Bucky: Trading Cassel doesn’t look good right now

Is Bucky right?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. What is real issue

• Whaley is arrogant
    • Whaley is insecure
    • Bucky is self delusional , insecure and arrogant writer who just wants clicks

Is it reasonable to conclude that Whaley, by virtue of selecting Manuel, had more interest in him playing that the current coaching staff who did not pick him? I would think it logical. Is it reasonable to conclude then that Whaley was not as eager to sign clear starting competition to Manuel in Taylor and Cassel? I would think it logical. Is it reasonable then that Whaley, whom I believe is not signed beyond the 2015 season, would want his guy Manuel, on the game-day roster? This after Manuel was not dressed in weeks 1 and 2. I would think it logical. Therefore, it's logical that handling of the QB position has been done in a way so as to ensure the GM's QB had an opportunity, even if the primary backup, to get playing time should Taylor be injured. I also realize it's an exercise in futility to discuss logic with those for whom fan-hood will always supersede debate. We don't know for sure what happens behind closed doors at OBD, but drawing conclusions based on known facts is reasonable. What's not is going to bat for the team rain or shine, particularly with the track record this team has in recent years. That's not logical.

It's not reasonable to make those conclusions when Whaley has shown no evidence of favoring his own ego over the best interests of the team. Whaley knows that obtaining an extension from the Pegulas is dependent upon the team winning -- not him pushing a player on the coaching staff at all costs.

There have been multiple reasonable explanations offered for why Manuel was kept over Cassel. Those wanting to stay mired in the past choose to view those in the worst light.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens if Brady goes down? And then Garrapalo goes down?

What happens if Manning goes down? And then Osweiller goes down?

What happens if Wilson goes down? And then Tavaris Jackson goes down?

Are all those GMs idiots for not having the foresight to secure the all important position of 3rd string QB?

GO BILLS!!!

If Bucky doesn't like the GM in question, then emphatically YES. It does mean they're all idiots.

It's not reasonable to make those conclusions when Whaley has shown no evidence of favoring his own ego over the best interests of the team. Whaley knows that obtaining an extension from the Pegulas is dependent upon the team winning -- not him pushing a player on the coaching staff at all costs.

There have been multiple reasonable explanations offered for why Manuel was kept over Cassel. Those wanting to stay mired in the past choose to view those in the worst light.

I guess the issue here is whether you can lay blame on the GM based on loads of circumstantial evidence. I won't repeat each side's case here, but if Manuel has to play and struggles, then the staff was correct to make him third string and off the game-day roster. And eventually it'll leak out what happened, because most at OBD know this was a go for broke season.

We will see.

Cassel is AWFUL. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see articles like these. Cassel has been basically awful his whole career. He's a mediocre clipboard holder who looked good twice in his career. Once, almost a decade ago replacing Brady for a season, in a system that Belicheck can make ANYONE look good in....as proved by the failure of ALL former Pats QBs: Hoyer, Gradkowski, Mallett. Then he has one solid year for KC using the Alex Smith / Trent Edwards check down playbook. For the last 5 years Matt Cassel has been hot garbage and the Bills straight up robbed Dallas by getting ANYTHING for him. When he starts and fails in Dallas hopefully this will end these stupid, Whaley "jumped the gun" articles once and for all. Cassel has been in the league a decade and had two good years, but hasn't had a good one since 2010. He vomited a team into the playoffs once and was promptly blown out, never to return again. Over the last five years he has a rating that would place him in the bottom 5 of the league. Getting rid of this turd and getting something for him, may be Whaley best move of the year (if Tyrod doesn't pan out).

oh boy, :doh:

It was only pre-season, but EJ looked noticebly better. I have not been the biggest EJ fan, but maybe he just needed time to develop. Last year he drove me nuts by game 4. My guess is the previous coaching staff was horrible for EJ's development. I hope I'm right.

I really want to see EJ do well. I still like TT, but what if EJ can really be a strong starter for us? Let's see what happens Sunday. Cincy is a solid team, but it is their offense that is their strength. Who needs to show up is our defense. We need to play lights out defense this week. Gilmore will be tested big time with AJ Green. He is one of the top 3 WR in the league.

We have to get Sammy and Karlos back. That will give us a chance. McCoy has no shot coming back this week.

Pretty weak how the only ones who see thru Cassels pile of crap performances the last 5 years and want him on this team are top 5 ranked Ej bashers.

Open your eyes kids. Cassel stinks.

don't believe I qualify as a basher. however, I certainly don't feel his value to the team is consistent with his draft position. i'll be very happy if he plays well Sunday but the odds are not in favor of that based on a fairly long history.

Pretty weak how the only ones who see thru Cassels pile of crap performances the last 5 years and want him on this team are top 5 ranked Ej bashers.

Open your eyes kids. Cassel stinks.

I think most here (although I could be wrong about the percentages) aren't arguing that one is better than the other. The issue is whether the Bills should have carried three game-ready QBs given their overall QB situation.

I think most here (although I could be wrong about the percentages) aren't arguing that one is better than the other. The issue is whether the Bills should have carried three game-ready QBs given their overall QB situation.

Overall QB Situation? What situation? Tyrod probably going to play on Sunday and Bucky is !@#$ing dumb.

Overall QB Situation? What situation? Tyrod probably going to play on Sunday and Bucky is !@#$ing dumb.

The overall situation was and remains shaky. All of these guys are significantly flawed (although I like Taylor). They didn't even know who the starter would be in mid-August.

I guess the issue here is whether you can lay blame on the GM based on loads of circumstantial evidence. I won't repeat each side's case here, but if Manuel has to play and struggles, then the staff was correct to make him third string and off the game-day roster. And eventually it'll leak out what happened, because most at OBD know this was a go for broke season.

We will see.

Fair enough, but if Cassel plays and struggles in Dallas you'll have a hard time proving to anyone that he was the better option in Buffalo.

The overall situation was and remains shaky. All of these guys are significantly flawed (although I like Taylor). They didn't even know who the starter would be in mid-August.

I think their value on the open market speaks to that cassell wasn't worth much nor was taylor. I think we can be somewhat confident in assuming manuel had little trade value since they chose to keep him over cassel. that reflects on whaley, not the players.

Edited by birdog1960

I think their value on the open market speaks to that cassell wasn't worth much nor was taylor. I think we can be somewhat confident in assuming manuel had little trade value since they chose to keep him over cassel. that reflects on whaley, not the players.

I'm confident that they wouldn't trade Manuel unless the offer was truly good enough. For Cassel, they were willing to take a year's membership in the Jelly of the Month club. They just happened to get a pick thrown in as well.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

I'm confident that they wouldn't trade Manuel unless the offer was truly good enough. For Cassel, they were willing to take a year's membership in the Jelly of the Month club. They just happened to get a pick thrown in as well.

I think you are correct but I also think this supports bills vet's theory on whaley's motivation.

Edited by birdog1960

I think you are correct but I also think this supports bills vet's theory on whaley's motivation.

I disagree. I think it shows that Whaley knows that the value of a 3rd year player with every physical tool you could want at QB is far greater than that of a 10th year player with a noodle arm who has bounced around the league.

If EJ hadn't shown the promise that he did as camp progressed, as evidenced by most reports and his teammates recent comments, I believe Whaley would have shown him the door.

Edited by LBSeeBallLBGetBall

If you're Whaley and much of your reputation rides on Manuel, it makes perfect sense to trade the one guy standing in his way. I recognize the homer crowd won't admit/understand the team is political behind the scenes, but Whaley's defining move was taking Manuel. And that player was buried on the draft chart when Taylor and Cassel were acquired, neither of whom seemed like Whaley decisions. I say this because Whaley was talking up Manuel during HC interviews in January and felt he just needed more coaching. Clearly the new HC (not hired by Whaley) and his staff disagreed.

It is a puzzling move with so little certainty at QB, particularly 2 weeks into the season, to trade your most experienced QB. That is, unless there are other motives at play. I just find it funny that so many moves this off-season seemed Rex drive like McCoy, Harvin, Felton, and Clay. Now, it seems Whaley is trying to show his authority when the game-day roster doesn't meet with his approval and which is the HC's domain.

BV; According to Mr. Disney You might be the mirror on the wall in Whaley's office