Bucky: Trading Cassel doesn’t look good right now

Is Bucky right?  

196 members have voted

1. 1. What is real issue

• Whaley is arrogant
    • Whaley is insecure
    • Bucky is self delusional , insecure and arrogant writer who just wants clicks

Cassel is AWFUL. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see articles like these. Cassel has been basically awful his whole career. He's a mediocre clipboard holder who looked good twice in his career. Once, almost a decade ago replacing Brady for a season, in a system that Belicheck can make ANYONE look good in....as proved by the failure of ALL former Pats QBs: Hoyer, Gradkowski, Mallett. Then he has one solid year for KC using the Alex Smith / Trent Edwards check down playbook. For the last 5 years Matt Cassel has been hot garbage and the Bills straight up robbed Dallas by getting ANYTHING for him. When he starts and fails in Dallas hopefully this will end these stupid, Whaley "jumped the gun" articles once and for all. Cassel has been in the league a decade and had two good years, but hasn't had a good one since 2010. He vomited a team into the playoffs once and was promptly blown out, never to return again. Over the last five years he has a rating that would place him in the bottom 5 of the league. Getting rid of this turd and getting something for him, may be Whaley best move of the year (if Tyrod doesn't pan out).

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cassel is AWFUL. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills when I see articles like these. Cassel has been basically awful his whole career. He's a mediocre clipboard holder who looked good twice in his career. Once, almost a decade ago replacing Brady for a season, in a system that Belicheck can make ANYONE look good in....as proved by the failure of ALL former Pats QBs: Hoyer, Gradkowski, Mallett. Then he has one solid year for KC using the Alex Smith / Trent Edwards check down playbook. For the last 5 years Matt Cassel has been hot garbage and the Bills straight up robbed Dallas by getting ANYTHING for him. When he starts and fails in Dallas hopefully this will end these stupid, Whaley "jumped the gun" articles once and for all. Cassel has been in the league a decade and had two good years, but hasn't had a good one since 2010. He vomited a team into the playoffs once and was promptly blown out, never to return again. Over the last five years he has a rating that would place him in the bottom 5 of the league. Getting rid of this turd and getting something for him, may be Whaley best move of the year (if Tyrod doesn't pan out).

so once again, how do you reconcile whaley signing cassel twice and being a good gm while having that opinion of cassel?

I think there should be another poll option: "whaley is not a good (or at least great) gm".

The issue is bigger than just Matt Cassel and what armchair types think of him. It's about a coaching staff that identified him as the backup who was traded for nothing to help them this year. And how that transaction puts in the guy that same coaching staff said was the 3rd stringer.

Player personnel is a nuanced subject owing to its inherent shared responsibility between front office and coaching staff. The issue is whether the trading of Cassel was conducted to permit Manuel to dress, and in case of injury, play. That leads directly to the GM who needs his most noteworthy draft pick on the field to save face. If Manuel doesn't play well Whaley should be held accountable.

HAHA...great post!

Yes, Matt is going to be the starter for the Cowboys come next Sunday...but lets not forget even the Cowboys thought Weeden was a better option than Cassell as backup and wanted no part of him...else they would have picked him up on waivers.

Cassel was not subject to waivers being a Vet. They would have to had made an offer and Cassel would need to have accepted; he supposedly had several backup offers but choose Buffalo since their were incentives in contract and his wife was pregnant.

so once again, how do you reconcile whaley signing cassel twice and being a good gm while having that opinion of cassel?

I think there should be another poll option: "whaley is not a good (or at least great) gm".

I think there's a disconnect between the staff and the GM. Too many conflicting moves.

Cassel was not subject to waivers being a Vet. They would have to had made an offer and Cassel would need to have accepted; he supposedly had several backup offers but choose Buffalo since their were incentives in contract and his wife was pregnant.

That's right. Good point.

It's sad and pathetic to see a professional writer getting paid to pine away for a washed-up, never been, loser QB like Cassel. Buffalo deserves much better. The topper of his article was Gleason's criticisms of Doug Whaley, the man who is in the process of turning this completely lost franchise around from a 20 year tailspin. Someone needs to tell Bucky that GMs have this little thing called a salary cap and that means you can't keep everybody you want and tough decisions need to be made when you have the talent on the roster that the Bills do. I am going to greatly enjoy all of the crow that is going to be eaten by loser types like Gleason this Sunday when EJ Manuel shuts up the haters and doubters.

The issue is whether the trading of Cassel was conducted to permit Manuel to dress, and in case of injury, play. That leads directly to the GM who needs his most noteworthy draft pick on the field to save face. If Manuel doesn't play well Whaley should be held accountable.

Huh?

Buddy Nix drafted EJ Manuel. Buddy Nix stepped down after the draft of Manuel. Does Whaley need to be held responsible for Robert Woods play? Maybe Whaley should trade Harvin so that Woods sees more snaps.

The issue is bigger than just Matt Cassel and what armchair types think of him. It's about a coaching staff that identified him as the backup who was traded for nothing to help them this year. And how that transaction puts in the guy that same coaching staff said was the 3rd stringer.

Player personnel is a nuanced subject owing to its inherent shared responsibility between front office and coaching staff. The issue is whether the trading of Cassel was conducted to permit Manuel to dress, and in case of injury, play. That leads directly to the GM who needs his most noteworthy draft pick on the field to save face. If Manuel doesn't play well Whaley should be held accountable.

Admittedly I don't know if EJ will play well. I imagine that anyone the Bills start under center this week will look awful vs the Bengals in the Bills current offense. But surely if Cassel looks like, well Cassel, down in Dallas this week the constant refrain of "Whaley screwed up ditching him" should die down. Cassel is awful as a starting QB, the past 5 years provide concrete proof of that. That doesn't mean there weren't reasons they wanted him around or were mistaken to bring him back at a reduced salary (veteran leadership in the meeting rooms was often mentioned). If Manuel doesn't play well, Whaley is accountable, but my point, which I think Cassel will make for me Sunday, is that Cassel would be an even worse option come Sunday. I think a ton of people are underestimating Manuel. From what I've seen the past two years and this preseason I'd take him over half the backup QBs in the league. Guess we'll find out more Sunday, but for now I just can't condemn a GM who kept an above average backup QB as his backup QB. EJ is 6-8 as a starter....is only in his third year in the league. Has a career rating of 78.5 which over the past two years is better than Cassel's and is 10 years younger. We are comparing a young guy who could get better to an old guy who will only get worse. Sunday Cassel will show everyone that he not only has no future, he is worthless in the present.

Huh?

Buddy Nix drafted EJ Manuel. Buddy Nix stepped down after the draft of Manuel. Does Whaley need to be held responsible for Robert Woods play? Maybe Whaley should trade Harvin so that Woods sees more snaps.

To be fair, Whaley was the one scouting QBs that year and walked away from EJ's workout in the wind and rain at Tallahassee in March blown away. He was also the guy who gave anonymous negative comments to the press about Barkley's workout at SC (he was the Bills guy at the workout, so it wasn't difficult to figure out). EJ was Whaley's guy all the way. That's not a criticism of Whaley, btw. He wanted someone with a big arm, and EJ certainly had (and has) that.

Edited by dave mcbride

What sort of anti bills nonsense are you on today ?

Just say hater. It's easier and shorter to spell.

Huh?

Do you think, with Whaley waiting in the wings, that he would agree to let the guy about to retire pick a QB for him (EDIT: if he wasn't on-board with the pick)? And, IIRC, the Manuel pick was made after Buffalo traded out of the 8th pick. When precisely did Buddy Nix ever make a trade out of a draft slot? Nix was well-known for (EDIT:not) trading down and choosing to let the draft come to him. To that point, from 2010-2012 he didn't once trade down despite being in a major rebuild.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26280/buffalo-gm-unlikely-to-shop-no-3-pick

Now attack the article because Tim Graham wrote it.

Edited by BillsVet

To be fair, Whaley was the one scouting QBs that year and walked away from EJ's workout in the wind and rain at Tallahassee in March blown away. He was also the guy who gave anonymous negative comments to the press about Barkley's workout at SC. EJ was Whaley's guy all the way. That's not a criticism of Whaley, btw. He wanted someone with a big arm, and EJ certainly had (and has) that.

I don't debate that but at the end of the day it was Nix decision to draft him based on Whaley's recommendation. His name as a GM isn't attached to him so it's not "his" guy.

Just say hater. It's easier and shorter to spell.

Do you think, with Whaley waiting in the wings, that he would agree to let the guy about to retire pick a QB for him (EDIT: if he wasn't on-board with the pick)? And, IIRC, the Manuel pick was made after Buffalo traded out of the 8th pick. When precisely did Buddy Nix ever make a trade out of a draft slot? Nix was well-known for trading down and choosing to let the draft come to him. To that point, from 2010-2012 he didn't once trade down despite being in a major rebuild.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/26280/buffalo-gm-unlikely-to-shop-no-3-pick

Now attack the article because Tim Graham wrote it.

Ahh, so it's some sort of conspiracy? The Bills kept Buddy Nix on the staff until after the draft so that if EJ Manual didn't work out Whaley could save face. If it was Whaley's decision why keep on Nix? What did he add to the situation?

Ahh, so it's some sort of conspiracy? The Bills kept Buddy Nix on the staff until after the draft so that if EJ Manual didn't work out Whaley could save face. If it was Whaley's decision why keep on Nix? What did he add to the situation?

No conspiracy. But why would Whaley seek to get Manuel on the field if he wasn't at least partially responsible for the pick?

And why would Whaley make this statement on the Manuel pick if it was wholly on someone else's shoulders:

"You guys can assign blame wherever you want, but when we're in draft meetings it is a consensus recommendation for our whole organization of where this guy's valued and where we should pick him in the draft."

http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2014/12/buffalo_bills_gm_doug_whaley_on_ej_manuel_pick_assign_blame_wherever_you_want.html

You can believe whatever you want to support your narrative. Whaley had significant input into the pick and when it didn't go his way under a new staff, angled everything to get his guy at least dressed.

You can believe whatever you want to support your narrative. Whaley had significant input into the pick and when it didn't go his way under a new staff, angled everything to get his guy at least dressed.

Same goes for you. You can believe whatever you want to support your narrative. If he had significant input into the Manuel pick then he also had significant input into the Alonso pick who he had no problem trading away. Or did the "de facto" GM Whaley, in your narrative, only have input into the Manuel pick and thats the only pick he cared about?

Cassel sucks. His absence from the roster is not a loss, and his presence on the team would not help.

So then why are we talking about the guy?

I don't read the News but I can tell you they hate Bucky Gleason at the Sabres boards.

:lol: