Again the Defense....

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not just all about the sack numbers either because if the Bills were getting pressures, and hits on the opposing QB then sack numbers aren't that big a deal. But they aren't, and there is a direct correlation between sacks, hits, pressures.

It is a passing league, and it is all about getting pressure on the QB.

Going from #1 in 2014, and #2 in 2013 in sacks, and sack percentage just shows that Rex Ryan's defensive scheme isn't even close to what Schwartz was able to do despite being statistically good in total defense.

and man, the very last thing I want to hear or see is this HC crying because he needs different players like he did with the Jets.

Im older and become a lurker here at tbd. Has anybody mentioned now that the D line has been paid they've become lazy?

Those four players have been complaining publicly about how they are being utilized under Rex Ryan, (or should I say miss used) and Dareus has been vocal about it since training camp. Those are four pro bowlers we are taking about and each one of them has a tremendous fire in them to be great.

You have to know something is seriously wrong when the players themselves are criticizing the scheme.

Part of it has been injuries no doubt, players have stepped in like Rambo but then exposed in later games; Rex's scheme depends on the safeties more than Schwartz's which depended on the linebackers. Williams (part time) and Graham is a big downgrade from Williams and Searcy; I also think the safeties may not be right fit for scheme for Rex typically had some safeties who for lack of better description were very heady not all-pro athletes.

Part of it was the QB competition in camp which robbed the defense of valuable snaps to understand the new defense were playing; too much was made on that the scheme was similar to Pettine when it is only alike in basics and the advanced tactics are what makes Rex's scheme work.

Seriously, who gives a crap about the rushing stats or gap control when you can't get pressure on the QB when it does matter most!

Pretty much everyone did just a couple years ago when we sucked against the run!

As I've said before I don't think I've heard the players take any accountability. At least not the ones who went out of their way to criticize the coach. If they want to point out that the scheme isn't effectively taking advantage of their strengths, fine. But there have been breakdowns in execution too - would be nice to have someone admit that or just to tack on "we need to play better too"

I agree. Regardless how the players "really" feel, the public face needs to be "Regardless of the system, I need to whip the ass of the guy in front of me and make a play."

Used to be much more of that in professional sports. Precious little of it now.

GO BILLS!!!

The Bills are currently ranked 11th on total defense, 17th in passing, 4th in rushing. Those stats have little meaning if you can't stop the opposing QB in crunch time!!!!!!!!! Fans complain about EJ but the Bills had the lead with 5 min to go, and couldn't stop Blake Bortles when it counted most.

"There was improvement, too. The Bills couldn't stop the Jaguars when it mattered most late, but a unit put in difficult situations all game long did get an interception returned for a touchdown, hurried Blake Bortles and had four other three-and-out's."

Seriously, who gives a crap about the rushing stats or gap control when you can't get pressure on the QB when it does matter most! The Buffalo Bills are currently 30th in sacks with just 11 sacks! With a abysmal 3.7 sack percentage!

No matter how you shape it, slice it or cut it up. This years defense is the biggest letdown of the team so far this year in my view.

We didn't blitz on the final drive - mario and hughes didnt cover on the final drive. They just didnt get any pressure. How do you blame rex for that?

Edited by dneveu

The Bills are currently ranked 11th on total defense, 17th in passing, 4th in rushing. Those stats have little meaning if you can't stop the opposing QB in crunch time!!!!!!!!! Fans complain about EJ but the Bills had the lead with 5 min to go, and couldn't stop Blake Bortles when it counted most

Bills are #18 in Points Per Game given up. That's the problem. Statistically we don't look so bad. But we're giving up waaaaaaaay too many points. So many, that we can't win with the #9 offense in Points Per Game scored.

That's the defenses job. Keep the other team from scoring points. Stop rolling over in the Red Area.

Edited by reddogblitz

Im older and become a lurker here at tbd. Has anybody mentioned now that the D line has been paid they've become lazy?

excepting Kyle you mean?

No, it's about their starting positions.

naw, they have not bought in.Need to work harder at the job.

excepting Kyle who just works and grinds no matter what.

Those four players have been complaining publicly about how they are being utilized under Rex Ryan, (or should I say miss used) and Dareus has been vocal about it since training camp. Those are four pro bowlers we are taking about and each one of them has a tremendous fire in them to be great.

You have to know something is seriously wrong when the players themselves are criticizing the scheme.

yep. they have talked themselves into playing half assed.

This is not a democratic environment. do the work you are assigned.

the only thing wrong is they need a kick in the petards

We didn't blitz on the final drive - mario and hughes didnt cover on the final drive. They just didnt get any pressure. How do you blame rex for that?

i dont know? how do we?

@AP_NFL

Mixed messages: Ryan, @BuffaloBills players seem at odds over whether to simplify defense http://apne.ws/1MIPPuT

(@john_wawrow)

i dont like the thought of the sailors navigating the boat. I am sure they have a suggestion box LOL.

but really they have team meetings, why is all this in the press?

Bills brain trust needs to let our all pro defensive line do what it does best.....pin ears back and get after the QB/Ball carrier. I cringe every time I see Mario Williams and Kyle Williams dropping into coverage. These guys are built to instill fear into opposing QBs. That can't be done when they are running away from the QB. Seesh!

So during the Jags game you cringed exactly once... The time MW dropped into coverage. This crap is now so overblown. The myth is greater than the reality.

This on not true. The Bills D players all talked about how much they loved the defense in training camp. It didn't start to become an issue until maybe the Giants game. There were really only two games ( NE and CIN ) where guys on DL dropped into coverage a bunch of times. Rex said in hindsight his idea to play coverages vs those 2 QBs was a mistake. Can we stop rewriting history and forget it already? In case no one noticed, they stopped doing that esp vs JAX. It was a couple bad gameplans. It's not a staple of Ryan's D.

So during the Jags game you cringed exactly once... The time MW dropped into coverage. This crap is now so overblown. The myth is greater than the reality.

This on not true. The Bills D players all talked about how much they loved the defense in training camp. It didn't start to become an issue until maybe the Giants game. There were really only two games ( NE and CIN ) where guys on DL dropped into coverage a bunch of times. Rex said in hindsight his idea to play coverages vs those 2 QBs was a mistake. Can we stop rewriting history and forget it already? In case no one noticed, they stopped doing that esp vs JAX. It was a couple bad gameplans. It's not a staple of Ryan's D.

For the life of me I can't figure out why you continue to want to defend a defense that isn't even coming close to utilizing its players like it should.

This year the Bills are 29th in sacks, and 27 in sack percentage when this team basically lead the league the last two years. Its been like this in just about every game this year, and a big reason as to why the stats for sacks, hits, pressures for the Bills defense is so bad this year. Conversely, Denver leads the NFL in sacks, hits pressures and a big why their defense is currently ranked #1.

"As far as Dareus is concerned, simpler is better. He has felt that since training camp, when he complained publicly about not seeing eye-to-eye with how he was being coached."

"Ryan employs a base 3-4 defense. Hughes and Mario Williams, who led the Bills with 14.5 sacks last season, are not positioned anywhere near as wide as they were by Schwartz. There isn’t as much of an attack-up-the-field philosophy with the linemen. It’s more about doing things that allow linebackers to be a greater part of the play-making than before."

"In another significant change, Kyle Williams often finds himself lining up outside, in a standing position, rather than inside and in a three-point stance as he was last year. He also will move laterally, in an effort to draw blockers from other defenders."

http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/10/07/bills-d-line-experiencing-disconnect-with-scheme/

I mean WTF! What complete horsecrap this coaching staff is doing with the Bills front four this year. This is why these men are complaining publicly about what they are being asked to do this year.