Biker brawl in Texas

/dev/null

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That data is a bit dubious, because it throws in less at fault (includes cases where motorcycle is passing a car making a left turn)

More data points

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/motorcycle-accidents-common-causes-30330.html

http://www.iii.org/issue-update/motorcycle-crashes

The vast majority of left turn accidents are when the driver of an automobile doesn't see a bike coming from the left, and they pull out, ending up with the bike hitting the car at full speed, depending on reaction time. It's most riders' greatest fear. I think the data is very accurate. Probably fair to say that 90% of the 20% of bikers at fault were being dicks. But I think most bikers are responsible. It's really pretty stupid not to be.

The vast majority of left turn accidents are when the driver of an automobile doesn't see a bike coming from the left, and they pull out, ending up with the bike hitting the car at full speed, depending on reaction time. It's most riders' greatest fear. I think the data is very accurate. Probably fair to say that 90% of the 20% of bikers at fault were being dicks. But I think most bikers are responsible. It's really pretty stupid not to be.

With regard to your remark about most bikers being responsible I think it's safe to say you've not driven the CA freeways much. Those guys are crazy.

I can't imagine how great of a feeling riding a bike must be - to put yourself in so much danger. I love the feeling of skiing. It would have to be at least double that for me to get on a bike.

I do think bike deaths are way down this year. Usually that third page of the local news in the Buffalo News would have had 10 deaths by now. I think there's only been one this year.

Putting your lives in the hands of idiots texting all the time just is too much now, even if you do everything perfect.

Disgusting article. The writer should be fired for being a moron.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/see-difference-between-perceptions-waco-baltimore-071956990.html

That was a pretty stupid piece. He compares the biker shootout to Ferguson and Baltimore protests (as though a feud between rival gangs is in any way analogous to protests), then admits it's not an "apples-to-apples" comparison (ya think?), then proceeds to draw a conclusion (which is not only contrived but also a bit disconnected from the rest of the article) based on the assumption that it is a relevant comparison.

I regret giving that (*^*&%^$^#another click.

I can't imagine how great of a feeling riding a bike must be - to put yourself in so much danger. I love the feeling of skiing. It would have to be at least double that for me to get on a bike.

I do think bike deaths are way down this year. Usually that third page of the local news in the Buffalo News would have had 10 deaths by now. I think there's only been one this year.

Putting your lives in the hands of idiots texting all the time just is too much now, even if you do everything perfect.

True. Seems traffic deaths are down in Illinois. They post it on sign boards... I see one every day on my way to work. We are on pace for about 700 or so, but summer months are coming. I wonder how many are bikes?

Thank "Global Warming!" ;-) Last year the numbers were down too... Coincidence we are having colder winters?

Anyway... I think people in cars have a hard time judging a bikes speed and distance when making a left. That usually doesn't end well... Even if there is never a collison, the bike could be dumped.

The two (bikes and cars) are simply oil and water on the road... Just like the "I hate bicycles thread." You have one bigger and one smaller, and one will always lose if there is a collision. There are times, they simply are not seen until it is too late. Maybe it is because I work on the water, I subscribe to the "stay the heck away from anything bigger approach... Or get away from anything bigger approach." You would never ride in the blind spot of anybody? Or would you?

It's all too much of an unecessary risk to save a few bucks in a world that simply doesn't give a two poops about doing anything "right." I agree, why would I put my trust in other's hands and expect them to get it right.

That was a pretty stupid piece. He compares the biker shootout to Ferguson and Baltimore protests (as though a feud between rival gangs is in any way analogous to protests), then admits it's not an "apples-to-apples" comparison (ya think?), then proceeds to draw a conclusion (which is not only contrived but also a bit disconnected from the rest of the article) based on the assumption that it is a relevant comparison.

I regret giving that (*^*&%^$^#another click.

Perfect summary.

With regard to your remark about most bikers being responsible I think it's safe to say you've not driven the CA freeways much. Those guys are crazy.

I've not. Only once in my life, actually. I'm sure the number of idiot riders in CA is very high, but I still believe that most - nationwide - are responsible. I honestly don't know why anyone would be stupid on a bike.

As bbb said, the ass holes texting are the biggest problem. The left-hand turn accidents are mainly due to the automobile drivers not looking closely enough. I wouldn't go so far as to call them negligent. But the texters ... they are the most dangerous drivers on the road. More dangerous than the 16-year olds; more dangerous than the elderly; more dangerous than the drunks. Those drivers are all doing the one thing that texters cannot do ... looking at the road.

I've not. Only once in my life, actually. I'm sure the number of idiot riders in CA is very high, but I still believe that most - nationwide - are responsible. I honestly don't know why anyone would be stupid on a bike.

As bbb said, the ass holes texting are the biggest problem. The left-hand turn accidents are mainly due to the automobile drivers not looking closely enough. I wouldn't go so far as to call them negligent. But the texters ... they are the most dangerous drivers on the road. More dangerous than the 16-year olds; more dangerous than the elderly; more dangerous than the drunks. Those drivers are all doing the one thing that texters cannot do ... looking at the road.

Oh I know most bikers are responsible. Especially the ones I'm familiar with in WNY that mostly ride back roads.

The crazies in CA that lane split at 80-90 and sneak up on you. When you're difficult to see in the first place sneaking up on cars is just plain stupid.

Oh I know most bikers are responsible. Especially the ones I'm familiar with in WNY that mostly ride back roads.

The crazies in CA that lane split at 80-90 and sneak up on you. When you're difficult to see in the first place sneaking up on cars is just plain stupid.

Agree 100%.

Yup, my experience last week.

The volunteer fire fighters around here refer to motorcyclists as 'organ donors'.

The problem for me really isn't that a motorcycle is allowed to weave through traffic that is otherwise at a standstill. The problem is that they do it regardless of the speed of traffic. I'm often tempted to open my door when I see them coming.

So what they're trying to legalize is that a motorcycle can split lanes if regular traffic is going up to 35 mph, and that to me is just a bad idea.

Unfortunately, on the list of bad ideas in California, this one down on the bottom for me.