Karlos Williams in Concussion Protocol Per Doug Whaley

you are comparing stats that you can't accurately compare. Full season 16 game stats vs 4 game sample, with 2 different opponents through those 4 games.

Revisionist history on this D from last year. Shredded beginning of year by Cutler, Brady, Rivers. Had really good games and others not so much. Stats looked great at the end. Failed at some critical times.

OK so forget last years stats, and this years expectations.

Just go with this years team being 29th in the league against the pass.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what were last year's stats after 4 games? And after they played Brady for the 1st time in week 6? This may help you with your angst.

Ok and ?

I see you've just looked at total yards. They've faced an average of 49 pass attempts a game. That's highest in the league. They are also the 4th best YPA against and 5th best in completion percentage against. Average QB rating against the Bills is 80.6 which is 6th in the league.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Or look at the stats that are better indicators, since yards allowed can be skewed by so many factors...

14th in points/game allowed

15th in yards/play allowed

9th lowest 3rd down conversion rate allowed

For reference, by yardage, the Chicago Bears have the #7 ranked defense in the NFL. The Bears. The team that's allowing over 31 points/game. Close behind them is the #9 ranked defense in the NFL: the...Tampa Bay Buccaneers? They're allowing over 29 points/game.

Let the yardage rankings sort themselves out over time. They don't tell much at this point.

Ok and ?

I see you've just looked at total yards. They've faced an average of 49 pass attempts a game. That's highest in the league. They are also the 4th best team in YPA and 5th best in the league in completion percentage. Average QB rating against the Bills is 80.6 which is 6th in the league.

These are the only numbers that matter in pass defense stats, especially the QB rating. Anyone citing passing yards only, has no idea of context. People who do that are usually people who don't watch the games.

GO BILLS!!!

what were last year's stats after 4 games? And after they played Brady for the 1st time in week 6? This may help you with your angst.

No, it doesn't help!

Allow me to reiterate. This years Buffalo Bills defense is currently ranked 22nd in total defense, 29th in downs-29th in passing defense-28th in receiving defense, and 19th in sacks. The defensive game plan against the Patriots this year was just plain bad in my view. Dropping into coverage, and allowing a franchise worst 466 yards passing didn't work.

If you guys are content with the defense that's fine, revel in the unsatisfactory performance so far.

Doesn't change the fact that if he was on the Bills that play wouldn't have happened so he wouldn't necessarily be injured...

I'll say it again. Why the Bills went into the season with only 3 RBs on the active roster when their #1 was not healthy is a mystery. They're fortunate that Bryce is still available if they need him.

Watchu mean? "Not Healthy" is certainly debatable when he produce 200 yards from scrimmage in his first two games....

Anyway, as we've seen plenty of times you can pick up a decent running back off of the street and get production. They just tend to be guys with high mileage or that only do one or two things well.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

No, it doesn't help!

Allow me to reiterate. This years Buffalo Bills defense is currently ranked 22nd in total defense, 29th in downs-29th in passing defense-28th in receiving defense, and 19th in sacks. The defensive game plan against the Patriots this year was just plain bad in my view. Dropping into coverage, and allowing a franchise worst 466 yards passing didn't work.

If you guys are content with the defense that's fine, revel in the unsatisfactory performance so far.

no need to reiterate. I know what you are saying, but you are looking at numbers that don't represent what you think they do and comparing things that are not able to be accurately compared to derive real meaning. Not sure we will ever be on the same page so I will leave it at that.

no need to reiterate. I know what you are saying, but you are looking at numbers that don't represent what you think they do and comparing things that are not able to be accurately compared to derive real meaning. Not sure we will ever be on the same page so I will leave it at that.

Nice! You make it sound like I don't know what I'm looking at, or talking about. The stats tell me this isn't a very good defense at this point. The bad tackling, and with so many penalties also tells me they aren't a very disciplined unit either!

But, since you, and others seem to see things differently. I'm just wasting my time in this discussion.

He's been injured the past 4 season, including being put on IR in 2 of them, and he was injured in training camp. I'd say the probability of FJ being injured if he was here would be very high. Have we forgotten last season when CJ went down and FJ was going to step in and carry the load only to injure his groin. The Bills then had to lean heavily on Bobbie, which wasn't pretty.

I'm not guessing at the probability. All I said is it doesn't necessarily mean he'd be injured. Perhaps he would, perhaps he wouldn't.

Watchu mean? "Not Healthy" is certainly debatable when he produce 200 yards from scrimmage in his first two games....

Anyway, as we've seen plenty of times you can pick up a decent running back off of the street and get production. They just tend to be guys with high mileage or that only do one or two things well.

I mean he injured his hammy in training camp and didn't play a snap the rest of the way until the regular season at which point it was still questionable whether he'd even play the first game. A gimpy hamstring tends to be a lingering injury. Because of this the Bills went into the opener with an injured starter, a rookie who was pretty impressive and a special teams guy who you don't want to give the rock to very often.

This isn't retrospect, I said it before the opener. I didn't understood why they went into the season with only 3 backs on the roster given Shaddy's injury.

I'm not guessing at the probability. All I said is it doesn't necessarily mean he'd be injured. Perhaps he would, perhaps he wouldn't.

I mean he injured his hammy in training camp and didn't play a snap the rest of the way until the regular season at which point it was still questionable whether he'd even play the first game. A gimpy hamstring tends to be a lingering injury. Because of this the Bills went into the opener with an injured starter, a rookie who was pretty impressive and a special teams guy who you don't want to give the rock to very often.

This isn't retrospect, I said it before the opener. I didn't understood why they went into the season with only 3 backs on the roster given Shaddy's injury.

It's because of the last part I mentioned. You can grab guys off of the street with little drop off from what you'd keep third or fourth in line.

• 2 weeks later...