For all the Whaley doubters

I don't get this. I have never heard of a Whaley doubter, or anyone doubting that our no. 1 RB and no. 1 WR are important.

oh.. Check out my poll from last week. Lots of "they haven't done anything we don't need them." RBs are a dime a dozen. Etc etc. I said look beyond the stat sheet and at the all 22 please ... But no response. I had a feeling we would lose this game without them unless the defense pitched a near shutout but better to let them rest vs NFC. Edited by YoloinOhio

Didn't Whaley hire our coach (who sucked today) and sign Jerry Hughes (who is nearing a net loss in defensive yardage?)

Sammy is very good. He's also been hurt almost his whole career.

Oh, and he stripped this team of it's biggest lockerroom leader in the same season we hired an RB with a big ego, a WR almost on the same level of talent as Sammy but has been a total nutcase, and a defensive end who seems to think personal fouls count as sacks. All for another RB whose greatest contribution is playing ST on a terrible ST unit.

Edited by FireChan

oh.. Check out my poll from last week. Lots of "they haven't done anything we don't need them." RBs are a dime a dozen. Etc etc. I said look beyond the stat sheet and at the all 22 please ... But no response. I had a feeling we would lose this game without them unless the defense pitched a near shutout but better to let them rest vs NFC.

wow--really. I had no idea people were taking that view.

All you had to see was Hogan running in mud today to know what we were missing on the field.

This is what your team looks like without Watkins and Shady.

Yup. Sold me. We need these guys.

What would I give credit to Whaley for going all-in on a WR in a WR heavy draft and trading for and giving a substantial raise and guaranteed money to a RB that will be in decline throughout the entirety of the contract

Concerns about shady, at least I had is that he would start to break down and we are seeing it already not a 1/4 into the season. Going all on a WR doesn't seem to be working out both from a health and productivity standpoint either.

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

I don't get this. I have never heard of a Whaley doubter, or anyone doubting that our no. 1 RB and no. 1 WR are important.

There is the "way overpaid for Sammy" crowd and "shouldn't have traded kiko for a measly running back" crowd.

Today the offense was horrid and the first two reasons that come to mind are 14 and 25.

my favorite Whaley moment was him lecturing the media a couple weeks ago on how "we now see that in today's NFL a QB needs to stand on the sideline and hone his craft for years...etc, etc..." when referring to Taylor.

This is the same guy who was ok with throwing out a project rookie out there with no safety net just two years ago.

He is full of crap and he just makes up stories after the fact to justify whatever his last move was.

"Sammy was the number one player on our board"

If that's true, he should be fired for that alone.

What a clown this guy is.

Edited by jester43

What would I give credit to Whaley for going all-in on a WR in a WR heavy draft and trading for and giving a substantial raise and guaranteed money to a RB that will be in decline throughout the entirety of the contract

Concerns about shady, at least I had is that he would start to break down and we are seeing it already not a 1/4 into the season. Going all on a WR doesn't seem to be working out both from a health and productivity standpoint either.

I am not sure why Whaley is a sacred cow. People have kneejerk reactions like "Rex Ryan is the greatest defensive mind of his generation" or "Sammy Watkins is a once in a generation talent" or "Greg Roman is the top OC in the game". And then they credit Whaley for landing such unbelievable talents. When it turns out they really are a head coach that got spanked by the Bills twice last year, and OC that fans couldn't wait to see leave his last team, and a WR who can't stay on the field, somehow that is not Whaley's responsibility. If they miss the playoffs this year, it really is hard to imagine Whaley is ever going to build a super bowl winner.

But so many fans are so afraid of "it could be worse" that they fear making steps to move forward.

Edited by PlayoffsPlease

I'm sorry, but what has McCoy done to dictate any of the defenses that we've seen? And how was today different?

Sure, Sammy may get the attention of their #1 CB, but isn't Woods a 2nd round pick? Don't we have as good of depth at WR as any team out there? Has Sammy done a fraction of what he did last year?

I just don't see how their absence was the difference maker today

my favorite Whaley moment was him lecturing the media a couple weeks ago on how "we now see that in today's NFL a QB needs to stand on the sideline and hone his craft for years...etc, etc..." when referring to Taylor.

This is the same guy who was ok with throwing out a project rookie out there with no safety net just two years ago.

He is full of crap and he just makes up stories after the fact to justify whatever his last move was.

"Sammy was the number one player on our board"

If that's true, he should be fired for that alone.

What a clown this guy is.

No overreaction here whatsoever. Nope, none at all.

This same thought crossed my mind a lot last year but never did express it. You are not the only one.

Maybe. Personally though, I have always taken anything and everything stated through the press with a big grain of salt. People are going to say what they want you to hear, and actions speak louder than words.

Couldn't agree more. With backs you're lucky to get 5 years out of them before they start to break down. It's McCoy's seventh season in the league. That's old for a running back these days. That's why people don't trade for running backs. I posted the same sentiment on today's game day post, and was accused of being an "armchair doctor" but every football fan knows this about running backs. Sure we all know Shady is talented, and we've seen glimpses this year. However, health becomes a concern with mileage like McCoy has. If he can't play, it doesn't matter how explosive he is. As a side note, we can talk about Shady and Sammy all day but I'm most disappointed in our defense. Rex Is a defensive coach and we all thought we'd be an elite defense this year. It looks like we may have been better last year. Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

The dynamic among Whaley, Brandon, Ryan and ownership is odd. I am sure that Ryan has significant input in personnel matters, and I assume that he pushed hard for Clay and Harvin, plus some of his former coaching colleagues. I have no idea how much power or say Whaley really has, other than maybe with regard to the draft. Not sure about Whaley's decision making overall. The spending spree in the offseason and trading up for Watkins may have been misguided, although I think the most recent draft may help Whaley, with Darby and Williams playing very well, unless the team misses the playoffs again. In that case, I could see the Bills hiring a more senior level executive above Whaley or Whaley being in a bit of trouble.