

Rex will give them all a big hug after the game.

If it was one game of penalties, I'd be madder at the players. When it's a season of undisciplined play, I blame the coach.

And when the defense goes from best to worst under the guidance of the head coach, I'll go ahead and blame the coach too. I'm going to guess MArio Williams doesn't want to drop into coverage.

!@#$ Mario Williams. Nobody in Houston lost sleep when their first overall pick bounced, Buffalo won't be any different.

May be you can help us all understand what sort of guidance multi million dollar twenty year olds need.

Horse ****. Players make plays.

I was at the game too. Coaching didn't lose this 3 point contest. You will not convince me otherwise.

And that's a prime example of why your takes are usually wrong.

Even when you diss Spiller.......who does suck........you are wrong because you think it's a physical issue.

Undisciplined football combined with calling plays and running schemes that your players can't execute is about coaching. As is displaying mental toughness needed to win close games against teams you should beat.

And that's a prime example of why your takes are usually wrong.

Even when you diss Spiller.......who does suck........you are wrong because you think it's a physical issue.

Undisciplined football combined with calling plays and running schemes that your players can't execute is about coaching. As is displaying mental toughness needed to win close games against teams you should beat.

Lol okay

I've been consistently wrong...about Spiller.

Yep

!@#$ it lets blow the whole !@#$ing thing up

Yep that works

The ref who tried to make an out of bounds call on the Wadkins touchdown should be fired. He either did not see the play, alhtough he was standing right there, and thought Wadkins was out of bound so made that call or he saw the play and actually thought Wadkins' foot was out of bounds, even though it was 10 inches inbounds. In either case he should not be an NFL ref.

I can see throwing a long pass at 2nd and 3, but I really can't see doing it a second time immediately after that at 3rd and 2.

Well that's what I was trying to say. Players say they love Rex, but he is costing them wins. There has to at least be more of a balance.

I used to teach high school math. And I was the kids' favorite because I related to them, made jokes, etc. But eventually all the little stoppages in instruction led to more unruly behavior and lower test scores.

I can relate to this, only with teaching history, though.

I do, but the Bills players have nobody to answer to. They are THE most penalized team right? They must not care what Rex thinks.

It would be hard under any conditions watching Rex destroy the team. The fact that we had to listen to his grandiose claims how he was going to make us a "bully" that other teams would not want to play makes him that much harder to bear.

Imo Rex Ryan is a Jauron type loser except he has a big mouth. At least with Jauron we could lose in peace.

Edited by Bill from NYC

I do, but the Bills players have nobody to answer to. They are THE most penalized team right? They must not care what Rex thinks.

It would be hard under any conditions watching Rex destroy the team. The fact that we had to listen to his grandiose claims how he was going to make us a "bully" that other teams would not want to play makes him that much harder to bear.

Imo Rex Ryan is a Jauron type loser except he has a big mouth. At least with Jauron we could lose in peace.[/quote.]

Players make plays

Then by all means let's get a micro managing hard ass like Marrone to coach this team.

!@#$ Mario Williams. Nobody in Houston lost sleep when their first overall pick bounced, Buffalo won't be any different.

May be you can help us all understand what sort of guidance multi million dollar twenty year olds need.

Horse ****. Players make plays.

BTW, the Texans didn't lose sleep over Mario because they thought they had some future double digit sack guys in the wings behind him.

That failed.

They ended up using a #1 overall pick on Jadeveon Clowney to replace Mario as a bookend to JJ Watt.

Just like the McCoy deal money was the most important factor.

As for your take in this thread.......I think some people on here obviously work in environments where leadership above them isn't as critical to day to day production as it is in an NFL locker room.

The NFL is a grind and the depth chart nature of the business means that the people above really need to keep A LOT of order.

It's not easy to keep guys on point when personnel are constantly coming and going whether via transactions or injury.

So saying it's just "on the players" discounts the fact that personnel is very fluid and initiation/training time is very short so what needs to be consistent is the organizational message so that personnel can step in and know exactly what is expected of them.

BTW, the Texans didn't lose sleep over Mario because they thought they had some future double digit sack guys in the wings behind him.

That failed.

They ended up using a #1 overall pick on Jadeveon Clowney to replace Mario as a bookend to JJ Watt.

Just like the McCoy deal money was the most important factor.

As for your take in this thread.......I think some people on here obviously work in environments where leadership above them isn't as critical to day to day production as it is in an NFL locker room.

The NFL is a grind and the depth chart nature of the business means that the people above really need to keep A LOT of order.

It's not easy to keep guys on point when personnel are constantly coming and going whether via transactions or injury.

So saying it's just "on the players" discounts the fact that personnel is very fluid and initiation/training time is very short so what needs to be consistent is the organizational message so that personnel can step in and know exactly what is expected of them.

A great argument for comtuinity

Imo Rex Ryan is a Jauron type loser except he has a big mouth. At least with Jauron we could lose in peace.

There are some people in the audience who don't understand how important the HC is in the NFL. It is the coach who sets the tone and creates the environment that allows the players to prosper or struggle. Without wasting time discussing schemes the primary responsibility is to put his players in the best position to succeed. Anyone who believes that RR wasn't instrumental in the dramatic regression of our defense is not being realistic. It is stunning to me to see what happened to this defense. It is like seeing someone wearing a tux with white socks and brown shoes. It's a bad fit that is starkly evident to everyone.

What is revealing about the caliber of RR's coaching talent is not how he has mangled his job in his first year with the Bills. The before and after measuring stick is the the team he left in shambles in NY. When he got fired they were a four win team. Now they are 8-5 with a very good probability they will be in the playoffs this year. Oh by the way Ftiz is their starting qb.

Rex is going to be the HC next season. That is bad enough. My biggest fear is that this buffoon will have more authority in personnel decisions in order to refashion a roster that better suits him. If you think he has set this franchise back with his coaching approach you will be more demoralized with him being more active in selecting the players.

Does it? Hughes got plenty of PI calls under Marrone. You just can't compare it to the business world as it's a reverse situation. Except for players on the fringes of the roster, the players have the power because they are the talent. They make more than their " bosses" and will be given another chance by another " company" if cut. So it's not a good argument. There really isn't any retribution possible because the coaches know they need the top talent to win. If they know they have a top QB and a real chance to win, they will be accountable to each other. It's a lot easier for a Belichick to get all his guys to " buy in" as the players expect to win. The Bills really don't expect to win, regardless of what they say.

There are some people in the audience who don't understand how important the HC is in the NFL. It is the coach who sets the tone and creates the environment that allows the players to prosper or struggle. Without wasting time discussing schemes the primary responsibility is to put his players in the best position to succeed. Anyone who believes that RR wasn't instrumental in the dramatic regression of our defense is not being realistic. It is stunning to me to see what happened to this defense. It is like seeing someone wearing a tux with white socks and brown shoes. It's a bad fit that is starkly evident to everyone.

What is revealing about the caliber of RR's coaching talent is not how he has mangled his job in his first year with the Bills. The before and after measuring stick is the the team he left in shambles in NY. When he got fired they were a four win team. Now they are 8-5 with a very good probability they will be in the playoffs this year. Oh by the way Ftiz is their starting qb.

Rex is going to be the HC next season. That is bad enough. My biggest fear is that this buffoon will have more authority in personnel decisions in order to refashion a roster that better suits him. If you think he has set this franchise back with his coaching approach you will be more demoralized with him being more active in selecting the players.

I think it is more complicated than defense was great and Rex broke it.

Mario Williams is a different player this year. He aged overnight. You see him not winning one-on-one matchups. Matchups he won last year. So take away one pro-bowler on the D line.

Kyle Williams hasn't been there most of the year. Take away another pro-bowler on the D line.

Marcel Dareus-seems to be used as an inside run stuffer by necessity. I don't know if moving him around would help but he not the force he was last year.

So out of the 3 pro-bowl linemen missing in various ways, only Dareus seems like a scheme change issue.

The Jets stuff is well-known and discussed but your take doesn't account at all for major roster changes. I said before the year started that the Jets were the most improved team by a lot.

I also think that Rex was hired because of his defense and he needs to run what he wants. He was brought here to create complex pressures on QB's and that doesn't happen as much out of a 4-3 wide nine that we ran last year. Even if Rex was adaptable (most coaches are not) and ran a 4-3 this year, age and decline in the DL would force the Bills to move to a 3-4 at some point anyway. Belichick struggled for many years when he changed his schemes in NE. People don't remember this because he had Brady to cover up some bad defenses.

Does it? Hughes got plenty of PI calls under Marrone. You just can't compare it to the business world as it's a reverse situation. Except for players on the fringes of the roster, the players have the power because they are the talent. They make more than their " bosses" and will be given another chance by another " company" if cut. So it's not a good argument. There really isn't any retribution possible because the coaches know they need the top talent to win. If they know they have a top QB and a real chance to win, they will be accountable to each other. It's a lot easier for a Belichick to get all his guys to " buy in" as the players expect to win. The Bills really don't expect to win, regardless of what they say.

If coaches don't have the control and influence as you are suggesting explain to me the obvious contrast how the Jets are currently playing well after RR departed compared to when he was coaching the team?

We all are familiar with the Jets qb, Fitz. So we can't attribute the dramatic improvement in record to simply qb play, especially when RR is getting the best qbing in Buffalo from TT that it has had for a very long time and compared to what Marrone had to work with at that position.

The dour Marrone had a 9-7 record and then left. If you want to make the claim that it really was an 8-8 record because the Pats conceded the meaningless game for them, then that is okay. Rex took over basically the same defense with the addition of Darby at CB, a serious rookie of the year candidate. Whaley clearly upgraded the offense by adding McCoy, Incognito, Clay and Miller to that unit.

The bottom line is that Marrone did better with less compared to what Rex had to work out. My point is simple: this team has regressed under the loquacious RR. Coaching matters!

I think it is more complicated than defense was great and Rex broke it.

Mario Williams is a different player this year. He aged overnight. You see him not winning one-on-one matchups. Matchups he won last year. So take away one pro-bowler on the D line.

Kyle Williams hasn't been there most of the year. Take away another pro-bowler on the D line.

Marcel Dareus-seems to be used as an inside run stuffer by necessity. I don't know if moving him around would help but he not the force he was last year.

So out of the 3 pro-bowl linemen missing in various ways, only Dareus seems like a scheme change issue.

The Jets stuff is well-known and discussed but your take doesn't account at all for major roster changes. I said before the year started that the Jets were the most improved team by a lot.

I also think that Rex was hired because of his defense and he needs to run what he wants. He was brought here to create complex pressures on QB's and that doesn't happen as much out of a 4-3 wide nine that we ran last year. Even if Rex was adaptable (most coaches are not) and ran a 4-3 this year, age and decline in the DL would force the Bills to move to a 3-4 at some point anyway. Belichick struggled for many years when he changed his schemes in NE. People don't remember this because he had Brady to cover up some bad defenses.

You make some excellent points. But the NFL of today is about player movement and annual roster changes. That is part and parcel of the landscape. The roster for the Bills was upgraded from the prior year, especially on offense. The team that Rex inherited on balance was better than the team that Marrone had to work with.

Rex Ryan coached the Jets for six year. Their overall record was not very impressive. The longer he coached the team the more it regressed. The team he left was in shambles. You are attempting to make the point that the Jets' roster is currently upgraded compared to the prior years so it is not a fair comparison when he was the HC. That makes no sense because he not only was involved in coaching the players on the roster but he was also involved with the GM in assembling the roster.

If you are trying to make the argument that he is a good coach then my question is on what are you basing it on? The record? The team's discipline? The team's collective intelligence?

There was nothing in RR's resume as a HC that made him an appealing candidate for the Buffalo job. It was a peculiar hire. The season is coming to a conclusion and the disappointing performance of his team is a reflection of his history as a HC. It was a bad hire and the results shouldn't be a surprise.

This is why Mario wanted out of Houston…the scheme there changed and he was in a 3-4 OLB role. I recall reading their fan reactions when we got him as a FA, they all pointed to him disappearing for several game spans in the last year or 2 of his tenure when he was unhappy.

Which of course is entirely untrue. He was leading the league in sacks playing OLB in his first year in the scheme and then got hurt.

Everyone was healthy when Tom Brady passed for a franchise record against this defense in week 2.

We were healthy when Andy Dalton ripped it to shreds in week 6.

The injury excuse is a joke. This team has been wildly inconsistent on defense and they don't ever put pressure on the QB or get turnovers. Sounds like a Rex Ryan defense.

They hired Rex because Pegula fell for Rex's BS hook line and sinker.

Schwartz was here with an all healthy defense playing a good scheme fit for the DL when the Patriots did this to us last year...

Tom Brady threw four touchdown passes and posted his 60th career 300-yard game to lead theNew England Patriots to a 37-22 win over the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

On the long TD pass to Agholar - Dareus did a ballet move - I swear to God it was a pirouette of some kind - he pranced right by Bradford and may even have kicked his heels together in the air before landing.

This coaching staff is not able to concentrate fully for 17 full weeks, or for 60 full minutes on game day. Many of the players on this roster were already undisciplined knuckleheads before Rex showed up - but this team has fully adopted the scatterbrained, undisciplined, ADHD personality of its head coach and offensive coordinator.

Tyrod lacks situational awareness. Throwing a fade on critical third and short situations is straight out of Va Tech. We're in the big leagues now. Get your mind in the game or we'll find someone else to play under center.

Watkins had his worst game as a Bill. He failed to separate, failed to extend himself, and dropped two passes.

Richie also had his worst game as a Bill. Maybe all of the talk this week about him being the best guard in the league got to his head. Which would also fit the personality of a Rex team - these guys think, just like their coach does, that they can just show up and win because they're so great and talented. Richie was ABYSMAL today.

As for all of the unforced errors and pre-snap penalties, I'll say this: fans have a say now. It's not like when Ralph was in charge and we were worried that if we voted with our dollars he'd just move the team away. Terry isn't going to do that. If you don't like what you see out there - complain to OBD. And consider not buying season tickets next season. Make this COMPANY earn our hard-earned dollars for a change. The product this season has been unacceptable. And if they do what I think they're going to do and make Whaley the fall guy when we miss the playoffs again, Rex will be exposed next season for the total boob that he is. I may not pay to watch it again, I've effing had it.

That's why they call you Coach!! You nailed it. Time to start releasing the idiots who keep making the same dumb mistakes. Jimmy Johnson didn't accept the nonsense

You make some excellent points. But the NFL of today is about player movement and annual roster changes. That is part and parcel of the landscape. The roster for the Bills was upgraded from the prior year, especially on offense. The team that Rex inherited on balance was better than the team that Marrone had to work with.

Rex Ryan coached the Jets for six year. Their overall record was not very impressive. The longer he coached the team the more it regressed. The team he left was in shambles. You are attempting to make the point that the Jets' roster is currently upgraded compared to the prior years so it is not a fair comparison when he was the HC. That makes no sense because he not only was involved in coaching the players on the roster but he was also involved with the GM in assembling the roster.

If you are trying to make the argument that he is a good coach then my question is on what are you basing it on? The record? The team's discipline? The team's collective intelligence?

There was nothing in RR's resume as a HC that made him an appealing candidate for the Buffalo job. It was a peculiar hire. The season is coming to a conclusion and the disappointing performance of his team is a reflection of his history as a HC. It was a bad hire and the results shouldn't be a surprise.

I think Rex Ryan is like a lot of coaches. When he has the right players he can win which he has proven by taking two teams with Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game. Very disappointed that he couldn't get more out of the players but a lot happened this year.

The Jets coach inherited a Rex Ryan base group of players that perfectly fit what he does on defense. Unfortunately, we have found out that changing schemes can take time and not every player excels. As I said before, the good news is that we took our lumps this year.

What's your point?

There is no comparison to last years defense. It was 100 times better then what we are seeing this year and it's not due to injury.....

You are all over the map. First, you bring up a random Patriot game from this year so that's why I brought up a random Patriot game from last year. Apples to apples.

I already explained some of what I thought happened from last years D to this year. But in your universe players never get old or decline and players never get injured.

I think Rex Ryan is like a lot of coaches. When he has the right players he can win which he has proven by taking two teams with Mark Sanchez to the AFC Championship game. Very disappointed that he couldn't get more out of the players but a lot happened this year.

The Jets coach inherited a Rex Ryan base group of players that perfectly fit what he does on defense. Unfortunately, we have found out that changing schemes can take time and not every player excels. As I said before, the good news is that we took our lumps this year.

Rex's record in NY is very ominous. The longer he coached the team the more it declined. The current coach in NY is an upgrade from the glib coach that the organization fired.

There is no doubt that the players that the new Jet coach inherited fit the scheme he favored. He demonstrated that he was smart enough to keep the scheme that worked and fit the players he had. Compare that to the talkative Buffalo coach who changed the scheme that didn't fit the players he inherited. The more successful coach in NY was astute; the loud coach in Buffalo was a dumb ass.

With all the guys out or not 100%, our defense played good. That side of the ball wasnt the problem today.

Neutral zone, neutral zone, neutral zone, hey let's let Ertz do a Jim Brown impression to win the game.

I'd say defense was only part of the problem.

Edited by Observer

Rex's record in NY is very ominous. The longer he coached the team the more it declined. The current coach in NY is an upgrade from the glib coach that the organization fired.

There is no doubt that the players that the new Jet coach inherited fit the scheme he favored. He demonstrated that he was smart enough to keep the scheme that worked and fit the players he had. Compare that to the talkative Buffalo coach who changed the scheme that didn't fit the players he inherited. The more successful coach in NY was astute; the loud coach in Buffalo was a dumb ass.

You do realize that Rex's coaching the year before he was fired was considered masterful? The year he got fired he was trotting out Geno Smith at QB.

I don't fault any coach for not winning with Geno. Just like I wouldn't expect anyone to win with EJ Manuel.

Neutral zone, neutral zone, neautral zone, hey let's let Bent Celek do a Jim Brown impression to win the game.

I'd say defense was only part of the problem.

With the amount of heat they got on Bradford I'll take it. Unlike the olines false start fiascos which netted nothing positive Edited by JTSP

Your explanation for the fall off from the defense is completely bogus.

Age? And you are serious? They brought back every player from the defense last year outside of Spikes and Searcy and added a top notch corner in Darby.

What is Mario? 31. Age my ass. We heard it in training camp and during the season. These players upfront hate the scheme and it's showing.

The entire defensive line has been neutralized thanks to the defensive coaching staff but I don't expect someone with a picture of Rex Ryan as their avatar to admit this....

I think you were trying to respond to me but messed up.

Yes, let's talk about Mario Williams. If you think he is the same player as last year you are not watching the same football games. He has hit a wall. He is now just another guy. I don't care what the scheme is. When you are lined up one on one and can't beat below average players you are not the same player as last year. This has been all year, not just the recent foot injury issue. I think Mario is done and that is a big loss for a team investing 20 million a year on him.

You do realize that Rex's coaching the year before he was fired was considered masterful? The year he got fired he was trotting out Geno Smith at QB.

I don't fault any coach for not winning with Geno. Just like I wouldn't expect anyone to win with EJ Manuel.

Rex did not make the playoffs his last four years with the team.

If you believe that Rex is a good HC that is fine. That's your opinion. I don't. I think he is less than mediocre. That is my opinion.

Your explanation for the fall off from the defense is completely bogus.

Age? And you are serious? They brought back every player from the defense last year outside of Spikes and Searcy and added a top notch corner in Darby.

What is Mario? 31. Age my ass. We heard it in training camp and during the season. These players upfront hate the scheme and it's showing.

The entire defensive line has been neutralized thanks to the defensive coaching staff but I don't expect someone with a picture of Rex Ryan as their avatar to admit this....

You have assaulted the wrong person! LOL

Rex did not make the playoffs his last four years with the team.

If you believe that Rex is a good HC that is fine. That's your opinion. I don't. I think he is less than mediocre. That is my opinion.

You have assaulted the wrong person! LOL

I try not to just be average joe fan. Average joe fan just looks at the last 2-3 games and what have you done for me lately. Belichick is amazing with Brady, just a coach with communication issues when he was at Cleveland.

This is a QB league. Get me a very good QB and your coach will probably look very good too.

I think you were trying to respond to me but messed up.

Yes, let's talk about Mario Williams. If you think he is the same player as last year you are not watching the same football games. He has hit a wall. He is now just another guy. I don't care what the scheme is. When you are lined up one on one and can't beat below average players you are not the same player as last year. This has been all year, not just the recent foot injury issue. I think Mario is done and that is a big loss for a team investing 20 million a year on him.

Who killed the Mario? The Rex killed the Mario

This is true, it was considered by many to be his best coaching job.

But the killer here is that he sank this season trying to jam his complicated defensive scheme on this team.

That Jets team was in year 5 of his system.

Things have changed since Rex first got the Jets job and players practice much less so a good coach knows he has to implement systems that can be easily assimilated.

The easy part of their schedule was September and October and his schemes just put them in a deep hole which they haven't been able to dig themselves out of.

His D is working better but the scheme still doesn't fit the best players the Bills have and exposes their worst.

Gameday mistakes and undisciplined play have subsequently killed them in key road games at KC and Philly.