Aaron Maybin Where Is He Now article

Bocephuz

All of the Bills fan angst aside, keep in mind that Maybin's story is one that is repeated hundreds of times each year. The reason that you hear about Aaron Maybin is because he is a former first round pick. All of the other guys who are barely sticking to practice squads all over the NFL will be on the street in a year or two, and you'll never hear their stories. I hope that they got a degree (or go and get one) and that they haven't sustained yet-undiagnosed head injuries that will have them working at Wal-Mart for the rest of their lives.

Forget Maybin-the-first-round-Bills-bust, and focus on the fact that here's a guy who's dreams were crushed by his own doing (either attitude or lack of talent) and he has to live with that. If he's found something that makes him feel fulfilled, more power to him.

I'm conflicted.

On one hand I give him credit for how hard he worked ( running back and forth to high school with weights in his backpack..etc..) to earn the Penn State scholarship and get drafted and to earn that big money he lives off of now.

On the other hand.. this whole "non conformist" excuse for leaving the NFL is lame. He himself admits he knew what he was signing up for.

I do have sympathy for some of the personal issues he has faced.. but some of the other issues seem to have been self inflicted.

There is a part in the story that says he is a methodical long term planner.. .so if that is true.. is it too much of a stretch to think that this take the money and run tactic was his plan all along?

All of the Bills fan angst aside, keep in mind that Maybin's story is one that is repeated hundreds of times each year. The reason that you hear about Aaron Maybin is because he is a former first round pick. All of the other guys who are barely sticking to practice squads all over the NFL will be on the street in a year or two, and you'll never hear their stories. I hope that they got a degree (or go and get one) and that they haven't sustained yet-undiagnosed head injuries that will have them working at Wal-Mart for the rest of their lives.

Forget Maybin-the-first-round-Bills-bust, and focus on the fact that here's a guy who's dreams were crushed by his own doing (either attitude or lack of talent) and he has to live with that. If he's found something that makes him feel fulfilled, more power to him.

well said

Edited by Bocephuz

waiting for the erik flowers article or perry tuttle article.

LOL

Also, must be nice being seeded with $14M for only a few years of work, more money many times over than the average American will have by the time they retire.

With that kind of seeding he ought to be able to make a whole lot more money outside of art if he's got a good business sense.

$14 million. That's criminal. I'd retire too and you would never see me again. Can't say I blame him. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often to be honest. That's why I think all contracts should be performance based. The better you play the more money you earn. If you are undersized and distracted then you won't make $14 mil that's for sure

Mark Gaughn did this story a few months ago. Maybin's "art" is his justification for smoking marijuana.

Looking at his art (and reading the older article), that seems about right. I'm no art critic, and Maybin clearly has some talent, but no more so than the standard urban muralist or children's book illustrator. I hope he's not shoveling that $14 million into producing and marketing his art because, quite frankly Maybin the Artist is roughly as successful as Maybin the Football Player: plenty good enough to make it through the amateur ranks, not nearly good enough (or inspired enough) to make it in the big leagues.

Looking at his art (and reading the older article), that seems about right. I'm no art critic, and Maybin clearly has some talent, but no more so than the standard urban muralist or children's book illustrator. I hope he's not shoveling that $14 million into producing and marketing his art because, quite frankly Maybin the Artist is roughly as successful as Maybin the Football Player: plenty good enough to make it through the amateur ranks, not nearly good enough (or inspired enough) to make it in the big leagues.

This is true.

The fact that he had two kids born by different mothers on the same day (I grant you one of them was stillborn), it shows that his off the field life was crazy.