Throwing to Sammy=good things. Do it more Roman!

TheFunPolice

I have come to agree with Sammy's initial frustrations 100%.

The offense seems to forget about him for long stretches of games. Then when his number is called all he does is make huge catches play after play.

Take Monday's game in NE*. They ignore Sammy pretty much all night, then on the final drives Tyrod just starts playing catch with Sammy and (what do you know!) he starts making huge catches. One handed grab. Drawing a PI. Huge catch while diving out of bounds on 4th down. Making a huge catch and getting out of bounds (which should have stopped the clock).

When I see that I wonder why the heck they aren't giving this guy chances to make plays BEFORE it is desperation time. Why not try this in the 2nd quarter when you can keep an actual drive alive with some of these plays?

It's completely insane and illogical that we can get Hogan involved but not Sammy. Look I love Hogan too but Sammy is an elite talent at WR like McCoy is at RB. When McCoy touches the ball good things happen. Ditto with Sammy. SO GET THE MAN THE DAMN BALL!

If I am trying to beat you I want my best players trying to make plays. If they come up short then so be it. But I want my best guys determining my fate and too often Sammy is not being given a chance until it's desperation time and it would take a miracle to come back. Let's try to get him involved while the game is still realistically there to be won, like all the good teams do with their top players.

No excuses. Use some imagination on offense and call more than run right, run left, run middle, deep bomb. There are other plays Roman!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Roman isn't designing the game plan around his elite offensive talent then that is just dumb.

If Sammy drops the ball or fumbles or can't make plays then fine... We got beat with our best guy.

But watching this offense completely ignore an elite talent that they HAD to have blows my mind. It's been 15 years guys, maybe when you actually have an elite talent you should find ways to give him opportunities to help you win games.

We're the Buffalo Bills, and nobody 18 years old or younger has any recollection of EVER seeing us even appear in a playoff game!

But we are going to beat you with one hand tied behind our backs, New England*!

A Lot of people crucified Sammy for saying "Throw me the damn ball" (not exact quote) and when they did the Bills crushed Miami.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000587812/article/rex-bills-could-force-the-issue-to-target-watkins

"However, I think Sammy is such a talent that you can probably force the issue a little bit there. And obviously if there's one-on-ones across the board, then let's take our best shot. We'll throw up our best against your best and see what happens. Because I truly believe Sammy is that good."

- Rex Ryan

There is a fine line for defensive HC's like Rex who want to not micromanage their OC's or tell them what to do. But sometimes they must step in because they are the HC and they are responsible ultimately for the wins and losses. Rex has said in the press before, several times, and I'm positive he has said it to Roman as well as to TT that we need to get the ball to Sammy more. Now he needs to demand it and put his foot down.

Agreed.

I want our best players and biggest offensive weapons getting the ball. Find a way to get it done Roman!

It drives me insane seeing Sammy making plays at the end of the game, in desperation time, when they suddenly remember he is on the team.

Overall, it could go back to this offense's biggest problem: urgency. WAKE UP OFFENSE! It's like everyone mills around like there is a 100 second play clock no matter the situation.

ATTACK! They are far too passive and it is hurting them. The defense cannot win every game for you in today's NFL.

Getting beat sucks but I can live with it if our guys just fail to make plays. McCoy dropping the TD is a good example. Sucks that he dropped it but he was given a chance at least. In sports sometimes you just get beat.

But when Watkins isn't even in your gameplan to the point where it is a major topic of conversation there is a problem. That's not "we just got beat" that's "we didn't even try" and that SUCKS.

Running the ball is great when its working - but we are far too passive in even our passing game sometimes. When we lined up in creative passing formations - mccoy as a receiver, 5 wide - there was space to make things happen and we got some first downs. It also makes the defense adjust to different formations.

When were this bunched together shotgun with 2 wide, we almost always check down since the receivers are like always in fly routes. That or we check into a run on 3rd and 3 or 4. Or call that stupid roll left disaster play.

Romans third down calls are just awful lately, no hitches, no outs, no slants. Everything gets all weird and fancy instead of just - beat your man. I'd like to see a quick easy passing call that allows us to get to the line quicker too.

And the lack of screen calls is pretty bizarre. I know contain rushes can play into the lack of screen calls since people are tending to stay home more... but they blitzed a decent amount in that game and we like never call screens to beat that aggressiveness. Better put that in against KC or we're gonna get beat up.

I don't think it's Roman. I think it's one-look Tryhard Taylor.

Good luck getting that name to stick.

I think it's a combination of Tyrod generally not looking past 1-2 progressions each play and also Sammy not being the primary, but instead as a decoy, in a lot of these things.

Wasn't his whole thing at Clemson racking up big YAC with screens and slants and so on? It's a mystery why our "creative genius" OC hasn't shown us anything like that to this point.

I was a bit hard on Sammy at the time but I've come to see that he was 100% right.

The man is an elite talent and they are not using him. It's completely stupid.

But, but he is so valuable as a decoy so that prolific receiver Chris Hogan can get the most targets. :wacko:

It is completely stupid to ignore the most explosive receiving play maker on both teams for three quarters of the game. If Brady had Watkins he would be seeing 15 targets a game, and probably putting up Julio Jones type numbers every game.

Wasn't his whole thing at Clemson racking up big YAC with screens and slants and so on? It's a mystery why our "creative genius" OC hasn't shown us anything like that to this point.

Not really. He hated it. But he went along with it because the team was winning and teams couldn't stop him. When he was a freshman he ran all the routes and was more of a complete WR. Teams didn't know him so they didn't know how to cover him. By the time he was a junior all of the teams in the conference were terrified of him, so they played 7-10 yards off the ball. His coaches said, well, if you are going to just give us 7-10 yards we are going to take it until you stop it, and they just ran it over and over. That's why he had all those screens. He really didn't like it all that much.

In defense of TT there were a couple of balls that were short and Sammy did not adjust to the ball well. Maybe that is his ankle and not being able to stop/slow down while sprinting down the sideline. If he slows/stops and comes back for the ball it is a PI for sure and maybe even a great catch.

Also the ball to Shady was perfect and was bobbled before a good defensive play.

But TT has to just throw it to Sammy. He is open before he is open. His catch radius is great.

Need to be wary of trying to force the slant this week. KC can rush the passer and if TT tries to get rid of the ball too soon he could miss a zone - blitz lineman dropping back in coverage.

In defense of TT there were a couple of balls that were short and Sammy did not adjust to the ball well. Maybe that is his ankle and not being able to stop/slow down while sprinting down the sideline. If he slows/stops and comes back for the ball it is a PI for sure and maybe even a great catch.

Also the ball to Shady was perfect and was bobbled before a good defensive play.

But TT has to just throw it to Sammy. He is open before he is open. His catch radius is great.

Need to be wary of trying to force the slant this week. KC can rush the passer and if TT tries to get rid of the ball too soon he could miss a zone - blitz lineman dropping back in coverage.

Sammy gets open when he is the obvious target in crucial situations. The winning TD vs. Minny last year, the big conversions against NYJ and NE the past two weeks, etc. We need to have more game plans like the recent Miami game.

There is a fine line for defensive HC's like Rex who want to not micromanage their OC's or tell them what to do. But sometimes they must step in because they are the HC and they are responsible ultimately for the wins and losses. Rex has said in the press before, several times, and I'm positive he has said it to Roman as well as to TT that we need to get the ball to Sammy more. Now he needs to demand it and put his foot down.

you dont think they review the game plan together?

TT makes the final decision after the snap.

this is not parking lot ball. you know that.

But something that has driven me nuts. Watkins and Clay and Harvin and McCoy are great for making yards after the catch. Where are those short yardage completions behind some linemen. The screens and such Sammy made his money on in college.

There is always more than meets the eye. Maybe the TEs are not so good at blocking? and such,

I would be quite surprised that Rex would ever let Roman keep the ball away from Watkins. thats just silly

you dont think they review the game plan together?

TT makes the final decision after the snap.

this is not parking lot ball. you know that.

But something that has driven me nuts. Watkins and Clay and Harvin and McCoy are great for making yards after the catch. Where are those short yardage completions behind some linemen. The screens and such Sammy made his money on in college.

There is always more than meets the eye. Maybe the TEs are not so good at blocking? and such,

I would be quite surprised that Rex would ever let Roman keep the ball away from Watkins. thats just silly

You misunderstood me. He's not letting Roman keep the ball from Sammy, he's letting Roman run the offense he wants to run which is based on going to a variety of skill players depending on the match ups and defensive call. I'm sure he's said lets get the ball to Sammy more. What Rex needs to do is not let Roman do what he is doing but force Sammy on him.

You misunderstood me. He's not letting Roman keep the ball from Sammy, he's letting Roman run the offense he wants to run which is based on going to a variety of skill players depending on the match ups and defensive call. I'm sure he's said lets get the ball to Sammy more. What Rex needs to do is not let Roman do what he is doing but force Sammy on him.

Maybe i do understand you.

Do you thinks that would be a healthy relationship ?

Roman showcased Sammy recently. Everyone knows his threat now.

I am sure teams focus upon him.

He was not very open against the Pats. Thats why the other players need to make the plays. Roman did what he was supposed to do.

Now the other players need to take advantage to pull Defenses back off Sammy , then the play calling can roll back to Watkins again.

If Clay were doing better i think Sammy would get some room.

But Bills want to run first anyways. and draw em down into the box. and thats another story. a work in progress.

More Karlos!!