An Early Look at the Bills 2016 Cap Situation & FA Targets

@RQUINN619

I broke down #Bills '16 cap situation, possible roster moves & 5 potential FA targets http://billsmafia.com/2015/11/06/a-way-too-early-look-at-buffalo-bills-2016-salary-cap-situation-potential-nfl-free-agent-interests/

CTOb2clWoAAdzcb.jpg

The Buffalo Bills are entering a crucial point in the franchise’s rebuilding timeline. There’s rumblings of discontent between General Manager Doug Whaley and Rex Ryan’s coaching staff, due to a myriad of decisions (trading Matt Cassel being the most disruptive) that’s caused a rift in an organization looking to right the ship.

Heading into the 2015 season, the Bills had one of the most exciting and talented rosters from top to bottom on paper. The problem is that games are played in real life and not on paper, so heading into the team’s eighth game with a 3-4 record, while they still are well in the playoff mix, they’ll have several key decisions to make during the 2016 offseason.

Following the 2015 season, quality starters at key positions in which the team lacks depth—left tackle Cordy Glenn, left guard Richie Incognito and linebacker Nigel Bradham—will become unrestricted free agents.

While Glenn and Bradham are the big name free agents, there’s a handful of valuable role players and reserves that are set to hit free agency. Below is a depth chart featuring the Bills starting roster without it’s free agents. Those highlighted in yellow are “Restricted Free Agents” while those highlighted blue are unrestricted. Percy Harvin’s contract is likely to be voided following the season which will save the team $10 million in 2016 salary cap charges.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

$11 million in space before voiding Percy's deal. Meaning $21 million in space -- plus another four with McKelvins deal. And another 5 or so to that w Mario restructuring - and someone tell me (BuffaloBillsForever I'm looking at you) how this team is in bad cap shape? :lol:

And that's with this articles projection of the cap only going up 8% -- most expect it to go up even more in 2016.

This is when you know hope is dwindling.

It reinforces hope for me. I get what you are saying in terms of this season, but for all the doom and gloom that Shady's deal (along w others) have crippled the Bills future cap space this article is a breath of fresh air.

Edited by GreggyT

To me the Glenn situation is really gonna really depend on Salary demands

- I was initually all in on this guy like last year that he was a priority

- THen he appeared to reach his ceiling and level off

- Cordy Glenn is a GOOD left tackle who would be a GREAT right tackle

So........would this team actually look better when a FA or Seantrel Henderson at LT and Cordy Glenn at RT?

and....can we pay him accordingly?

Anyone know why Road-hack had the Bills at only $1.5m or so under next year's cap of approx. $150m even after voiding Harvin's deal?

Because a lot of people assume they understand how the cap works, even professional journalists, when in reality they don't. Plus, some people are really bad at math.

$11 million in space before voiding Percy's deal. Meaning $21 million in space -- plus another four with McKelvins deal. And another 5 or so to that w Mario restructuring - and someone tell me (BuffaloBillsForever I'm looking at you) how this team is in bad cap shape? :lol:

And that's with this articles projection of the cap only going up 8% -- most expect it to go up even more in 2016.

Can't restructure Mario...will just push back money..if anything he gets a contract extension....

I like this team. Definitely top half of the league when healthy. Pegs and Rex are a big draw for FAs. Future is brighter than its been in a long time. They took a total flyer on Harvin and lost. happens all the time. no big deal. just give me a team as healthy as the Bengals or Broncos and lets see what they can do.

I think it is "turning money into bonus" If I understand it correctly.

They have been holding onto that poker chip for some time. Time to cash it in.

i think Mario's time is up. He's a classic 4-3 four man rush guy now out of place in a gimmick defense. He made sense in Schwartz's defense; not now.

Let someone else pay him.

It reinforces hope for me. I get what you are saying in terms of this season, but for all the doom and gloom that Shady's deal (along w others) have crippled the Bills future cap space this article is a breath of fresh air.

I think he meant because they've played 7 games and people are looking at next year already.

Personally, I think it's about a day early for these type of posts. If the manage to lose to the Phins they'll be in "there's always next year" mode. Until then, I say there's still a decent shot at the playoffs. They've got to win 2 of 3 though.

I think it is "turning money into bonus" If I understand it correctly.

They have been holding onto that poker chip for some time. Time to cash it in.

Realistically I'm not sure that chip exists without an extension though.

Of course he is...it means a big check handed to him.

But unfortunately he's low on the list of deals where it makes sense logistically.if you push dollars out of this year they are being tacked onto a 16m+ cap hit in his final year.

If you turn 10m of his salary into bonus in the offseason it just makes next year 14m and the next 21m and impossible to cut. You want to restructure guys early in deals so you can spread the money across 3-4 years. A guy in the final two years of a deal that is already heavy in the back is someone you extend now, cut a year or let him play it out and leave

Edited by NoSaint

Link comes up "about: blank" for me

I am assuming you're using a mobile device of some kind. This happens to me from time to time on my phone as well (android based).

If so, a work around for google chrome is to keep pressing on the link until you're presented with a menu of how you want to open a link. Select "open in new tab". Next, slide down on you're browser to get the browser menu to open and click on the tab box (square box with a # inside l). Select the article and it should be there to read. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm sorry if this doesn't apply to your situation. I have tried to do some troubleshooting but unfortunately found nothing that corrected it.

Since everything comes back to Shady with you........doesn't Shady have a $20M dead money hit if they cut him this winter? :lol: