Fantastic interview with Gilbride

dave mcbride

For what it's worth, KG has nothing but great things to say about the city of Buffalo and it's fans. He loved his time there.

His criticism of Taylor is that he's a little late with his throws because he's still learning how to read defenses and not going through his progressions rapidly. Nothing earth shattering there, and we see instances where TT throws before the receiver is open like in that GIF. It's just a matter of with time and experience will TT get better in this aspect, and I think he will but that's why we play the games.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you should find a thread for that.

I believe this to be an adequate thread to do so. Interview with Gilbride who critiqued Tyrod

I get it Beerball, message received. I have been making every attempt to have rational discussions. I am ignoring the people that should to achieve that.

I will have to think of a less offending reference to use for the people who are overly high on Tyrod.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Excellent article.

A lot of thinking and adjusting going on. Gilbride is excellent at coming up with a countering strategy to a defense but nothing materializes unless the plays are executed. When Gilbride was our OC he received a lot of criticism for over thinking and making things too complicated. The reality was that the talent didn't match the strategy.

I thought Gilbride's observations on Taylor were very interesting. He seemed to be saying that TT is still at the rudimentary stage. He also seemed to be saying that Taylor's passing stats are inflated because they are not due to a qb going through his progressions so much as they are inflated because the qb is extending a play. So what is the difference? A completion is a completion. Isn't what you accomplish more important than how you accomplish it?

Again, thanks for the article. It had a lot of interesting thoughts by Gilbride to consider.

I think the difference is that it is more repeatable and sustainable if you are having success because you are doing things correctly. If you have success unconventionally, it often isn't sustainable long term (see Kaepernick).

Great idea by Tyler Dunne... reach out and get great insight from an experienced guy who's actually been in the trenches and has been successful against the Patriots.

Only think I think he's wrong about is TT's deep balls. From what I've seen the timing and accuracy has been great on almost every deep ball he's thrown.. I don't think he's waiting for guys to get open on the deep balls.

No offense, but I think Gilbride's analysis holds more weight than yours.

I've re-watched that play multiple times and would respectfully disagree with your analysis. TT put the ball where it needed to be.. Sammy mistimed his jump.

Absurd. Thrown in the right place (or just the right side at least ) and theres no reason to jump Edited by JTSP

Absurd. Thrown in the right place (or just the right side at least ) and theres no reason to jump

Ok.. let's agree to disagree on this particular play.

So if I understand you correctly you are using that one example to illustrate that TT's long ball accuracy is poor?

Soooo... Did the Bills hire him as a consultant?

Yes.

Rex had his dad serve as an intermediary and talk Gilbride into it.

Buddy and Kevin have been sharing a luxury box on gamedays all season long.....

Ok.. let's agree to disagree on this particular play.

So if I understand you correctly you are using that one example to illustrate that TT's long ball accuracy is poor?

Funny since you accept a few examples of 20 yard corner routes as somehow being representative deep balls over the middle of the field accuracy. Edited by JTSP

Interesting comments from Gilbride and I've thought the same thing about Tyrod at times. He wasn't very good throwing against the Jets/Titans either.

At this point he is a one read and then improvise QB.... Which he is very good at, but at what point will teams catch up to this? And when do we see improvement?

I like Taylor, but as of right now I'd still draft a QB with a solid skill set if there with our first round pick.

I am happy with Taylor and the winning record. Call it being gun shy, but I need to see more as well to say he is a Franchise QB.

RE Gilbride - Against Miami, I thought he looked pretty good. Taylor was 11 of 12 for 181 yards & 1 TD. You can't argue against that.

Rushing was the mode of the day going 36 for 266 yards and 3 TD's.

Yes.

Rex had his dad serve as an intermediary and talk Gilbride into it.

Buddy and Kevin have been sharing a luxury box on gamedays all season long.....

Cool. Thanks

Who cares if he is completing passes without going through all of his progressions or if they are happening because he extended the play as long as he is completing them

An argument to that could be that by not doing so he may miss an open receiver for a bigger gain and possibly a scoring opportunity.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Since when did Gilbride get elevated to genius status? The article was OK but I couldn't get past who was making the evaluation.

Since being the OC who helped lead the Pats' opponent to victory in 2 super bowls. That certainly qualifies him more than most. He had a good career, all in all.

The most interesting nugget in the piece for me was the bit about him still being pissed about Donohoe letting Centers, Riemersma, and Price go after the 2001 season. He's right about that, in retrospect. The trio had 169 receptions in 2002, and after they left the offense dropped from 11th in 2001 to 30th the next year.

Edited by dave mcbride

Who cares if he is completing passes without going through all of his progressions or if they are happening because he extended the play as long as he is completing them

I think Gilbride's response would be that sooner or later that approach catches up with you. He can't rely on athleticism all of the time. Indeed, he looked hobbled and noticeably slower against the Jets.

Absurd. Thrown in the right place (or just the right side at least ) and theres no reason to jump

lets be real here...sammy cant catch a 50/50 ball...ive said this for 2 seasons now. He hasnt made one here yet. Hes got great hands, great skills, but goes up soft when someones near him. He probably jumped too early because hes not used to even going up for balls in traffic and was nervous because the game just started. He also drops down immediately after the catch if anyone is near. His long gains are all ones where he dipped completely under a tackle or was completely open. He is the opposite of beast mode in that way.

TT does wait too long to throw deep, but has the strength to still put it in stride even still nearly overthrowing guys. Me likes.

Oh and Gilbride must have been drunk the whole time here in Blo, he refused to run on any third and 1 for 2 years. When a defense expects pass everytime, they play pass. We lost alot of games for this reason alone and its why he got the nickname KEVIN KILLDRIVE. Exactly 1 time he ran on a third down, really just to play it safe, the result? a 60 yard TD by Henry straight up the gut. I hate and will always hate Killdrive. Hes an extremely smart idiot. Thats why buddy ryan punched him in the face.

Edited by enlightener

lets be real here...sammy cant catch a 50/50 ball...ive said this for 2 seasons now. He hasnt made one here yet. Hes got great hands, great skills, but goes up soft when someones near him. He probably jumped too early because hes not used to even going up for balls in traffic and was nervous because the game just started. He also drops down immediately after the catch if anyone is near. His long gains are all ones where he dipped completely under a tackle or was completely open. He is the opposite of beast mode in that way.

TT does wait too long to throw deep, but has the strength to still put it in stride even still nearly overthrowing guys. Me likes.

It was a double move route to move revis to the outside, and break back inside. Watkins did it beautifully. No need for jump if ball thrown where it should have been. The guy doesn't throw a good deep ball, especially over the middle. I agree with gilbride. Really I was slightly encouraged when he hit karlos over the middle against jets...not a deep strike (more YAC), but at least he went thru his progressions and read the middle of the field correctly. Edited by JTSP

Have to give him credit for the two SB wins over Belicheck, but I may never get over the Bledsoe "naked bootleg" call that basically lost the game against the Pats***. Quite possibly the worst play call I have ever seen in my life.

Cool. Thanks

Before that goes any further, I'm going to assume you're young and that you should take a moment to look up any historical interactions between Kevin Gilbride and Rex's dad (Buddy).

Here is a lovely photo of Rex's pops and Gilbride discussing game strategy on the Houston sideline

I've re-watched that play multiple times and would respectfully disagree with your analysis. TT put the ball where it needed to be.. Sammy mistimed his jump.

and I'VE re-watched that play mutiple times and would respectfully disagree with Your analysis. Sammy and Revis were the only players that deep with Sammy gaining seperation moving left to right. The correct pass to throw here is a floater toward the right side of the field, keeping Sammy's seperation and allowing him to run under the ball enrout to the endzone. the pass was poor in that it was a little behind him where Revis could close and made Sammy break his run to try to leap for the ball. If the pass is thrown correctly, Revis never touches Sammy and its a TD.