Eli Manning - 1.79 seconds to each pass attempt

YoloinOhio

That is all well and good....but Rex needs to better prepare his defense for that.......

outside a short pass that turned into a big gainer because of a broken tackle (and maybe some lack of swarming to the ball carrier - curious to see a replay but didnt recall urgency), we only allowed 150 passing yards

thats a pretty effective pass defense. see the play where bradham jammed the receiver then went downhill to the running back as a great example of things going right.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

outside a short pass that turned into a big gainer because of a broken tackle (and maybe some lack of swarming to the ball carrier - curious to see a replay but didnt recall urgency), we only allowed 150 passing yards

thats a pretty effective pass defense.

Yup.

After the 2nd TD, the drive that was allowed to continue because of bonehead penalties, the Bills defense forced five 3 and outs and got the ball back for the offense 7 times. The pass defense was very good through that stretch.

The general concept behind the blitz is for a rusher to get through the line unblocked. The quick release neutralizes the blitz. With the blitz neutralized, the offense has a lot more flexibility.

I didn't see the Giants executing a crisp offense in the second half. They were shut out but for a single run where 3 Bills defenders simply couldn't tackle a guy right in front of them. The Giants O was awful to watch. They punted on there first 4 possessions in that half, then scored the aforementioned TD, then threw an int on their last possession. They punted 8 times in this game. Manning completed 57% of his passes for 6 YPA.

Manning's "quick release" was a nonfactor. Not worth mentioning.

thats a pretty effective pass defense. see the play where bradham jammed the receiver then went downhill to the running back as a great example of things going right.

Saint....yes they cleaned it up in the second half

But

We got gashed in the run game all damn day

I know that a lot of boo birds are out of the wood work today but I still believe Rex Ryan was a good hire.......and that this defense will adjust to what teams are doing. I think one of the biggest problems we have right now is lack of quality safety depth.......because in order to match up with teams using the short passing game you need guys on the field who can cover........as in more safeties BUT you sacrifice in the run stop by taking linebackers off the field.....if you have big physical safeties who can cover and tackle then you can beat the offense that is being played against us

We are hurting at safety

Manning's "quick release" was a nonfactor. Not worth mentioning.

yea, if worth mentioning, its that the bills defense, despite not getting the rush stats, heavily effected the giants game plan (and the scheme they ran wasnt particularly effective).

The "Blue Print" hasn't so much neutralized the pass rush, as much as it has exposed a mediocre LB corp and secondary. As other posters have pointed out, forcing the QB to pass in less than 2 seconds is actually pressure of a type. If the linebackers and secondary were better, the QBs would not be able to find an open receivers as easily.

I look at the quick pass like a MLB pitcher who features a slide step delivery to counter base stealers. It's effective with the right personnel.

The key is, how do defenses adapt to the quick throw? Rex once flustered Fitz by jamming receivers at LOS and disrupting their timing, which I would hope his Bills defense starts doing. It forced Fitz to throw down the sideline, something he was poor at because he lacked the accuracy to hit on routes beyond about 10 yards.

Eli may not be Brady, but most decent QBs with a designed read throwing short who doesn't encounter some sort of disruption in pass coverage is going to be successful.

But

I know that a lot of boo birds are out of the wood work today but I still believe Rex Ryan was a good hire.......and that this defense will adjust to what teams are doing. I think one of the biggest problems we have right now is lack of quality safety depth.......because in order to match up with teams using the short passing game you need guys on the field who can cover........as in more safeties BUT you sacrifice in the run stop by taking linebackers off the field.....if you have big physical safeties who can cover and tackle then you can beat the offense that is being played against us

We are hurting at safety

yea, the run game was a struggle. and that may well be a very valid reason. ill be curious to see how they adjust as the season goes, but generally speaking our D playing like that should lead to more wins than losses (if we dont give up that homerun play).

Eli may not be Brady, but most decent QBs with a designed read throwing short who doesn't encounter some sort of disruption in pass coverage is going to be successful.

its also mixing coverages and being unpredictable. i used the example up thread of bradham jamming the WR and passing him to gilmore while he crashed to the running back - was a very successful example, but then you also have to run stuff LBs coming underneath slants, etc...

But

We are hurting at safety

They gave up less than 95 yards rushing

Yes Manning got rid of the ball quick, but he wasn't hit either or pressured most of the game. What he did was release it quickly. There were not hands in his face or tipped balls either. He wasn't throwing the ball in 1.79 seconds because he was under pressure and that is the point.....

The one sack was at the line of scrimmage.

The Bills defense certainly wasn't "gashed" in the run. Had a hand full of semi long runs but that was it. They weren't running at will.

What they did not do was get down & distance in their favor enough. They didn't force 2nd or 3rd & long often enough to force Eli to hold the ball & give the defense time to get to him. The few times they did dictate it Eli would throw short. If tackles had been made...

What they did not do was get down & distance in their favor enough. They didn't force 2nd or 3rd & long often enough to force Eli to hold the ball & give the defense time to get to him. The few times they did dictate it Eli would throw short. If tackles had been made...

Even then, looking back at the drives, they weren't doing much with it. The defense still forced punts.

Even then, looking back at the drives, they weren't doing much with it. The defense still forced punts.

yup. If not for an implosion on defense and some ineffective play calling/execution coupled with penalties & non-calls it's a different ballgame.

IMO the team was out coached and out smarted (on the field) yesterday.

great points all around.. but we need to keep what the Giants did in context of the game.. their early success running moved the chains and put us on our heels.. the worst they accomplished in the first three quarters was keeping our O in terrible field position that they couldn't punch their way out of - for whatever reason. the Giants did just enough better than us in all three facets of the game to win. our mental mistakes in all three cost us considerably. this is all on the HC's ability to insist his units are ready to play. there's no point discussing the discipline issues we have -that's part of having Rex as your HC - but he has to gather the staff and reasses how they're preparing.

for instance.. I'm a big fan of Roman, but sometimes bringing guys in cold off the bench to help execute a play as important as that 4th and goal, is asking for a breakdown. looking schematically sound on the board means diddly if it involves guys who don't have their heads in the game.. that's a tough ask..

He executed the strategy, but, not well IMO. The Giants needed the Bills to implode and they did (again).

I agree that the Bills were primarily at fault for this loss.

The calls by the referres in all games are becoming too frequent and very arbitrary and capricious. Making a lot of calls doesn't mean that good judgment is being made. I thought the holding call on Urbik that nullified the TD was very marginal. However, I am very critical when there is a loss of control after the play is done, the Preston Brown penalty was foolish and damaging. When the Bills played the Pats Aaron Williams lost his composure after a penalty and continued on with his emotional rant on the sidelines. That's unacceptable.

The person who sets the tone for the team is the HC. He may believe that being a loud mouth braggert is a way of instilling confidence in his team but it's not. If your HC is not acting with maturity and composure then it is not surprising that his team acts in the same foolish and irresponsible way in the heat of the battle.

In other words we basically agree.