NFL.com: Why can't Sammy Watkins be Bills' Deandre Hopkins?

YoloinOhio

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000587075/article/why-cant-sammy-watkins-be-bills-deandre-Hopkins

There is a chance he was the best athlete on the field again Monday in a 20-13 loss to the Patriots, but outside of a breathtaking one-handed catch with less than seven minutes to go, we saw and heard little from the player that was ranked ahead of Odell Beckham, Mike Evans and Kelvin Benjamin on most team's big boards heading into the 2014 NFL Draft.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This team consistently spends valuable assets on skill position players and then squanders their talents. If it continues, the man in charge should be dismissed.

to be fair he was drafted when the coaching staff had a different offensive system in place ... And that coaching staff left on their own. If Roman had been in place during the 2014 draft it's possible Whaley and staff don't see a #1 WR as that integral of a need to spend those picks on, but when systems don't stay consistent, the personnel and drafts that took place prior can look like they don't align. That is why stability in coaching staffs and GM are so important.

I'm not sure who else you are referring to when you say they "consistently" squander the talents of their skill position players but I would guess it is the same reason. Constantly changing systems on both sides of the ball.

Edited by YoloinOhio

to be fair he was drafted when the coaching staff had a different offensive system in place ... And that coaching staff left on their own. If Roman had been in place during the 2014 draft it's possible Whaley and staff don't see a #1 WR as that integral of a need to spend those picks on, but when systems don't stay consistent, the personnel and drafts that took place prior can look like they don't align. That is why stability in coaching staffs and GM are so important.

I'm not sure how fair that is, actually. Marrone ran a run-first offense. Roman got Boldin 10 targets per game.

Watkins gets like 4 targets a game. It doesn't make sense.

No slants, no screens, no-end arounds for Sammy. Not one. How do you not design plays to get the ball to Sammy? Also, where was Clay. Not one seam pass down the middle last night. Not one. Terrible game plan by Roman. The All-22 will once again show that Sammy was open lots. Also, thank you for not taking this on to the 900-page Sammy thread.

Edited by Freddie's Dead

No slants, no screens, no-end arounds for Sammy. Not one. How do you not design plays to get the ball to Sammy? Also, where was Clay. Not one seam pass down the middle last night. Not one. Terrible game plan by Roman. The All-22 will once again show that Sammy was open lots. Also, thank you for not taking this on to the 900-page Sammy thread.

I loved how gruden kept calling clay our no.1 passing option... wut?

I'm not sure how fair that is, actually. Marrone ran a run-first offense. Roman got Boldin 10 targets per game.

Watkins gets like 4 targets a game. It doesn't make sense.

changing systems is a lot more complicated than that - "run first" isn't an offensive system. You can blame Whaley for Sammy's lack of targets this year if you want and say that he should have known he wouldn't get enough so why spend 2 1sts on him ... but in general when you see players you think are being "misused" it is usually because they were drafted under one staff and are now under a different staff. It happens all the time with teams that constantly change their systems. Edited by YoloinOhio

I'm not sure who else you are referring to when you say they "consistently" squander the talents of their skill position players but I would guess it is the same reason. Constantly changing systems on both sides of the ball.

Except the coaching staff at the time was livid about the trade/draft pick.

Except the coaching staff at the time was livid about the trade/draft pick.

he was mad they traded up and spent the extra 1st for a WR, not that they drafted the player. Marrone said you only trade a future first for a QB. He never said he didn't want Sammy on his offense. Edited by YoloinOhio

Is it a matter of getting him the ball or that he's over-hyped? First Revis island, now Butler island. The guy has been invisible nearly all season.

The Bills DRASTICALLY over payed for his services in the draft which makes him over-hyped. People just have to come to realization that he is not an elite receiver (just yet?) nor the best WR to come out of that draft class.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

When Watkins made that ridiculous catch, the light bulb should go on in Roman's/Tyrod's head. "This kid is the hot hand right now."

Design the passing game around him. Get him open.

Or throw it to him when he's not necessarily wide open. In fairness they tried that on deep balls twice last night. But either way he needs ten targets every game.

The Bills drastically over payed for his services in the draft which makes him overhyped. People just have to come to realization that he is not an elite receiver yet nor the best WR to come out of that draft class.

I wonder what your/the perception of Watkins would be if he was on the Saints or something. I would say that catch he made last night was pretty elite.

Is it a matter of getting him the ball or that he's over-hyped? First Revis island, now Butler island. The guy has been invisible nearly all season.

It's a matter of getting him the ball. Design, and the QBs willingness to throw at a WR when he isn't totally wide open a la college. Watkins only needs a half step. Put the ball in front of him where he can go get it. TT is usually late, and ball is then under thrown. The guy just takes zero risks. That's not today's NFL passing game. All the rules favor your guy. Throw it there, and you'll either get a completion or poss a defensive PI / IC. He's only invisible from our ( continued) lack of a real QB.

Mccoy, Watkins and Clay are the best weapons an offense can ask for, the 3 of them should combine for 90% of the offense's touches. Plain and simple, anything less is crap play calling and high school play design. McCoy should be getting 25-30 touches a game, Watkins should be getting 15 targets a game and Clay should be getting 10 targets a game. Or more!

I think that is on Taylor more than anyone. On replays of two different plays, Tyrod had Clay open down the seam and then Hogan open running a go from the slot and he missed both.

If I'm a DC, I would barely cover the deep middle of the field. Tyrod can't or won't throw there.

fully agree, we dont use the middle of the field at all. However itd be nice if sammy could ever stop and go up for a ball. He just keeps running and sticks an arm out...thats it.

The Bills DRASTICALLY over payed for his services in the draft which makes him over-hyped. People just have to come to realization that he is not an elite receiver (just yet?) nor the best WR to come out of that draft class.

Over hyped has zero to do with his talent. The price paid is out of his hands. We've seen what the guy can do when he is made a focal point, but it's only scratched the surface. Right now he's the high priced gym equipment that sits in a corner a month after it was purchased. That's not on him. Is it foolish for the Bills to spend that for a guy they won't use? Yes. That's a different argument from how good the player is / how productive he can be.

I think that is on Taylor more than anyone. On replays of two different plays, Tyrod had Clay open down the seam and then Hogan open running a go from the slot and he missed both.

If I'm a DC, I would barely cover the deep middle of the field. Tyrod can't or won't throw there.

Yep, the one to Clay was particularly bad. It was also a perfect example of what Gilbride talked about in his interview. TT waits , and waits some more. That ball should have been in front of Clay and he gets it on the run, tearing through the secondary. Instead, he comes in the clear, and by the time the ball is delivered its 2 yards behind him. TT has to trust what he's seeing out there and lead guys. They can't make a play if the ball is behind them or under thrown . Some knocked Gilbrides assessment , but I still think he was spot on. TTs completion percentage is high because he's throwing to guys that come wide open after he buys time. There is no rhythm to the Bills passing game. If you are always throwing to guys that are stopped, the offense is not what it could be.