McCoy shoulder update

YoloinOhio

Yeah, as much as people are (rightly) claiming that the play should have been blown dead they are ignoring that Suh had his hand inside the back of TT's shoulder pad, which should have been a penalty.

I didn't see the play, but I think if the QB is still in the pocket you can horse collar with no penalty. That might be a college rule, but it exists somewhere, or at least it did at one time. Correct me if i'm wrong; i'd like to know.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suh had Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor in his grasp on third-and-4 from the Miami 34 late in the third quarter. But instead of ruling Taylor down for a sack, the officials let the play continue and Taylor threw the ball away.
Suh told the official he needs to “call that dead, or I’m going to slam the [expletive] out of him next time.”
Suh took it out on McCoy instead

Suh should be suspended for his play on McCoy. He threw himself on top of him with intent to injure. The dude has a long history of this sort of BS. That said, one of our weak a** O-linemen should have been in Suh's face after that play.

Edited by RyanC883

Suh should be suspended for his play on McCoy. He threw himself on top of him with intent to injure. The dude has a long history of this sort of BS.

You have got to be kidding! It's called "tackle" football!

Maybe Suh should have broken out a pillow and gently placed Shady down while changing his diaper too.

The Bills found a couple of plays that worked against Miami's D line, and kept running them. They've got Suh, and no one else. So good for Buffalo, keep doing whatever works until the other guys stop you. But the Jets OTOH have a great D line, all across, and none of those plays will work consistently. McCoy and K-Will aren't going to light up the Jets. And with only one real threat at WR, I'm pretty sure Revis and Co. will have more success than that bum Grimes.

Fortunately the Jets' offense is pretty bad right now due to players out or players playing hurt. I'm thinking, take the under, and don't bet the farm on a win. Rex is going to try to out-do himself for this, putting in schemes his players can't execute.

Great rant. Except the grimes part. He's pretty good, now the whole item is trash.

I disagree. In the grasp is usually when the guy is wrapped up but still upright, not when someone just has a handful of jersey and the QB can still move their feet. I think Taylor was still free. It reminded me of Eli Manning on the helmet catch play in the Super Bowl.

They really don't call it anymore. There were too many controversial calls of it when a QB made a completion but was ruled "in the grasp" back in the day. It never prevented the QB from being brought down anyway.

The in the grasp rule hasn't been called in years and years. It was always a bad rule to begin with.

They still call in once in awhile, and it's surely still in the rule book, and it definitely would have been the right call. Suh had him in total control, in the grasp, and it should have been ruled dead. Suh was right.

Yeah, as much as people are (rightly) claiming that the play should have been blown dead they are ignoring that Suh had his hand inside the back of TT's shoulder pad, which should have been a penalty.

I'm not sure about it but I think you have to drag him down for it to be a penalty. Not just grab him there.

They still call in once in awhile, and it's surely still in the rule book, and it definitely would have been the right call. Suh had him in total control, in the grasp, and it should have been ruled dead. Suh was right.

No, they never call it. Seriously -- and I mean never. Call me nerdy, but I've been paying attention to this for the last 10-15 years. Yes, it's in the rule book, but it's greatly modified/weakened. They changed it nearly a quarter century ago, and for a good reason. http://articles.philly.com/1991-03-21/sports/25791277_1_jerry-seeman-rule-nfl-owners

There is no upside to calling it - if they call it and the QB makes a play, there is nothing but controversy. If they don't call it, who cares? The qb is going down anyway.

Edited by dave mcbride

No, they never call it. Seriously -- and I mean never. Call me nerdy, but I've been paying attention to this for the last 10-15 years. Yes, it's in the rule book, but it's greatly modified/weakened. They changed it nearly a quarter century ago, and for a good reason. http://articles.philly.com/1991-03-21/sports/25791277_1_jerry-seeman-rule-nfl-owners

There is no upside to calling it - if they call it and the QB makes a play, there is nothing but controversy. If they don't call it, who cares? The qb is going down anyway.

I have definitely seen it called recently. As you know, I watch a lot of football. They still call it. Sometimes you won't hear the announcer say that is what they called when they do. QBs get held up and not really moving and they blow the whistle before they get slammed to the ground.

The QB really has to be in the grasp though. I agree it's way different rule than was 25 years ago. This was a perfect example of it though.

I have definitely seen it called recently. As you know, I watch a lot of football. They still call it. Sometimes you won't hear the announcer say that is what they called when they do. QBs get held up and not really moving and they blow the whistle before they get slammed to the ground.

The QB really has to be in the grasp though. I agree it's way different rule than was 25 years ago. This was a perfect example of it though.

I watch a lot too, and I have never seen it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen plays where it wasn't called and an announcer wondered whether it should have been called, all the while ignorant of the fact that old rule from the 80s (when it became infamous) that they're relying on doesn't exist anymore. Anyway, if you read the piece, it becomes clear that if the guy is standing and can make a throw (no matter how feeble), there is no way in hell they are calling it. No way. And Taylor was both upright and able to make a feeble throw that was still strong enough to get past the LOS (and he was pretty far behind it). You're wrong on this one, Dog.

Edited by dave mcbride

I watch a lot too, and I have never seen it. I can't tell you how many times I've seen plays where it wasn't called and an announcer wondered whether it should have been called, all the while ignorant of the fact that old rule from the 80s (when it became infamous) that they're relying on doesn't exist anymore. Anyway, if you read the piece, if the guy is standing and can make a throw (no matter how feeble), there is no way in hell they are calling it. No way. And Taylor was both upright and able to make a feeble throw that was still strong enough to get past the LOS (and he was pretty far behind it). You're wrong on this one, Dog.

He was not able to make a throw. You call that a throw? That's the definition of in the grasp. The rule is designed to stop a QB from being needlessly slammed to the ground after there is no chance any more for him to complete a pass. That is EXACTLY what happened, and NComiccon Suh of all people knew it and intentionally let up because he knew TT was in the grasp and decided against slamming him to the ground. That is the quintessential in the grasp play and why it's there.

He was not able to make a throw. You call that a throw? That's the definition of in the grasp. The rule is designed to stop a QB from being needlessly slammed to the ground after there is no chance any more for him to complete a pass. That is EXACTLY what happened, and NComiccon Suh of all people knew it and intentionally let up because he knew TT was in the grasp and decided against slamming him to the ground. That is the quintessential in the grasp play and why it's there.

I do call that a throw. It brings to mind a Monday night game between the Raiders and the Chiefs in 1997 in which the Raiders were controlling the game and Jeff George was playing great. But on a play in which he was even more in the grasp than Taylor, he made an even more feeble underhand throw that was picked off and returned for a TD. The tide of the game turned, and the Raiders blew it. The league is not going to disallow such a play, which has the potential to be dramatic one way or the other--either escaping from the jaws of death or committing a huge offensive blunder. Either way, it has the potential to be an incredibly exciting play. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199709080rai.htm.

Edited by dave mcbride