Cam Newton tears down packers sign fan files police report

I think everyone agrees home field advantage is a real thing. An opposing teams banner in the end zone of your own stadium takes away from that advantage far more than just cheering for your team in the stadium. They shouldn't have allowed it for competitive reasons.

Did he have a approval? Sure. Should Cam have torn it down? No. We are mixing emotional and rational thought in this thread though.

But the argument that the sign did nothing, and that who cares it's just a game is asinine. They are competing for a reason.

An opposing team's banner in the end zone of your own stadium alters the home field advantage?

Christ.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was it stupid? Because a fan shouldn't show support for the away team? Sorry, but what's stupid is anyone even remotely suggesting a fan doesn't have the right to show support for his favorite team and that players are free to rip banners and signs out of the hands of any fan of the opposing team.

It's a sad commentary that anyone can find fault with a guy who just wanted to attend a game and show support for his team in a way that didn't infringe upon anybody else's enjoyment.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't have a problem with opposing fans supporting their team. I also don't care if they want to bring huge signs. I just find it odd that the home stadium would permit opponents' banners to be placed around the stadium walls near the field. That is prime real estate, and I would think that maybe the Panthers would have an interest in having a monopoly over that space, so they can market their own team.

I have never heard of or seen an opposing team's sign in a location like that.

I don't understand this. There are thousands of Buffalo explants living in Charlotte. If the Bills visited the Panthers and a fan brought a pro-Bills sign to the game, only to be ripped down by Newton, this board would be livid. Newton needs to grow up and be learn to be a good sport. There are going to be opposing fans in the stands. Effing deal with it.

I don't have a problem with opposing fans supporting their team. I also don't care if they want to bring huge signs. I just find it odd that the home stadium would permit opponents' banners to be placed around the stadium walls near the field. That is prime real estate, and I would think that maybe the Panthers would have an interest in having a monopoly over that space, so they can market their own team.

I have never heard of or seen an opposing team's sign in a location like that.

The banner wasn't affixed, it was held by the fan and his family so it wasn't "placed" anywhere. It was a hand held sign like any other that we see fans waving periodically during a game. Most stadiums don't allow any permanent fixture of signs. And I've seen loads of opposing teams' fans wave banners and signs at field level at The Ralph since it opened. It's just not a big deal and nothing for anyone to take offense at, especially players.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

Oh lord. You really think leaving the banner would sway anything at all on the field?

:huh:

A sign affects the game?

An opposing team's banner in the end zone of your own stadium alters the home field advantage?

Christ.

GO BILLS!!!

It obviously affected Cam Newton for better or for worse. So yes.

Edited by What a Tuel

The banner wasn't affixed, it was held by the fan and his family so it wasn't "placed" anywhere. It was a hand held sign like any other that we see fans waving periodically during a game. Most stadiums don't allow any permanent fixture of signs. And I've seen loads of opposing teams' fans wave banners and signs at field level at The Ralph since it opened. It's just not a big deal and nothing for anyone to take offense at, especially players.

GO BILLS!!!

GO BILLS!!!

I haven't followed all the twists to this story, but I thought it was affixed to the stadium wall. Whether it was or not makes a huge difference, IMO. A fixture is eating up marketing space; a hand held sign is just that. If Cam ripped a handheld sign out of a guy's hands, that's pretty bush league.

I haven't followed all the twists to this story, but I thought it was affixed to the stadium wall. Whether it was or not makes a huge difference, IMO. A fixture is eating up marketing space; a hand held sign is just that. If Cam ripped a handheld sign out of a guy's hands, that's pretty bush league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHVXqCmHtY

I saw the video before but somehow didn't realize it wasn't in the middle of the game.

Edited by What a Tuel

why does this bother you so much?

It doesn't bother me so much.

However, I dislike Cam Newtons leadership and persona. That does not have anything to do with this, though. Terrell Owens on the Dallas star was lame and outlandish. Suh stomping on players is grossly offensive and should be treated harshly. But, this, it is just childish and ridiculous. Going out of your way to take a sign down that is not bothering you at all?

Come on, if that's all it takes to goad Newton then I cannot imagine what it'll be like when he meets someone who is willing to play his game and push his buttons. I would, but not to sue him or take him to court or get physical. Just to bother the hell out of him because he is such a prick and his reputation in town as such is unprecedented, surpassing Steve Smiff. No lie, I have heard some ridiculous stuff this year about the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwHVXqCmHtY

I saw the video before but somehow didn't realize it wasn't in the middle of the game.

Gee, how come Cam the man didn't see fit to swipe the "Lordy, Lordy, We Miss Jordy" sign from the Packer fan standing right next to the folks he stole the sign from?

Bush league move all the way. Pre-game warmups, the guy and his family showing some love for their favorite team, and Cam ruins it by being an ass. Douchier and douchier.

GO BILLS!!!

Gee, how come Cam the man didn't see fit to swipe the "Lordy, Lordy, We Miss Jordy" sign from the Packer fan standing right next to the folks he stole the sign from?

Bush league move all the way. Pre-game warmups, the guy and his family showing some love for their favorite team, and Cam ruins it by being an ass. Douchier and douchier.

GO BILLS!!!

It was pregame?

Signs should not be allowed in stadiums period. Sat a few rows behind an idiot steelers fan at The Ralph who kept holding a sign up. Several people asked them to put it away in deference to those sitting directly behind them, yet they still held it up. Ushers told them to keep it down, yet they still held the #$*#&@ thing up. Finally, a guy sitting a few seats over ripped it out of their hands and ran out of the lower bowl to the cheering of those sitting in the vicinity of this jerk.

Bottom line, the Panthers should have enforced their own policy and when they did not, I love the fact that a player did. Good for you Cam! :beer:

Edited by Flutie Flakes

You can tell from the video.

GO BILLS!!!

I hadn't watched it. I figured he did it after a TD or something. Not that it makes it anymore "right" but I could see him thinking it would be a good celebration for the fans or something.

Pregame though. That's just a dick move.