Ownership must address attention to detail

BADOLBILZ

As is often the case with "player's coaches" Rex Ryan teams have long struggled with attention to detail.

It shows up on the field and the sidelines.....or even in the coaches booth like today.

Over and over.

Mental errors, physical errors and execution problems in clutch situations, communication issues.........

Part of the reason players love Rex is because he doesn't MAKE them work hard on the mundane aspects of preparation("treats us like men").

That costs his teams on gameday.

Contrast that to the Patriots......who manage to avoid these issues with the same amount of practice time etc..

Which is why ownership needs to dictate a focus on attention to detail to him.

If he wants to be the understanding father figure drawing scrutiny away from his players.......that's fine.......he can still be that.......but someone has to be in charge of making sure that this team is always getting better.

If I am Terry Pugula I am not putting up with this nonsense anymore. I would suspend Rex for 1 week he would have to stay home away from the stadium. Roman would run the team. This is a Billion dollar franchise. If there is not a HD TV in the Bills both with the CBS feed then this is a problem. I don't care if you got to send a equipment manager down to the local Walmart in Kanas City and buy a TV for use in the booth. Don't depend on or count on the local team to put replays up. This is not that hard and it's should be a priority. These games are too important to be working in the blind. If there was someone in the booth and they did have the CBS feed and did not tell Rex then this guy should be fired. There needs to be someone in the booth or someone, some where with direct communication to Rex to let him know what is going on and when to challenge. If I can sit at home and see this and know what the right thing to do is. Then it is really inexcusable that the Bills can't do this. The person who is watching the local CBS feed like we are at home will have a important job and this should be his only job. Do you think the patriots leave it to chance that the local team will give them the replays. So if I'm Terry Pugula I want a investigation on what really happened.

We are losing games because of game mismanagement that can easily be corrected.

Rex should be suspended to make him learn a lesson on his total cluster he is running. Maybe a suspension will make him realize that he needs to do a better job. Other things that bother me concerning game preparation are not practicing in practice each week how to hurry to the line of scrimmage to get a play off that was close and it might get a red flag by the other coach. This is about attention to detail also Why Tyrod has to get plays from the sidelines and wait for them while there in a 2 minute drill. Again WTF are we doing all week during practice. Is Tyrod incapable

of calling his own plays and running the offense with out getting plays from the side lines. Again this is called game preparation. I see so much that is wrong and it all starts with Rex. Maybe a 1 game suspension with pay and Rex takes a step back from it all will make him realize he can do a better job. These things I just mentioned need to be brought up and discussed with Rex and to make him realize he can do a better job. Some times being called out and suspended can have a positive effect. I like Rex the man, but what I don't like is what he is allowing to happen. If I'm Terry Pugula that's what I would be doing on this Monday morning.

If I am Terry Pugula I am not putting up with this nonsense anymore. I would suspend Rex for 1 week he would have to stay home away from the stadium. Roman would run the team. This is a Billion dollar franchise. If there is not a HD TV in the Bills both with the CBS feed then this is a problem. I don't care if you got to send a equipment manager down to the local Walmart in Kanas City and buy a TV for use in the booth. Don't depend on or count on the local team to put replays up. This is not that hard and it's should be a priority. These games are too important to be working in the blind. If there was someone in the booth and they did have the CBS feed and did not tell Rex then this guy should be fired. There needs to be someone in the booth or someone, some where with direct communication to Rex to let him know what is going on and when to challenge. If I can sit at home and see this and know what the right thing to do is. Then it is really inexcusable that the Bills can't do this. The person who is watching the local CBS feed like we are at home will have a important job and this should be his only job. Do you think the patriots leave it to chance that the local team will give them the replays. So if I'm Terry Pugula I want a investigation on what really happened.

Rex should be suspended to make him learn a lesson on his total cluster he is running. Maybe a suspension will make him realize that he needs to do a better job. Other things that bother me concerning game preparation are not practicing in practice each week how to hurry to the line of scrimmage to get a play off that was close and it might get a red flag by the other coach. This is about attention to detail also Why Tyrod has to get plays from the sidelines and wait for them while there in a 2 minute drill. Again WTF are we doing all week during practice. Is Tyrod incapable

of calling his own plays and running the offense with out getting plays from the side lines. Again this is called game preparation. I see so much that is wrong and it all starts with Rex. Maybe a 1 game suspension with pay and Rex takes a step back from it all will make him realize he can do a better job. These things I just mentioned need to be brought up and discussed with Rex and to make him realize he can do a better job. Some times being called out and suspended can have a positive effect. I like Rex the man, but what I don't like is what he is allowing to happen. If I'm Terry Pugula that's what I would be doing on this Monday morning.

Why don't you post this in a few more threads? I haven't read it in many places.....

YES, YES and YES.

Stop it! No NFL owner is going to suspend a coach for what you're proposing and keep any semblance of credibility.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Rex strikes me as a player's coach, and the downside of that is the players lacking discipline. Bellichick is not known as a player's coach, but his players are rarely out of position or miss their assignments. Paycheck guys do not stay on the Patriots roster for a reason; he is not an easy going coach. Although I am not there to see the practices, it seems likely that Ryan is much more laid back and less intensive with his practices. So what you have is Rex Ryan, a good defensive mind, stringing along undisciplined players that do not pay attention to the fine details of a game.

Please stop doing this. We all know what you would do if you were Terry Pegula.....

If he wants to be the understanding father figure drawing scrutiny away from his players.......that's fine.......he can still be that.......but someone has to be in charge of making sure that this team is always getting better.

We're definitely seeing the bad side of Rex in his first season here. They've lost a bunch of winnable games through sloppy execution.

I don't think you can have two people doing these things. Either Rex changes and becomes that guy, or you find a new guy that can do it.

Rex has shown very clearly who he is. He had the chance to come to the Bills and fix what didn't go right with the Jets, but he is the same exact coach. He had the opportunity over the bye week and the long week after TNF/before MNF to make changes to his defensive game plan that would take advantage of his personnel strengths, and he basically came out with the same exact strategy (with a few more blitzes thrown in to pacify the crowd). He seems like a great guy, but I don't believe he will change his ways or allow someone else to come in to override his decisions.

I'm basically never on board with firing a head coach after one year. Unfortunately in this case I think it just means more of the same until it's decided that Rex is Rex.

Might I add not properly charging the radio headsets in the linebacker & quarterback helmets during the Jacksonville game. The NFL even said it was an issue with us not charging the devices. Don't we have our own analytics guy? You would think he could show Rex a chart on the importance of radio communications. I mean damn....

Edited by Dr.Sack

Might I add not properly charging the radio headsets in the linebacker & quarterback helmets during the Jacksonville game. The NFL even said it was an issue with us not charging the devices. Don't we have our own analytics guy? You would think he could Rex a chart on the imoortance of radio communications. I mean damn....

"Robust analytics department" -Russ Brandon

This should have come as no surprise about Rex and it was the biggest point of trepidation I had in the immediate wake of the hire.

He's the Babe Ruth of coaches: all or none. Big home runs, lots of strikeouts.

Sadly, he's been low on dingers this year.

I think there will be defensive personnel changes this offseason that make Bills Nation squirm. It may even get worse before it gets better.

But if you went into this season for a second thinking that Rex Ryan would have his team playing balanced, focussed, intelligent football, consistently, you were a fool.

As is often the case with "player's coaches" Rex Ryan teams have long struggled with attention to detail.

It shows up on the field and the sidelines.....or even in the coaches booth like today.

Over and over.

Mental errors, physical errors and execution problems in clutch situations, communication issues.........

Part of the reason players love Rex is because he doesn't MAKE them work hard on the mundane aspects of preparation("treats us like men").

That costs his teams on gameday.

Contrast that to the Patriots......who manage to avoid these issues with the same amount of practice time etc..

Which is why ownership needs to dictate a focus on attention to detail to him.

Well Said...

I think there will be defensive personnel changes this offseason that make Bills Nation squirm. It may even get worse before it gets better.

This is what worries me. I said above that I'm basically never on board with firing a head coach after one season, and while it's hard to overcome that feeling, this situation at least gives me pause. This defense has so much talent, but Rex is going to want to start tearing it down to rebuild in his own way. Of course that's what most coaches do and what any GM should do for his head coach, but taking into account Rex's overall upside, I just think we're going to be losing a good thing only to get personnel to fit Rex's scheme just in time for another HC to get hired. :(

This should have come as no surprise about Rex and it was the biggest point of trepidation I had in the immediate wake of the hire.

But if you went into this season for a second thinking that Rex Ryan would have his team playing balanced, focussed, intelligent football, consistently, you were a fool.

Big home runs??

Big home runs??

Evidently you stopped reading there.

This is what worries me. I said above that I'm basically never on board with firing a head coach after one season, and while it's hard to overcome that feeling, this situation at least gives me pause. This defense has so much talent, but Rex is going to want to start tearing it down to rebuild in his own way. Of course that's what most coaches do and what any GM should do for his head coach, but taking into account Rex's overall upside, I just think we're going to be losing a good thing only to get personnel to fit Rex's scheme just in time for another HC to get hired. :(

But think of it this way: schemes have much wide windows than players. Talent is fleeting. Rex has had success when players run his scheme and run it right. That success dates back to when most of our players were in high school.

OK, I'm a fool

So why constantly shuffle your deck to account for the talent in the moment?

Did you really think Rex was going to come in here and run Schwartz's scheme?

I don't think most people expected that. I do think that most people would expect that he would build upon it and play to our players strengths...that is not unreasonable

I don't think most people expected that. I do think that most people would expect that he would build upon it and play to our players strengths...that is not unreasonable

If Rex is to believed, he tried that and it failed miserably.

Like it or not, Rex wasn't brought here to mold his system to fit the players. Quite the opposite.