Doc Who Discovered CTE says "Don't Let Kids Play Football"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Millions of American citizens have played the game and lived nice long lives. Most players don't make it to college, heck not even high school... the game is being made safer with head trauma in mind. Football build character and teaches team, accountability, preparation, goal setting, pride, and to me most importantly learning to live with winning and losing.

It's not just the head injuries, you have people who played only in high school needing knee and hip replacements in their early 50s. Once you get to college ball the severity of the hits increases tremendously. All sports to some extent put people at risk of injuries and problems down the road, but football in particular requires many things out of your body that can lead to significant problems in later life. Heads and knees simply are not meant to be rammed by very hard plastic items with great force.

Is there any doubt repetitive head trauma whether minor or not is bad for your brain. Just look at former boxers. I'll also go out on a limb and say playing basketball is bad for your joints.

And playing hockey is bad for your dentition :)

Please watch the following and let me know what you think afterward:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/league-of-denial/

Concussions are BAD news, especially multiple ones. They amount to nothing more than brain damage. You would let you kids play a game that can result in traumatic brain injury? That doesn't seem quite righ, especially since 99% of the population won't be going pro.

I love the big hit tho, I'm not gonna lie. It's a blood sport.

My kids never wanted to play football. I would have let them play had they asked, but wouldn't now. My son got a concussion playing volleyball. Who would've thought. It was a month and a half before he was cleared to participate in track, as the school did base level concussion testing and he couldn't pass, and I believe it was over a year before he was fully back to his usual personality.

...and don't let them climb trees, crawl around a jungle gym, ride a bicycle, play any sport with any degree of contact, don't let them bat in baseball, no golfing because of errant balls cracking their skulls, no rough housing with your brothers or sisters, no bouncing on the bed, no bouncing in a bounce house, no riding ponies...just roll them in bubble wrap. Jeez!

...and don't let them climb trees, crawl around a jungle gym, ride a bicycle, play any sport with any degree of contact, don't let them bat in baseball, no golfing because of errant balls cracking their skulls, no rough housing with your brothers or sisters, no bouncing on the bed, no bouncing in a bounce house, no riding ponies...just roll them in bubble wrap. Jeez!

I love false equivalencies.

@NICK_WKBW

From the Dr. who discovered CTE, an engaging thought provoking piece in the NYT: "Don’t Let Kids Play Football" http://nyti.ms/21IClUy

Thanks, Corner. Indeed interesting read.

One question I have is what sort of incidence of trauma there is in rugby? Like football, it is a very physical game, but played without helmets and pads. The bad news is it's easy for a down player to get accidentally kicked in the head (and the team ethos if it's thought deliberate - well let's just say Suh wouldn't last too long in a rugby scrum). The good news is players never use their helmet/head as a weapon.

Article on the topic: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-17959764

My kids never wanted to play football. I would have let them play had they asked, but wouldn't now. My son got a concussion playing volleyball. Who would've thought. It was a month and a half before he was cleared to participate in track, as the school did base level concussion testing and he couldn't pass, and I believe it was over a year before he was fully back to his usual personality.

Heh. Yeah, I thought volleyball was a pretty safe sport - after all, the teams have no contact and your own teammates are trying to get out of your way. But yeah, every year a couple girls seem to go out for the season with concussion.

Plus my kid has broken a bone in her hand, and broken her finger. Both in warmups.