NFL.com: Why can't Sammy Watkins be Bills' Deandre Hopkins?

YoloinOhio

Looked through just some basic numbers.

Houston has attempted the most passes in the league - buffalo has attempted like the 3rd or 4th fewest. We also average about 50 yards more rushing per game. Hopkins gets targets because he has to - they cant run so they pass much more frequently. We've also had some big leads to protect several times this year, and running the ball well was much more of a priority.

We both have turned the ball over about the same amount - but EJ was involved in several of those (and could be involved in more if Tyrod can't go... Oy vay). I still feel like we take care of the ball better in general than houston though.

For our team - this is good, we don't have a star QB. We also have a top 5-10 RB in the league. Passing that often with Hoyer/whoever at the helm is also why i don't see Houston as a playoff team unless they win that cruddy division somehow.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fully agree, we dont use the middle of the field at all. However itd be nice if sammy could ever stop and go up for a ball. He just keeps running and sticks an arm out...thats it.

He threw three 10 yard passes to Woods directly over the middle. Two first downs and one dropped first down. The passes down the sidelines were open all night. He just missed a few of them, we got one PI, we should have had first and goal on a missed PI, we had a dropped TD and we completed a few. The placement of the passes was not an issue. They covered the middle of the field. They didn't cover the sidelines.

changing systems is a lot more complicated than that - "run first" isn't an offensive system. You can blame Whaley for Sammy's lack of targets this year if you want and say that he should have known he wouldn't get enough so why spend 2 1sts on him ... but in general when you see players you think are being "misused" it is usually because they were drafted under one staff and are now under a different staff. It happens all the time with teams that constantly change their systems.

I don't blame Whaley. I'm just disagreeing with the "offensive system" rationale. Whaley traded up for Watkins because he knew he could be great in ANY offensive system. Doesn't matter if they're a run-first team.

But both coaching staffs have under-utilized him for some reason.

I don't blame Whaley. I'm just disagreeing with the "offensive system" rationale. Whaley traded up for Watkins because he knew he could be great in ANY offensive system. Doesn't matter if they're a run-first team.

But both coaching staffs have under-utilized him for some reason.

Totally agree. They didn't take Watkins for EJ no matter what they said. They had no idea if EJ would be good or not. They took him to have a star WR for 6-10 years. And then they immediately and continually misuse him, although partly due to his own injuries.

Sammy needs the ball a lot more. He's an elite athlete and has, despite his public asking for more touches (one could argue that this is a good thing), been a model teammate and pro. Quit worrying about how much was given up etc. That's history now. Just throw him the damn ball. I think, if nothing else, that Sammy has established he is capable of catching the ball in traffic and that he need not be 'college open.'

Maybe they were showing a play where we forced it to sammy despite other options?

Why would you call that play a force? He was in single coverage running down the sideline, which is precisely when he should be targeted.

‏@AdamBenigni

#Bills Rex Ryan on Sammy Watkins: "We gotta find ways to get him the football... that's a challenge to our staff and quarterback." @wgrz

If I can do it in Madden, Roman can do it in real life. I have faith.

Why would you call that play a force? He was in single coverage running down the sideline, which is precisely when he should be targeted.

Yeah. It wasn't a force. They couldn't connect on those plays because of a combination of indecision and environmental factors, I think.

That would have had to be a perfect pass, in stride, right down the sideline on a bullet. Not saying it wouldn't or couldn't have been a completion. But the safety was closing fast. He was open. But tight window. TT didn't want to throw it more than a yard in bounds I imagine, and just missed the throw.

That would have had to be a perfect pass, in stride, right down the sideline on a bullet. Not saying it wouldn't or couldn't have been a completion. But the safety was closing fast. He was open. But tight window. TT didn't want to throw it more than a yard in bounds I imagine, and just missed the throw.

I don't know how you can say that. If the pass is thrown in bounds to the 15 yd line, it's an easy catch and the safety is still a few yards away.

I showed it because it's one of the reasons why Sammy's stats don't look like those of Hopkins. It has nothing to do with bashing either player.

But the evidence you present was a badly thrown ball to an open WR.

I don't know how you can say that. If the pass is thrown in bounds to the 15 yd line, it's an easy catch and the safety is still a few yards away.

But the evidence you present was a badly thrown ball to an open WR.

Eureka! Missed opportunities along with less targets is one reason Sammy isn't shining like Hopkins and other WRs.