Blake Bortles: Dramatically Improved from 2014

The difference is that those Bills should have been 3-1 or 4-0 at that point, not 2-2.

And EJ had just cost them a game and had 2 costly bad games in a row.

Had Orton been the starting QB from the outset they likely make the playoffs.

Had EJ played thru they probably win only 6-7 games.

The team and the coach weren't in a good place to sacrifice a season to develop a QB.

9-7 isn't great but it's a winning season and created some momentum going into the offseason.....momentum that likely helped land Rex and a bunch of key players.

The Jags, meanwhile, are where they are supposed to be.

A Kyle Orton isn't going to prevent that roster from a losing season.

That's kind of dumb. It's a problem the Bills have, making the playoffs vs developing a QB. The #1 goal should be QB development.

The difference is that those Bills should have been 3-1 or 4-0 at that point, not 2-2.

And EJ had just cost them a game and had 2 costly bad games in a row.

Had Orton been the starting QB from the outset they likely make the playoffs.

Had EJ played thru they probably win only 6-7 games.

The team and the coach weren't in a good place to sacrifice a season to develop a QB.

9-7 isn't great but it's a winning season and created some momentum going into the offseason.....momentum that likely helped land Rex and a bunch of key players.

The Jags, meanwhile, are where they are supposed to be.

A Kyle Orton isn't going to prevent that roster from a losing season.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Everything you said was based on your projection of how the team should have been. To think that a 2-2 quarterback is going to have a losing season goes against the facts, and to blame EJ for the San Diego loss is equivalent to blaming Tyrod for the Giants loss.

The point I'm trying to make is that Bortles is going to get a few years to develop, and unsurprisingly he's allegedly improving. Here we complain about QB purgatory when in reality we had a guy in the exact same position as Bortles (albeit with a better team and record) but we dumped him to the curb. There's no positive spin in missing the playoffs and getting 12 games out of a guy who literally retired. To say they only win 6 games with EJ is crap.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Everything you said was based on your projection of how the team should have been. To think that a 2-2 quarterback is going to have a losing season goes against the facts, and to blame EJ for the San Diego loss is equivalent to blaming Tyrod for the Giants loss.

The point I'm trying to make is that Bortles is going to get a few years to develop, and unsurprisingly he's allegedly improving. Here we complain about QB purgatory when in reality we had a guy in the exact same position as Bortles (albeit with a better team and record) but we dumped him to the curb. There's no positive spin in missing the playoffs and getting 12 games out of a guy who literally retired. To say they only win 6 games with EJ is crap.

very true.

Difference is Bortles is already clearly better, not worse.

How much did Dave Caldwell invest in TE's and WR's his first 3 drafts on the job? (2013-2015) Two 2014 2nd round picks in Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson, the latter of whom is playing exceptionally well. Allen Hurns is also productive, a UDFA. And sure, so far the Julius Thomas UFA signing hasn't been great.

Meanwhile, the Bills have invested 2 1sts (Watkins), a 2nd (Woods), and a 3rd (Goodwin). Not to mention signing UFAs Harvin and Clay.

Caldwell prioritized getting the QB in the draft and didn't make excuses. In Buffalo, it's "QB purgatory."

Jacksonville is currently 27th in total points per game with 18.6 with a "Franchise QB and Awesome weapons". Buffalo is 9th with 24.8 "With a backup QB and better weapons"

It also helps to have:

2012: 5th overall pick

2013: 2nd overall pick

2014: 3rd overall pick

2015: 3rd overall pick

I sure wish the Bills could have horrid season after horrid season so we could get Blake Bortles!

Edited by What a Tuel

No no, I mean Bortles clearly has made a jump from his rookie season.

Based on the stats? It's not clear when I watch him, but it's clear that he's thrown less INTs and more TDs, so that's good.

His completion % is even worse.

Jacksonville is currently 27th in total points per game with 18.6 with a "Franchise QB and Awesome weapons". Buffalo is 9th with 24.8 "With a backup QB and better weapons"

It also helps to have:

I sure wish the Bills could have horrid season after horrid season so we could get Blake Bortles!

Yeah. But, according to some people, the Jags are exactly where they're supposed to be.

On their way to Los Angeles?

Rex and Thurman will certainly measure his progress next week in London.

hope he looks bad that week :D

but if he makes us look bad we are in trouble.

Drafting Bortles over Bridgewater should be a fireable offense for any GM.

Bortles has more potential and is a gamer, BW is solid about the same as Dalton

It also helps to have:

No, we just have average after average seasons and can never get to a top QB prospect.

No, we just have average after average seasons and can never get to a top QB prospect.

This mentality :wallbash: . They had 14 wins in 4 years, and are their way to the same (1-4) in the 2nd year of said magic qb prospect's career.

There is no silver bullet for Buffalo's QB situation. There have been far more 1st round QB flops than success stories lately. How many of these QB's would you trade for 4 years of losing seasons? What do you think the chances are you would pick the right one without hindsight? Sure the scouts have to do their jobs, but it isn't as simple as how the Colts "lucked" into it.

Winston

Mariota

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Manuel

Luck

Griffen

Tannehill

Weeden

Newton

Locker

Gabbert

Ponder

Bradford

Tebow

Edited by What a Tuel

More potential based on what? Forgive me, but wasn't it you that wanted to trade Mario for John Skelton?

If the Montreal Allouettes didn't release him in CFL training camp Skelton would still be an active professional football player.

More potential based on what? Forgive me, but wasn't it you that wanted to trade Mario for John Skelton?

yes so that means I can never make a mistake and now I can never be right again, thank you so much, what would I do without you :wub::wub:

This mentality :wallbash: . They had 14 wins in 4 years, and are their way to the same (1-4) in the 2nd year of said magic qb prospect's career.

There is no silver bullet for Buffalo's QB situation. There have been far more 1st round QB flops than success stories lately. How many of these QB's would you trade for 4 years of losing seasons? What do you think the chances are you would pick the right one without hindsight? Sure the scouts have to do their jobs, but it isn't as simple as how the Colts "lucked" into it.

Winston

Mariota

Bortles

Manziel

Bridgewater

Manuel

Luck

Griffen

Tannehill

Weeden

Newton

Locker

Gabbert

Ponder

Bradford

Tebow

and that list means?

Watt: Bortles will 'get better and better'

Blake Bortles is coming off the best two-game stretch of his young career, earning an AFC Offensive Player of the Week nomination after setting single-game career-highs in touchdowns (4) and passer rating (125.4) in the Jaguars' loss to the Buccaneers.

Showing tangible signs of improvement by the week, Bortles is now on pace for 4,157 yards and a 32:13 TD-to-INT ratio. In what is shaping up as a breakout season, he leads all NFL quarterbacks with 13 completions over 20 yards.