EJ versus Tyrod

Absolutely. EJ has been on a rampage this season with the torrent of injuries he's caused - and the throw to Watkin that broke his ankle is uncalled for and certainly not the sign of a team player.

I am not going to say that EJ hurt Sammy with that throw...I think that is a little over the top

but

The way EJ throws behind and low to his receivers CONSTANTLY is maddening....just maddening

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it seems like EJ didn't impress enough for anyone to talk about him being the starter when Taylor returns from injury.

I would argue that 1. there was zero drop off in overall production from the QB position with EJ in.

2. EJ actually had the best total passing yards in a Bills game this season.

3. EJ gets sacked once every 21 attempts and Tyrod has been sacked once per every 9.8 attempts

4. Tyrod loses on average 7.14 yards per sack and EJ has averaged 3.5 yards lost per sack

5. EJ had at least 6 completions to WRs in this game. Tyrod has struggled to hit WRs. Last game our top two wideo outs had 1 catch

6. EJ also made plays with his feet albeit less exciting ones but he got a TD and a bug first down when needed.

7. While the Bills went 3 and out an embarrassing 50% of the time under EJ, they did the same thing against the Titans under Tyrod and Taylor did even worse against the Giants where the Bills were 57% 3 and out.

Both are throwing close to 70% completion, Tyrod a little over EJ a little under.

Neither is tearing it up the way they should with all these weapons.

Personally I think EJ has more potential because he actually can play from the pocket. If he has more practice time as the number one he could elevate his game. I feel like Taylor is already playing at the top of his game and the result is not much better than EJ in mid learning curve.

I say start EJ against Jacksonville. If he doesn't play better than this week then Taylor can come back after the bye but if EJ plays well I think you use the BYE to establish EJ as the QB because these scrambling QBs don't last more than a few games without injury. My prediction is that EJ would have to start week 5 when Tyrod got hurt and I was only a week off. Michael Vick has only had one season out of 13 where he was able to avoid injury. That is a telling stat.

2. Tyrod threw for 277 against Miami, and 274 against the Giants. EJ threw for 263 Sunday.

To the bolded, our offense was averaging 31 points per game (27, 32, 34) when Sammy and Shady played in games. 31 points per game is plenty.

I think it's safe to assume that guys are more open with Sammy on the field than when Sammy isn't.

So what are you arguing? They were down 17-14 at half while Watkins was in the game against a 6-0 football team. It's not like they weren't producing.

The OP forgot to mention that EJ actually caused Sammy Watkins to injure his ankle yesterday with that horrible, horrible TD throw. How convenient that he left that little morsel out. EJ injures his own teammates.

Aaaaand this is why there won't be any constructive discussion on this subject. Multiple people seem to think that the 30 yard touchdown pass, thrown on the run, was so horrible it caused an injury because it required the receiver, who was lightly jogging, to plant his foot (!!!!). Oh the horror. Do you people actually watch other football games? Completely unreasonable expectations.

I would argue that 1. there was zero drop off in overall production from the QB position with EJ in.

Great--that's exactly what you want in a backup QB.

You should have quit there.

And how many games did EJ last as the starter last before getting injured (multiple times)?

Edited by Mr. WEO

They're what the Bills have but neither appears to be a long-term solution.

But, but, Rex said they are the present and the future!!!! :wallbash:

Which of these issues is more correctable? TT doesn’t see open receivers and can’t/won’t step up into the pocket. EJ appears to see the open receivers more often but then he often throws low or behind them. As a result of these shortcomings, they both leave all sorts of plays/yards on the field, regardless of what the stats say.

In theory, as TT gains experience, he should start to see the whole field better and be more comfortable in the pocket. Is there anything that EJ can do to improve his accuracy so he doesn’t get his receivers killed? If he hasn’t figured that out yet, I doubt he ever will.

Absolutely. EJ has been on a rampage this season with the torrent of injuries he's caused - and the throw to Watkin that broke his ankle is uncalled for and certainly not the sign of a team player.

How is EJ throwing a ball. A routine pass to an open guy low and away from the closest defender. To a guy who is looking square up at you hurting a player... i missed the gruesome way bis body bent. I missed the hit he led im into. Missed all that. They act like the pass was a 2 yd lob. Was EJ not on the run about 20 yds out? I just wish people would get over it. Taylor is the qb. We know that. Why trash the guy who was splitting reps in practice potentially getting ready to start where the starter was STILL taking snaps. Insanity

Aaaaand this is why there won't be any constructive discussion on this subject. Multiple people seem to think that the 30 yard touchdown pass, thrown on the run, was so horrible it caused an injury because it required the receiver, who was lightly jogging, to plant his foot (!!!!). Oh the horror. Do you people actually watch other football games? Completely unreasonable expectations.

Yes, I watch games. I see Rodgers hit his receivers in stride. I see Brady do the same. Because they have talented receivers. EJ's throw to Sammy while running to his right was a reckless display of athleticism causing injury to our franschise WR. He should actually be fined.

Did you even watch Ron Brooks get a flag for taunting. EJ even has the special teams players thinking he is invincible. He causes physical injuries and mental lapses. Reckless I say...reckless.

How is EJ throwing a ball. A routine pass to an open guy low and away from the closest defender. To a guy who is looking square up at you hurting a player... i missed the gruesome way bis body bent. I missed the hit he led im into. Missed all that. They act like the pass was a 2 yd lob. Was EJ not on the run about 20 yds out? I just wish people would get over it. Taylor is the qb. We know that. Why trash the guy who was splitting reps in practice potentially getting ready to start where the starter was STILL taking snaps. Insanity

Because, Agent 91 - EJ Manuel is a menace to society and needs to be stopped. I'm surprised you overlooked his intentions with that pass. It seemed everyone in the stadium surely was more angered with the pass than the resulting 6 points it netted the team.

Because, Agent 91 - EJ Manuel is a menace to society and needs to be stopped. I'm surprised you overlooked his intentions with that pass. It seemed everyone in the stadium surely was more angered with the pass than the resulting 6 points it netted the team.

I think you are being trolled. EJ's true intentions are as plain as the nose on his face.

Edited by BringBackFergy

Yes EJ rolling Right and throwing on the run caused Watkins to roll his ankle. How dare we ask a WR to stop and sit down in an open spot. The Turf and choice of Cleats got Watkins hurt not EJ.

Give me a break.

I never had a feeling in yesterday's game that we might come back and win it.....none

I have never had a doubt that we might come back and win it with Tyrod

Im sorry I know that doesnt match up with the stats......its just a gut feeling

Was TT gonna play defense in the third quarter?

It's hard to say what would have happened, but our D and special teams dug holes that I doubt he could get out of. We were down 17 points after the 3rd quarter after showing no signs of being able to stop them since their first possession of the game. It just wasn't the same as rallying against the Titans and I doubt TT could have brought us back in the same fashion.

GO BILLS!!!

So what are you arguing? They were down 17-14 at half while Watkins was in the game against a 6-0 football team. It's not like they weren't producing.

Exactly. So comparing that first half to TT against the Titans and Giants is a little apples to oranges, no?

Yes EJ rolling Right and throwing on the run caused Watkins to roll his ankle. How dare we ask a WR to stop and sit down in an open spot. The Turf and choice of Cleats got Watkins hurt not EJ.

Give me a break.

Agreed. How dare EJ ask Watkins to stop and sit down in an open spot, when he knew full well that Watkins would need to break his own ankle as a sacrifice to make the catch.

Give me a break.

It's pretty clear that EJ didn't like Sammy's announcement the other day "Give me 10 targets...it makes me look bad". EJ did what any other competitor would do...throw it low and away and watch Sammy's ankle buckle. EJ has a sweet smile but a dark, dark side.

So it seems like EJ didn't impress enough for anyone to talk about him being the starter when Taylor returns from injury.

2. EJ actually had the best total passing yards in a Bills game this season.

3. EJ gets sacked once every 21 attempts and Tyrod has been sacked once per every 9.8 attempts

4. Tyrod loses on average 7.14 yards per sack and EJ has averaged 3.5 yards lost per sack

5. EJ had at least 6 completions to WRs in this game. Tyrod has struggled to hit WRs. Last game our top two wideo outs had 1 catch

6. EJ also made plays with his feet albeit less exciting ones but he got a TD and a bug first down when needed.

7. While the Bills went 3 and out an embarrassing 50% of the time under EJ, they did the same thing against the Titans under Tyrod and Taylor did even worse against the Giants where the Bills were 57% 3 and out.

Both are throwing close to 70% completion, Tyrod a little over EJ a little under.

Neither is tearing it up the way they should with all these weapons.

Personally I think EJ has more potential because he actually can play from the pocket. If he has more practice time as the number one he could elevate his game. I feel like Taylor is already playing at the top of his game and the result is not much better than EJ in mid learning curve.

I say start EJ against Jacksonville. If he doesn't play better than this week then Taylor can come back after the bye but if EJ plays well I think you use the BYE to establish EJ as the QB because these scrambling QBs don't last more than a few games without injury. My prediction is that EJ would have to start week 5 when Tyrod got hurt and I was only a week off. Michael Vick has only had one season out of 13 where he was able to avoid injury. That is a telling stat.

Stats can be decieving. EJ continually threw underneath on third down, knowing he would not get the first down. He does not deliver the ball with nearly the crispness and accuracy of Tyrod. He does not convey the sense of confidence in his team mates that Tyrod Taylor does. There are other things that are intangibles that are hard to quantify. I know you have your opinion, but I can't beleive that anyone can watch these two guys and conclude that EJ Manuel is the better option.