Someone needs to go - who is it??

San-O

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yes lets switch coaches again that what the good organizations do. We would have run McCarthy out of town when he went 6-10 for Green Bay but..THEY didn't do it why ? Because they understand it's not a one year deal. Our fans win or your out- back on the merry go round

Interesting choice of analogy.

-When Green Bay went 6-10 under McCarthy, it was his 3rd year, and GB had gone 13-3 and 1st in their division the previous year.

-It wasn't 'cuz of Rodgers instead of Favre, the offense was killing it

-the D, on the other hand, had slipped from 6th in the NFL to 22nd in the NFL

So the "sacrificial penguin" in GB was not McCarthy, but Bob Sanders, his DC. Sanders got the axe, Dom Capers came in to replace him, the Pack made the playoffs the following year with a 7th ranked D and won the superbowl 2 years later.

Point being, with an "underperforming" team, the status quo was NOT maintained in GB, someone's head did roll. However, that was after 3 years.

+1. Continue to build the roster to fit the new systems on both sides of the call and magically the plays that are called work.

This response (not just from you, Yolo, but from the several that make it) just has me grinding my teeth, because "players that fit the scheme" is such an elusive goal. How often does a team have a rack of players that fit the scheme so when the injury bug bites, the "next man up" runs the same scheme? Answer, they don't, championship teams win because in addition to talented players, they have coaches who are flexible enough to fit the scheme to the players.

Rex, loudly and repeatedly, "talked the talk" of not being a "scheme" guy and of saying to Whaley "just give me talented football guys and I'll use them" ie that they don't have to fit some particular physical mold. So basically what the above response is saying is that Rex is, in fact, the penultimate "scheme guy" who is unable to utilize supremely talented football players unless they fit his scheme?

This response (not just from you, Yolo, but from the several that make it) just has me grinding my teeth, because "players that fit the scheme" is such an elusive goal. How often does a team have a rack of players that fit the scheme so when the injury bug bites, the "next man up" runs the same scheme? Answer, they don't, championship teams win because in addition to talented players, they have coaches who are flexible enough to fit the scheme to the players.

Rex, loudly and repeatedly, "talked the talk" of not being a "scheme" guy and of saying to Whaley "just give me talented football guys and I'll use them" ie that they don't have to fit some particular physical mold. So basically what the above response is saying is that Rex is, in fact, the penultimate "scheme guy" who is unable to utilize supremely talented football players unless they fit his scheme?

Who's the last guy if Rex is next to last?

Interesting choice of analogy.

-When Green Bay went 6-10 under McCarthy, it was his 3rd year, and GB had gone 13-3 and 1st in their division the previous year.

-It wasn't 'cuz of Rodgers instead of Favre, the offense was killing it

-the D, on the other hand, had slipped from 6th in the NFL to 22nd in the NFL

So the "sacrificial penguin" in GB was not McCarthy, but Bob Sanders, his DC. Sanders got the axe, Dom Capers came in to replace him, the Pack made the playoffs the following year with a 7th ranked D and won the superbowl 2 years later.

Point being, with an "underperforming" team, the status quo was NOT maintained in GB, someone's head did roll. However, that was after 3 years.

While I'm opposed to major changes like firing the entire staff and starting over, Id have no problem if they got rid of Thurman (and Crossman). Bonus if they bring Pettine back as DC.

Here is who should go: Robey, Carpenter, Rex, Dennis Thurman, Greg Roman, the entire offensive line except for Incognito who probably has 1 year left of football, Preston Brown, and all of the safeties except for Corey Graham. If you replace those positions wisely, then you might have a playoff team.

I'm feeling, lately, that they might cut ties with Mario, which would greatly free up the money for Gilmore, Glenn, and Incognito, and at least in NY, Rex liked DL high in the draft. Weakening our DL by losing Mario likely has us picking a DL with one of our top 2 picks, and we almost have to get a LB or S in the first 3 rounds, too, so might not be room to get a QB unless someone falls and you simply cannot ignore him. I don't see it happening. Unless we fill one of these positions I mentioned in FA, before the draft.

Richardson and wilkerson have been beasts. I'd be in for that.

Well, what is the deal with Whaley and his contract? Seems from what I have read that this is the last year of his contract. Do we know if this is true? Kind of weird that there has been nothing from the local Buffalo sports media as to whether there have been any discussions to extend Whaley's contract.