Eric Wood is 2nd ranked Center in NFL by PFF

YoloinOhio

Geno Atkins did not seem to be a huge problem on Sunday.

I agree that he played reasonably well against Cincy, but I thought he was overmatched and often abused in the Titans game. He's not the worst center in the league by any stretch. I'd say he's average with regard to his play, with some "gamer" aspects that put him in the slightly-above-average category.

I do an analysis every week looking at the All 22 on O LIne pass protect.. and in general Wood has looked very solid in pass protect this year. ( he was generally awful last year.. but seems much improved this year).

He had some trouble picking up stunts in the Colts game but has seemed to work that out with his guards since then. I can't speak for his run blocking.. but here are the general comments I had on each game of his so far regarding his pass protection

COLTS - shaky

PATRIOTS - avg

DOLPHINS - very good, breakout game

GIANTS - solid

TITANS - solid

BENGALS - solid

Edited by Bocephuz

Respectfully disagree. I'm not suggesting that Wood is an all-star center but I consider him (this year) to be a solid center. As I said in the prior post upgrade the play of the qb and an upgrade on OL performance will follow.

In the Cincinatti game I thought the OL played well. They did a good job in pass blocking and there were lanes for McCoy to follow. Your eyes are more jaundiced than mine.

I've watched him get manhandled by defenders for the past two seasons.

Physically beaten. Often overwhelmed.

His decline in performance began when he stopped anchoring and driving in the run game......but not coincidentally his lack of durability ceased being an issue around the same time.

When he was good, he played with some athleticism and knee bend.

But he also was busting up his knees and even had a leg snapped in two trying to hold a block.

So now he's just another guy out there......a very highly paid JAG....and if Kyle Orton or Matt Cassel were still here...or even if EJ was given more starts...... teams would still be attacking Wood and the guards like nobody's business with both DL and blitzing LB's.

Once again......a case of me telling people exactly what would happen.......and now that it is coming to fruition I am being told I have a jaundiced eye when I point out that circumstance is creating a false impression. :lol::doh:

By the way.......the Seahawks.......with a super sketchy offensive line and a huge hole at center after they traded away their center this offseason....ran for 200 yards in Cincy the week before Wood and company had such a stellar game at home against the Bengals D. :rolleyes:

And now this...

@PFF: Top 5 O-Lines in pass blocking efficiency:

1. Cowboys

2. Raiders

3. Bengals

4. Falcons

5. Bills

I don't know if we're top 5, but the O-line has looked pretty solid this year. I don't know if it's the QB's running more, or what. Way better than last year and 2013, although we did get rid of turnstiles and have quality players.

I don't know if we're top 5, but the O-line has looked pretty solid this year. I don't know if it's the QB's running more, or what. Way better than last year and 2013, although we did get rid of turnstiles and have quality players.

And coaches who know how to actually teach offensive lineman at the NFL level. That helps loads.

I do an analysis every week looking at the All 22 on O LIne pass protect.. and in general Wood has looked very solid in pass protect this year. ( he was generally awful last year.. but seems much improved this year).

He had some trouble picking up stunts in the Colts game but has seemed to work that out with his guards since then. I can't speak for his run blocking.. but here are the general comments I had on each game of his so far regarding his pass protection

COLTS - shaky

PATRIOTS - avg

DOLPHINS - very good, breakout game

GIANTS - solid

TITANS - solid

BENGALS - solid

I dont study like you do Bocephuz , but Wood has seemed to gathered himself after last years abysmal effort. i might note he struggled pre season also and was blown off the ball in one on ones.

I would take your opinion over PFF anyday.

one thing i will say, is i have not noticed him sucking lately.

well it is coming around. top five?

HA! no .

I dont study like you do Bocephuz , but Wood has seemed to gathered himself after last years abysmal effort. i might note he struggled pre season also and was blown off the ball in one on ones.

HA! no .

He is definitely not sucking as much this year as last year. Last year more often than not he was below average.. getting both physically and mentally beaten on a regular basis. This year he looks to be much stouter at the point of attack and is making less mental mistakes.. ( although.. he still appears to misread the occasional stunt ).. but nowhere near as bad as he looked last year.

He is definitely not sucking as much this year as last year. Last year more often than not he was below average.. getting both physically and mentally beaten on a regular basis. This year he looks to be much stouter at the point of attack and is making less mental mistakes.. ( although.. he still appears to misread the occasional stunt ).. but nowhere near as bad as he looked last year.

HA! no .

Regarding being in the top 5 o lines... I suppose it's possible if you just look at pass protection that the Bills line deserves to be there. I have a hard time believing they rank in the top 5 in run blocking ( although that is just a subjective guess on my part as I have not reviewed the run blocking tape in depth... just basing that off the eyeball test)

A bit surprising as every time we try to run up the middle, the running back has to fight to get back to the line of scrimmage.

This! :thumbsup: My eyes tell me the line is not that good, and like others have mentioned having a LG next to him that is grading as one of the top LG's in the league is certainly helping him this year.

Contrary to what PFF says about one player...the entire line is suffering for various reasons. Against the crappy Jags the line looked better then it has all season, but how many times will they play a bad 1-5 team (that beat them)

The rushing stats tend to say more about the running QB then they do what the RB's are able to do in any given game.

FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS has the Bills 30th in run blocking, 28th in pass blocking. NFL.com has them the 6th worst line with 20 sacks, 37 QB hits.