"The same old Bills."

I hear this refrain a lot, not just on this board but from friends, family, and fellow Bills' fanatics. The moment something goes wrong on Sunday, regardless of the amount of time left in the game or the score, there's an outcry along the lines of, "here we go again." It's usually followed up with something about how the Bills are destined to lose because "it's been the same thing for 15 years." The wording might change week to week, but the sentiment remains consistent. The funny thing is, despite the history, it's just not true. From ownership, to coaching, to scheme, to players, to support staff, this Bills team from top to bottom is anything but the "same old Bills." In fact, the only constant in the 15+ years of misery are the fans. Us. We're the only ones who are the same.

There's no question we have the right to be cynical as a fan base considering how many times the rug has been pulled out from under us. There's also no question that what transpired in seasons past has zero bearing on what happens in the current season. The NFL itself changes week-to-week, yet there is this perception out there that the Buffalo Bills are immune to change. No matter what happens, there are a number of fans out there that believe the Bills are destined to lose in heartbreaking fashion just because of the logo on their helmets. I've shared this belief many, many, MANY times myself over the years so I'm talking about myself as much as I am others. This is often labeled as "just being realistic" when, in reality, it's pure fantasy to believe the past has any bearing on the present, especially in light of the near complete overhaul the franchise has gone through in just the past 12 months.

This isn't a plea to be less cynical or critical of the team. There's always going to be things to debate, things to discuss, things to argue over between fans. Whether it's coaching hires, QB play, or front office moves. Criticism is valid and often times healthy, not to mention a good way to pass the time at work on this board. This also isn't a plea for Bills' fans to just happily accept the status of the team blindly, fans have every right to voice their opinions on the state of the team either positively or negatively. All this is is a plea for is sanity on game days.

There's plenty of evidence out there, both scientific and metaphysical, that one of the most powerful forces in the universe is our shared consciousness. In many ways we shape our own realities by choosing what to believe and what not to believe. This collective consciousness can be a powerful tool for change as easily as it can be a crippling destructive force. Continuing to reinforce the belief that this team is "the same old Bills", despite there being no truth to that statement, can soon become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Expecting failure often begets failure, particularly if its a shared belief within a large group of people.

Plenty out there will dismiss the above as hooey, and that's okay. I'm not trying to censor any opinions, positive or negative. All I'm suggesting is that in reality, these are not the same old Bills. There's nothing the same about them... but the fans. So, if we're really serious about getting over the hump and ending the misery we all share we have to start doing some of the work ourselves. Being negative is a choice, and it's the easiest choice one can make because it's safe. It's a way to mitigate disappointment. Being positive is much more difficult, especially when it flies in the face of a lot of the rhetoric from our very own fan base. That's not to say that "negative" fans are worse fans (they're not) or positive fans are better fans (they're not), it's just about the mindset of the individual.

Everyone gets to choose how to approach Sundays as a fan, either with incredible dread and the expectations of failure because "it's the same old Bills"; or with a sense of hope and the realization that in the NFL nothing is guaranteed. Not even losing.

/waxing poetic GO BILLS!

Good post Greggy. I get what you're saying. But this fan base isn't the only one with that kind of a hangover.

I hear it a lot from JETS fans. "Same old dog-azzed Jets," it happens every year when they have a disappointing loss. When it happens this year it will be especially enjoyable.

Are you channeling OC?

Yeah, I thought about commenting something like, "I'm not going to read all of that, but..." :lol:

Good post Greggy. I get what you're saying. But this fan base isn't the only one with that kind of a hangover.

I hear it a lot from JETS fans. "Same old dog-azzed Jets," it happens every year when they have a disappointing loss. When it happens this year it will be especially enjoyable.

Oh, it's absolutely not exclusive to Buffalo. Didn't mean to imply that. The only thing that's specific to Buffalo is the fact, at least this year and the next couple, that we can't fall back on the old chestnut that the team is the same.

#DEEPTHOUGHTSJACKHANDY

:lol: I wish I were proficient enough in photoshop, then I would have put this in the background of the OP:

Deep-Thoughts-Hulu.jpg

I find it rather annoying, especially when made by people who don't follow the Bills or football. "Oh they lost again? You thought they would win?" :censored:

Me too. Happens A LOT, especially with my family.

Now and then the Bills find a way to beat teams that suck just a little more than we do. Happened Sunday in Nashville. They were the same old bills, absolutely no offense and a penalty-stinking team. It took 3 seconds for the first flag to get thrown and as usual an unforced error. This team is simply undisciplined which is another way of saying poorly coached.

That we have to pay to watch a team with one viable offensive lineman (Incognito) is insulting. These guys couldn't block a decent college defense.

When we play teams that are better like NE we get hammered (home or away).

When we play teams with less talent but are better coached like NYG we get hammered. And that was a home game.

We beat a Colts team that cannot win outside of their division. We beat Miami who is in complete disarray.

And we beat Tennessee whose rookie QB completely schooled our 5 year vet on how to play QB.

Playoffs for this squad are a pipe dream.

Now and then the Bills find a way to beat teams that suck just a little more than we do. Happened Sunday in Nashville. They were the same old bills, absolutely no offense and a penalty-stinking team. It took 3 seconds for the first flag to get thrown and as usual an unforced error. This team is simply undisciplined which is another way of saying poorly coached.

That we have to pay to watch a team with one viable offensive lineman (Incognito) is insulting. These guys couldn't block a decent college defense.

When we play teams that are better like NE we get hammered (home or away).

When we play teams with less talent but are better coached like NYG we get hammered. And that was a home game.

We beat a Colts team that cannot win outside of their division. We beat Miami who is in complete disarray.

And we beat Tennessee whose rookie QB completely schooled our 5 year vet on how to play QB.

Playoffs for this squad are a pipe dream.

Well don't you have a cheery little inner self! Enjoying life much?

we can stop being cynical when we make the playoffs and that will only buy us a little slack because i remember being cynical even when we were in the playoffs every year but not winning the division or not having homefield in the playoffs or winning the Super Bowl. so i guess the answer is we will get respect once we win the Super Bowl. and then that only buys us 1 year of respect because it's a what have you done for me lately type of league :lol:

It's fine after a bad loss, but really annoying when it's still the 1st quarter.

I just hate the negativity when there's still plenty of room for optimism. At that point, you're just choosing to be negative and I don't want to be around you.

Many a Bills "fan" or "realist" seem to be very comfortable in a cynical, losing mentality. It's been home base for 15 years.

Week 5, Bills fans should know best, is not an indication of the rest of the season to come. I choose glass half full.

It's fine after a bad loss, but really annoying when it's still the 1st quarter.

I just hate the negativity when there's still plenty of room for optimism. At that point, you're just choosing to be negative and I don't want to be around you.

It's justified.

I started watching the bills at the age of 7 in 1980.

Since that time, they've had 14 winning seasons and 21 losing seasons. That's a lot of losing, and a SUSTAINED record of doing so. Until the team proves otherwise, it is what it is, and they are what they are. And what they are is a lot closer to what they displayed this past week and against the Giants than against Miami.

Note: edited for bad counting.

Edited by joesixpack

What strikes me is how many people can't seem to enjoy the moment as a fan. It seems like so many are always looking ahead and projecting. I get people being pissed off after a bad performance, but get over it and enjoy the win and still being in contention. Stop looking at it and seeing only doom and gloom because you don't THINK the winning is sustainable or we aren't the 85 Bears.

What strikes me is how many people can't seem to enjoy the moment as a fan. It seems like so many are always looking ahead and projecting. I get people being pissed off after a bad performance, but get over it and enjoy the win and still being in contention. Stop looking at it and seeing only doom and gloom because you don't THINK the winning is sustainable or we aren't the 85 Bears.

Nope. We are what we are without our best WR and top 2 RBs. Get used to it.

See ya in 2016.