Sal Maiorana thinks some fans are insane

Truthfully, I wouldn't trade our fans for any other team's fans. It is true that some go overboard. Heck, I can't even stomach coming on here for a few days after a loss. But at least they care.

Living in Charlotte for 5 years (while the Panthers were not good) gives me perspective on what a true and loyal fan base really is. They weren't angry. They weren't flooding radio shows with there angry tirades. They just tuned out like the Panthers weren't even playing games. That was sad.

some of us want the one year fix and when we dont get it we yell NEXT....such as this year - facts are a first year coach taking over a new team usually doesnt make the playoffs. Now figure in new offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, new coaches to the players, new players to the coaches, a first year starting qb, the injuries its a lot to overcome with a good veteran qb even without the injuries. This team isn't dead yet but our expectations are unrealistic

some of us want the one year fix and when we dont get it we yell NEXT....such as this year - facts are a first year coach taking over a new team usually doesnt make the playoffs. Now figure in new offensive scheme, new defensive scheme, new coaches to the players, new players to the coaches, a first year starting qb, the injuries its a lot to overcome with a good veteran qb even without the injuries. This team isn't dead yet but our expectations are unrealistic

BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH! That's one BLAH for each year we've missed the playoffs including this year!

Edited by Billsmovinup

If I understand what Sal is saying he is talking about how it is insane to continue to roll over coaches/management year after year after year and hope for a better result....

and he is right

Rex has made some mistakes this year there is no doubt about that

THis defense is not what we needed it to be there is not doubt

The team is not a finished product there is no doubt

BUT

We CANNOT keep rolling over coaches and expect this team to improve....it needs stability......Rex is here and he is GOING TO BE HERE and fans need to accept that and embrace it

The likelyhood of this team looking more like a Rex team then Rex getting fired is FAR more likely

We need to find a quality nose guard......where is Ted Washington when we need him?

OK, there's still a chance to make the playoffs. There's a grab bag of so-so teams following the three good ones in the AFC, and why shouldn't the Bills be one of the teams that gets in.

Also, OK, there's a chance that Ryan really knows what he's doing, and he sees that the Bills defenses the past two years were really good but not good enough to win (not that I buy that at all) so he's blowing up the defense to bring in the players he needs to fashion the modern defense he knows (yeah, right) is the right approach to win.

Really, though, Ryan isn't that smart. The Bills defensive collapse (no Mario, no Kyle, no Gilmore, no McKelvin) will take them to the division cellar next year, and we'll be a bottom five team going into the 2017 draft. Still not bad enough to get the QB we need for the long haul. And Shady will be old or cut and still using up salary cap space. Here's to 2020 when the next three-year plan will come to fruition.

Isn't Sal the guy who's always insanely negative about the Bills? This is a strange about face. He must enjoy covering Rex. It makes him feel relevant. I just get a laugh out of this because calling for Rex to be fired this early sounds like something Sal himself would say. P.S Rex is a joke.

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The fact is, Rex Ryan took a defense that was near the top of the league the past two years, returning most of its players and adding a rookie CB who exceeded all expectations. And he ruined it. It's a below-average group that can't stop anyone now. The players can't use their abilities and they're asked to do things they're not good at. And it's December and they still don't say they understand what they're supposed to do.

The offense is much better but than under Hackett, thanks to Roman and not Ryan. So if the only thing saving Ryan's job is fear of starting over, that's not much to go on. Better to pitch Ryan than to pitch all the talent and money invested in the defense, before he gets to work during the offseason getting rid of players like Mario Williams who don't fit his way of doing things. It takes a lot longer to assemble a powerful defense like Pettine and Schwartz used so well, than to bring in a coach who isn't too arrogant and stupid to take advantage of the players he had available.

Can we please stop pretending that this defence won the SB last year? Have we forgotten about the egg that it laid in Oakland in a must win game? This defence has played well at times just like last years did but neither are dominant. This team needs consistency with competent leadership. If you don't think that's Rex then fine but please stop it with the "he's ruined this defence" argument, he hasn't.

Can we please stop pretending that this defence won the SB last year? Have we forgotten about the egg that it laid in Oakland in a must win game? This defence has played well at times just like last years did but neither are dominant. This team needs consistency with competent leadership. If you don't think that's Rex then fine but please stop it with the "he's ruined this defence" argument, he hasn't.

I'm going to make this simple. They are a lot worse this year than last year. I don't know how anyone can deny that. Kyle Orton was the problem last year, and this is coming from someone who isn't completly sold on TT or Roman. We put a lot of heat on QBs last year. We have seen next to nothing this year. KC wouldn't have torched last years defense like they did with us last week. I could be wrong though. It's possible Blake Bortles and Alex Smith are Hall of Fame bound. We'll find out soon if Hoyer needs a bust made too. They did lay an egg at Oakland last year, but that was really the only major defensive letdown last year. We've had a ton this year. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I HAVE SEEN ENOUGH of losers to already know that next year the team will be spinning its wheels again in trying to obtain the players "needed" to fit Rex Ryan's defensive scheme.

Well if you seen enough good time to jump off Bills bus, just watch your head on landing not that you are using it much,

Fact: There are NOT pro bowl defensive linemen - How many pro bowls has Jerry been to already again? it does not matter how much fans say "he deserved to be there" - he never has been there.

Fact: Good coaches have had bad seasons even NFL Hall of Fame coaches.

It appears that Sal was using you as an inside source on insanity. Maybe this time he has a source not just made up.

Worked in Medical Library, insanity is often used as legal construct but there is a medical definition although the term insanity is a simplification of a group of conditions.

I'm 99.99% sure there is no disorder or family of disorders referred to as insanity under current DSM-5 or ICD-10 classifications. Ergo, not a medical condition.

What do you think will happen to a Buffalo Bills fan base that is so beaten down by bad teams over the last 15 years, and without even a hint of playoffs in all that time. Of course they will go ballistic because they expected greatness on defense. That was a big reason why this team set a record for season seat sales this year.

Bills fans are so desperate for a winner they bought into a 4-12 head coaching hire. This fan base bought into Rex Ryan, and all his big talk and bluster just like all the Jets fans did. There is no question the man is so very likable with his down to earth persona in having beers with fans at the local watering hole. Getting his truck painted in the Bills color scheme. Then they also bought into the 6 mill dollar RB acquisition in Shady McCoy, and they bought into big money for TE Charles Clay.

But what matters most is what happens on the field, and with just like the Jets fans he is letting Bills fans down. Its his defense that is letting the team down this year no question, and its not because the excuses he used with a tear in his eye when he was fired from the Jets " the GM was out to get me fired, and didn't get me the players i needed". Its not because the QB is so bad he throws interceptions every game, and is ruining the year for us all. (Geno Smith)

Bills fans have earned the right to be unhappy with another loser of a choice at head coach, and now we fans have to wonder... do we need to wait three more years before these new owners realize they made a mistake?

Just like the team did with Greg Williams 3 years wasted- Mike Mularkey 2 years wasted - Dick Jauron 3 1/2 years wasted- Chan Gailey 3 years wasted-Doug Marrone 2 years wasted-Rex Ryan one year, and I HAVE SEEN ENOUGH of losers to already know that next year the team will be spinning its wheels again in trying to obtain the players "needed" to fit Rex Ryan's defensive scheme.

I guess the four pro bowl defensive linemen already on the team weren't good enough for Rex Ryan...

Ok, you don't like Ryan . That's fine, but which winning HC )that was available and wanting to come to Buffalo with no QB and no high draft pick, )would you have preferred ?

The problem with Rex as a coach is not that he is having a bad year but he is continuing his history of being a mediocre coach. He was fired from an organization in which he left in shambles. Was it totally his fault? Of course not. No HC can be totally at fault for a team's failure. But without a doubt he certainly was a primary contributor for the downward spiral in NY. Don't let anyone tell you that he didn't have a say on draft picks and free agent signings. He was collaborating with the GM all the way through his tenure. The end product was a disaster.

You are right that many people are exaggerating the talent level of some of the players on defense. But that isn't the issue. It was a tremendous unit last year under Schwartz and it has become a disjointed and ineffective unit under him.

Will the Pegulas pull the plug on their brash HC whose mouth doesn't match his performances on the sidelines? Most people recognize that it is unlikely. The reality is that the longer he coached the Jets the worse it got and the more chaotic it got for the circus he presided over. That is the fear.

The mounting frustration is not simply about this wasted season but it has to do with the fact that this boisterous fool has a lucrative five year contract and that he will be back next year. The longer an incompetent boss remains on the job the longer time the incompetent has to wreak havoc on the company. Facing that extended reality is the source of the mounting frustration. A bad hire is a bad hire.Giving more time is not a solution---it becomes a compounding problem.

Well said

Rex isn't going anywhere.

He was even part of the World Junior press conference. He's a key part of the Pegulas' organization for the foreseeable future.

Besides, we are GOING to the playoffs this season, and when that happens Rex will be royalty around here.

True enough. And like most transitions, he'll arguably have improved the team in year one.

Ok, you don't like Ryan . That's fine, but which winning HC )that was available and wanting to come to Buffalo with no QB and no high draft pick, )would you have preferred ?

You're right, I don't like Ryan, and I didn't like the hire of a 4-12 head coach who clearly had lost his team last year. I clearly remember Ryan on the sidelines looking lost during this two beatings the Bills gave the Jets last year in 43-23 & 38-3.

However, I want what all Bills want and that is to win, and have the team get into the playoffs!! Should Ryan get this years team into the playoffs I'll shut my mouth about him but still will dislike how he neutered a playoff defense, and turned them into an average to bad defense this year.

Great coaches don't make players fit their schemes, and instead get the most out of the players they already have. The Bills have 1/4 billion dollars in their defensive line, and its players are mostly being misused this season. Should Ryan return as the Bills HC next year I can see the Bills retooling the defense again to fit his scheme. Three of the four Bills D linemen made the pro bowl last year, and played on one of the best defenses this team has had in years, and now it needs to be dismantled because the HC can't figure out how best to utilize the players on the roster.

What really gets me is when the Bills do call an all out blitz they usually get to the QB, so its very frustrating watching this passive pass cover defense this season.

Anyway in response to the question. It might have been better if the Bills had given it another week or two before hiring Ryan because John Fox became available, and he could have accepted the job the job in Buffalo. There is no doubt in my mind he would be making better use of the Bills front four this year. Plus, Fox was just coming off three years in a row in the playoffs in Denver. Hrrmm, a 6-10 / 8-8 / 4-12 HC the last three years or a 13-3 / 13-3 / 12-4 HC. Decisions, decisions.

You're right, I don't like Ryan, and I didn't like the hire of a 4-12 head coach who clearly had lost his team last year. I clearly remember Ryan on the sidelines looking lost during this two beatings the Bills gave the Jets last year in 43-23 & 38-3.

However, I want what all Bills want and that is to win, and have the team get into the playoffs!! Should Ryan get this years team into the playoffs I'll shut my mouth about him but still will dislike how he neutered a playoff defense, and turned them into an average to bad defense this year.

Great coaches don't make players fit their schemes, and instead get the most out of the players they already have. The Bills have 1/4 billion dollars in their defensive line, and its players are mostly being misused this season. Should Ryan return as the Bills HC next year I can see the Bills retooling the defense again to fit his scheme. Three of the four Bills D linemen made the pro bowl last year, and played on one of the best defenses this team has had in years, and now it needs to be dismantled because the HC can't figure out how best to utilize the players on the roster.

What really gets me is when the Bills do call an all out blitz they usually get to the QB, so its very frustrating watching this passive pass cover defense this season.

Anyway in response to the question. It might have been better if the Bills had given it another week or two before hiring Ryan because John Fox became available, and he could have accepted the job the job in Buffalo. There is no doubt in my mind he would be making better use of the Bills front four this year. Plus, Fox was just coming off three years in a row in the playoffs in Denver. Hrrmm, a 6-10 / 8-8 / 4-12 HC the last three years or a 13-3 / 13-3 / 12-4 HC. Decisions, decisions.

Well, they didn't know Fox would become available. There is always a time factor with these hires as HCs need to assemble a staff. The larger point is Fox likely would have wanted a QB and chosen Chicago anyway. The Bills haven't sniffed the playoffs with their defense and Brady/ Belichick reside atop the AFCE. I doubt a winning HC would have taken the Bills job, so the option was either an inexperienced coordinator type( which the Bills have tried and failed at many times in recent years) or Ryan. The Pegulas obviously didn't want the former.

We won despite Rex today. He did everything he could to give this game to the Texans in the 2nd half. Until the TD to Clay, the sphincter factor on a 1 to 10 scale was about a 15. Of the 21 passes thrown today, only 4 went to Sammy. The problems remain, but the team overcame their coaching for the win. Did anybody else scream at the TV when we rushed 3 and dropped 8 on that 3rd and 10 in the 4th QTR? Jesus.

Well, they didn't know Fox would become available. There is always a time factor with these hires as HCs need to assemble a staff. The larger point is Fox likely would have wanted a QB and chosen Chicago anyway. The Bills haven't sniffed the playoffs with their defense and Brady/ Belichick reside atop the AFCE. I doubt a winning HC would have taken the Bills job, so the option was either an inexperienced coordinator type( which the Bills have tried and failed at many times in recent years) or Ryan. The Pegulas obviously didn't want the former.

You asked, I answered in what winning coach was there to hire, and now you say he wouldn't have taken the job in Buffalo. You or I don't know that, and in my opinion in that Fox has a defensive background he might have loved to coach this Buffalo Bills front four. Speaking of Brady / Belichick I think that Rex Ryan isn't the guy that will dethrone the Patriots from atop the division any time in the near future no matter who he has on defense.

We won despite Rex today. He did everything he could to give this game to the Texans in the 2nd half. Until the TD to Clay, the sphincter factor on a 1 to 10 scale was about a 15. Of the 21 passes thrown today, only 4 went to Sammy. The problems remain, but the team overcame their coaching for the win. Did anybody else scream at the TV when we rushed 3 and dropped 8 on that 3rd and 10 in the 4th QTR? Jesus.

This.

We expected greatness on defense this year, and some of the players are giving that at times Darby, Gilmore, Rambo have all been playing so well despite the lack of pass rush leads me to think these men might have made to the pro bowl this year if Schwartz was still the DC.

Sal Maiorana is certainly entitled to his opinion on keeping Rex Ryan for more years. I happen to disagree simply because I've seen enough ineptitude over the years to realize this is just another example of the team spinning its wheels while wasting more precious years that the team can never get back. Haven't we all have seen enough of that?

Ryan is a supposed defensive guru, and that part of the team is clearly under performing. So the new owners keep him and allow him to retool the defense like he wants. Then only to see the team keep failing is so many areas like they are this year. Penalties-poor special teams coverage units-poor game management- poor reg flag management on the road- undisciplined teams.

The Bills with this win moved back into 8th place, and it was mostly because of the offense playing well. The Buffalo Bills offense managed 390 yards against a defense that had given up an average of only 250 yards the last four games.