TD admits another error

Mickey

I can't be the only one missing the fact that the release of Bledsoe is yet another admission of error by TD. His trade for Drew was so good we had to spend a first rounder, a second and a fifth to get his replacement. That means we have spent two first round picks, a second and a fifth to try and get a QB and the result has been missing the playoffs for 3 years (under Drew) and a clueless kid starting at the most important position on the field next year. Hmmmmm......does that sound like a success? We traded up to get Denney and that worked out so well we had to take Kelsay the following year. We took Travis in the second and that worked out so well, we had to take a flyer on McGahee. Mike Williams has not played near to what was spent to get him. Reed worked out so well we had to use a first rounder to replace him.

Yeah, McGahee ended up working out but he was only necessary because TD's other pick, Travis, wasn't working out. Lee Evans was a good pick but we only needed him because Josh Reed was not a good pick. I sure hope he is right on this move.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, McGahee ended up working out but he was only necessary because TD's other pick, Travis, wasn't working out.  Lee Evans was a good pick but we only needed him because Josh Reed was not a good pick.  I sure hope he is right on this move.

241308[/snapback]

Way to play down two of the best picks in recent draft history... :D

Way to play down two of the best picks in recent draft history... :D

241310[/snapback]

I love how one season of play by WM and LE makes them the best picks in recent draft history. As was stated, maybe TD set the bar low with some poor drafts that it was easy to have better picks in recent draft history.

I love how one season of play by WM and LE makes them the best picks in recent draft history.  As was stated, maybe TD set the bar low with some poor drafts that it was easy to have better picks in recent draft history.

241318[/snapback]

Ah, Steven, you always seem to come from under your rock whenever the opportunity to criticize the current administration arises. The fact remains that TD has done a stupendous job here in Buffalo. I challenge you to find someone who has done better given the shape this team was in when Butler left.

Ah, Steven, you always seem to come from under your rock whenever the opportunity to criticize the current administration arises. The fact remains that TD has done a stupendous job here in Buffalo. I challenge you to find someone who has done better given the shape this team was in when Butler left.

241325[/snapback]

Honestly, I am more critical of people who have annoited WM and LE superstars after just one season. I think TD has done a great job getting us here, but the proof is in the pudding. The Bills have to make the playoffs this season, otherwise I believe TD should be held accountable.

Honestly, I am more critical of people who have annoited WM and LE superstars after just one season. 

Agreed. LE looked good as a rookie, and WM looked phenominal in his first year. We'll see what happens.

I think TD has done a great job getting us here, but the proof is in the pudding.  The Bills have to make the playoffs this season, otherwise I believe TD should be held accountable.

He sure should. I'm not sure I like a starter who has only thrown 5 passes in the NFL, but I expect nothing less than the playoffs. Period.

I can't be the only one missing the fact that the release of Bledsoe is yet another admission of error by TD.  His trade for Drew was so good we had to spend a first rounder, a second and a fifth to get his replacement.  That means we have spent two first round picks, a second and a fifth to try and get a QB and the result has been missing the playoffs for 3 years (under Drew) and a clueless kid starting at the most important position on the field next year.  Hmmmmm......does that sound like a success?  We traded up to get Denney and that worked out so well we had to take Kelsay the following year.  We took Travis in the second and that worked out so well, we had to take a flyer on McGahee.  Mike Williams has not played near to what was spent to get him.  Reed worked out so well we had to use a first rounder to replace him.

Yeah, McGahee ended up working out but he was only necessary because TD's other pick, Travis, wasn't working out.  Lee Evans was a good pick but we only needed him because Josh Reed was not a good pick.  I sure hope he is right on this move.

241308[/snapback]

And we led the league in takeaways, have had a top 5 defense for 4 years and have the top special teams unit in the league. Dumbest post I have read in a while.

TD has assembled a lousy team and lousy defense. Milloy, Adams, Williams, Spikes, Fletcher all suck. Moulds, McGahee, Evans are lousy as well. How come we are the only team in the NFL to have a different QB every few years. I mean the NFL is full of teams with McNabb and Brady as their starters.

Also, why would TD get Bledsoe in '02 when we could have just kept that awesome QB we had when we went 3-13. Yes our QB options were Bledsoe, RJ, a rookie (and none of them from that class have done anything), or Jeff Blake. The obvious choice was certainly not Bledsoe.

TD has assembled a lousy team and lousy defense.  Milloy, Adams, Williams, Spikes, Fletcher all suck.  Moulds, McGahee, Evans are lousy as well.  How come we are the only team in the NFL to have a different QB every few years.  I mean the NFL is full of teams with McNabb and Brady as their starters.

Also, why would TD get Bledsoe in '02 when we could have just kept that awesome QB we had when we went 3-13.  Yes our QB options were Bledsoe, RJ, a rookie (and none of them from that class have done anything), or Jeff Blake.  The obvious choice was certainly not Bledsoe.

241438[/snapback]

:D:);)

It doesn't matter what DB did or what our record was last year, because the team was at home watching the playoffs once again. The Bills spent a ton to get this raw QB out of Tulane and I don't care if he loses his limb in a car wreck, when you spend that much on a kid you are obligated to give him a shot to trip all over himself and fail miserably. Especially after the team embarrassed themselves in a game the could have put them in the playoffs. I don't know how this is going to work out, but JP needs to be given his shot now because in this Free agent era of the NFL, there is no real time to develop, and if he fails then another guy is going to have to be brought in right behind him. However, I do think that JP will be ok this year, because, as was stated earlier, this offense revolves around WM this year.

I can't be the only one missing the fact that the release of Bledsoe is yet another admission of error by TD.  His trade for Drew was so good we had to spend a first rounder, a second and a fifth to get his replacement.  That means we have spent two first round picks, a second and a fifth to try and get a QB and the result has been missing the playoffs for 3 years (under Drew) and a clueless kid starting at the most important position on the field next year.  Hmmmmm......does that sound like a success?  We traded up to get Denney and that worked out so well we had to take Kelsay the following year.  We took Travis in the second and that worked out so well, we had to take a flyer on McGahee.  Mike Williams has not played near to what was spent to get him.  Reed worked out so well we had to use a first rounder to replace him.

241308[/snapback]

hey jackass, we didnt give up a first rounder to get JP...do the math...

2 first rounders in 2004 + 0 first rounders in 2005 = 2 first round picks in 2 years, how is that any different than a normal draft...oh yah it isnt...

we gave up a 2nd and a 5th to get losman, those are picks we will never have...

Agreed. LE looked good as a rookie, and WM looked phenominal in his first year. We'll see what happens.

He sure should. I'm not sure I like a starter who has only thrown 5 passes in the NFL, but I expect nothing less than the playoffs. Period.

241342[/snapback]

Todd...today is a hugh day in TSW history...we AGREE :D

241308[/snapback]

Personally, I think a better judgement of the "wrongness" of picking up Bledsoe would be asking: were there any better options at the time? And that's beyond the obvious point that your post implies that drafting Losman was done with the specific intent of cutting Bledsoe this off-season...which is a good bit of reverse justification, that something happened ten months ago because of something else happening now that you (and I'd wager TD, considering his restructuring of Bledsoe's contract) didn't forsee ten months ago.

Bottom line: I think that was a pretty friggin' stupid post you made. :D

admitting you made a mistake is wrong and a bad thing?  yeah....that's what I try to instill in my kids...never admit you are wrong, be stubborn, pigheaded, make excuses, whatever, but never admit a mistake or try to learn and correct the mistakes you made.

241462[/snapback]

NG, your point is very well taken. I think what Mickey was doing was reacting to the part line glee on the board about TD releasing Drew.

Some posters hate Drew so much that they would probably love to throw throw their arms around TD and give him wet kisses for cutting their arch enemy.

Imo, Mickey is right. I dont think that he said TD is a bad GM. He is not and has done very well with free agency. The draft is another matter. MW will have a 9.17 million dollar cap figure next year. Sorry, that is NOT good.

hey jackass, we didnt give up a first rounder to get JP...do the math...

2 first rounders in 2004 + 0 first rounders in 2005 = 2 first round picks in 2 years, how is that any different than a normal draft...oh yah it isnt...

we gave up a 2nd and a 5th to get losman, those are picks we will never have...

241473[/snapback]

And we gave up what turned out to be a 20th pick for #27, right? That counts too.

Some teams in a draft might have to throw in a 2nd or 3rd to move 7 spots.

TB had to cough up a 2nd to the Bills to move up 7 spots.

And we gave up what turned out to be a 20th pick for #27, right? That counts too.

Some teams in a draft might have to throw in a 2nd or 3rd to move 7 spots.

TB had to cough up a 2nd to the Bills to move up 7 spots.

241488[/snapback]

#22 in 04 draft for # 20 in 05..pretty close.

Before I get started, let me reinforce that I am not a Bledsoe apologist -- nor do I subscribe to the theory that the organization is always right. With that said, I will say that I agree with this move 100%, because I think it is time to move on.

Like Bledsoe or not, if you are calling the trade that TD made to acquire him "an error", then you really don't know much about the game of football.

Even if Bledsoe admittedly didn't do everything for us that I had hoped he would, his acquisition achieved all of the following:

1. Provided instant credibility in a way that drafting a first round QB never could have. Let's not forget that we picked 4th in the 2002 draft for a reason... We were a horrible 3-13 the year before. Recall that Joey Harrington was selected one pick ahead of us that year. Now there is talk that the Lions' patience is wearing thin with him. They still do not know whether or not he is the answer, while we've decided to move on without Drew. With a veteran you're more prone to make these kinds of determinations than you are with a young player that you keep HOPING will get better. The Lions (with Harrington) nor the Texans (with Carr, who finally came on last season) invested high picks on QBs that year, and neither team has finished as high as 8-8 since. The Bills were 8-8 or better 2 out of the 3 years Bledsoe was here.

2. Through the first half of the 2002 season, Drew was arguably the MVP of the NFL. Let's not forget that he crushed many of our team's single-season passing records. Look at what happened with attendence.

3. The success of the passing game inflated the value of Peerless Price. If that doesn't happen, I can guarantee you that Peerless still leaves for the highest bidder -- and we have no leverage (or logical reason) for using the Franchise Tag to secure that 1st round pick. You could even argue that we traded our #14 pick and Peerless for Drew and the #21 pick. I think even Drew bashers would make that deal (especially back in 2002) every time.

4. The successful shift from 3-13 in 2001 to 8-8 in 2002 identified us as a team on the verge. Surely that is what attracted such important free agents as Takeo, Sam Adams, Lawyer Milloy, etc. I find it highly unlikely that all of these guys come here if Drew doesn't have that magical 2002 season.

I could go on talking about Drew also being a good guy in the community and all that, but that dilludes my point, which is that we reaped enough benefits from having Drew on the team, that it was certainly worth the (then) future middle-of-the-first-round draft pick that TD gave up for him.