Credit where credit is due (Whaley)

finn

They're just going to play the quick release, short throw underneath, slant game that Brady played and Eli is going to play Sunday, until we can stop it. Once we show we can make teams pay for throwing short all the time, the Bills defense will be truly feared by every team in the league.

No team is remotely close to the Patriots in terms of the personnel needed to effectively execute that game plan as the Pats did. I hope they try to dink and dunk on us. Rex won't let that crap happen again.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So who in the front office wants him gone specifically?

Are you implying Russ wants the GM job? I think nothing is further form the true. RB wants nothing to do with that job, knew the last time he wasn't qualified so did the job on a manage by committee basis and took all the blame when things went wrong, even though others were really making the football decisions.

I don't think he wants the GM job, but he may want to be THE guy at One Bills Drive. Right now Whaley is his equal. A new GM may not hold the same sway.

Somebody leaked the "rogue" thing to Whaley. And they had some sort of motive.

No team is remotely close to the Patriots in terms of the personnel needed to effectively execute that game plan as the Pats did. I hope they try to dink and dunk on us. Rex won't let that crap happen again.

I hope so, let's see on Sunday.

I think Whaley has done a really great job. The whole time. I don't know why people have been unhappy with him at any point in time. I realize he couldn't get a QB before Tyrod, but you can't get a QB just cause he's the best of a crappy bunch. You need to continue to build (which Whaley did) then find a QB you like (Tyrod). I legitimately think we have one of the most talented teams in the NFL. I think credit needs to be given to Buddy Nix. He began assembling a strong core for this team and got some key building blocks for us. You can't make an elite team immediately and for that I think buddy is short-changed

I agree that Nix deserves some credit for assembling a core, but Whaley is "showing us the baby" and so ultimately, he gets the credit. This is how I look at it, I don't grumble and complain whenever I hear the the name Buddy Nix any more...I don't sing his praises, but I don't blame him for our past futility. I can't, however, credit him with what is obviously the work of Whaley. Nix had nothing to do with Whaley's work this offseason. If we make the AFC Championship game, I'd be shocked if Whaley doesn't win Exec. of the Year honors.

I don't think he wants the GM job, but he may want to be THE guy at One Bills Drive. Right now Whaley is his equal. A new GM may not hold the same sway.

Somebody, or more than one somebody, did leak the rogue thing. But they were pissed that they weren't informed and started whining to a reporter. It doesn't at all mean they want Whaley gone.

Doug Whaley is proving to be Moby Dick.

I haven't been a big fan of Whaley, but I'm impressed by what he's done this past year. Some of the best-performing players on the roster were added this off-season. Our best wide receiver is Hardens

Can we call him "Percy Harvins," like the valet guys on Key and Peele? Liam Neesons!

Even the least known names, the ones that don't get the press, have been contributing. Look at Mulligan and Felton. Mulligan is out there whenever serious blocking is required and he's performing. Anyone, at this point, who's not a fan of Whaley is looking for perfection. Ain't gonna happen.

Somebody, or more than one somebody, did leak the rogue thing. But they were pissed that they weren't informed and started whining to a reporter. It doesn't at all mean they want Whaley gone.

Doug Whaley is proving to be Moby Dick.

Again, I hope so. I don't want him gone either. But I imagine his reputation is looking really good right now. Need to lock him up soon and not turn him off with the office politics. The very same thing that cost us Polian.

Whaley has assembled one hell of a staff and created and excellent mindset. Now that Marrone is gone (oops) i feel continuity and confidence. and thats before we talk players

whaley?

:thumbsup:

Again, I hope so. I don't want him gone either. But I imagine his reputation is looking really good right now. Need to lock him up soon and not turn him off with the office politics. The very same thing that cost us Polian.

Thats on El Pegul isnt it? not the noise makers.

Russ Brandon is the president of TWO professional sports franchises and reports directly to the Pegulas. There is no more power for him to obtain, and no reason not to believe him when he says he wants no say in personnel. I get the impression Russ and Doug are quite fond of each other.

The "rogue" thing was clearly a reaction by somebody who caught an earful from a sponsor (M&T) after Fred was let go.

It's time to dispense with the "some in the front office want Whaley gone" storyline. If Whaley doesn't want to be here, it's because he's sick of the notion put forth by some (like a number of posters around here) that he is only Rex's errand boy.

I haven't been a big fan of Whaley, but I'm impressed by what he's done this past year. Some of the best-performing players on the roster were added this off-season. Our best wide receiver is Harvins; the best cornerback is Darby; the best offensive lineman is Incognito; the best running back is Karlos Williams; our best tight end is Clay; and of course the best quarterback is Taylor.

All of them are not only the best at their position on the Bills; they rank among the best in the league.

That's pretty good shooting!

It would be a crime if he's not mentioned for Executive of the Year at season's end. Our players are getting kudos from around the league and winning awards--it's not like they're drafting themselves. At least the fan base can see what he's done since he's been here.

I know some people are being cautious, but it's looking like Whaley might be one of the best GMs in the league already in finding personnel.

Last night I was thinking about how we're going to resign all our players once Tyrod Taylor is due for an extension and I had trouble falling asleep. Harvin, Incognito, Preston Brown, Bradham, Gilmore, etc. All great players who need extensions. What great problems to have.

Yeah,...this is a good problem to have, but also a concern.... next year when we lose a bunch of these guys, we'll all be complaining that he shouldn't have given McCoy so much money...

Russ Brandon is the president of TWO professional sports franchises and reports directly to the Pegulas. There is no more power for him to obtain, and no reason not to believe him when he says he wants no say in personnel. I get the impression Russ and Doug are quite fond of each other.

The "rogue" thing was clearly a reaction by somebody who caught an earful from a sponsor (M&T) after Fred was let go.

It's time to dispense with the "some in the front office want Whaley gone" storyline. If Whaley doesn't want to be here, it's because he's sick of the notion put forth by some (like a number of posters around here) that he is only Rex's errand boy.

WTH?! Who wants Doug fired? For what reasons? This makes no sense. I seriously doubt this noise is coming from One Bills Drive and I highly doubt the Pegulas are giving it any sort of cred. It most likely some bored poster here with an agenda. I, too, was angry that Fred was released but have gotten over it. If he's still on the roster, Karlos doesn't break out like he has.

Edited by MyDogLuvsPB

Gilmore is better than Darby still. They just rarely throw his way because he is in guys back pockets all game long.

But to your point, yes, he is doing a superb job in my opinion.

Very strong start to his career, much stronger than Gilmores was. Gilmore was pantsed for 2 tds by Stephen Hill and the Sanchize. Not gonna make a call either way on whose better. Both look great now

He turned Kelvin Sheppard into Jerry F$&king Hughes and Kneeko Alonso into Shady.

I'm ok with the job he's done.

All of this. More more more !

Yes he is, but how do you know there's no power left to be had? Are you employed in the Bills organization?

Who would get an earful from a sponsor? Would it not be somebody involved with marketing? Like Russ Brandon, or a subordinate of Brandon?

Why is it time to dispense with that storyline after you provide some weak counter-arguments.

Gilmore was pantsed for 2 tds by Stephen Hill and the Sanchize.

Love that term -- rarely does a simple word provide such a perfect visualization of the point you're trying to get across.

WTH?! Who wants Doug fired? For what reasons? This makes no sense. I seriously doubt this noise is coming from One Bills Drive and I highly doubt the Pegulas are giving it any sort of cred. It most likely some bored poster here with an agenda. I, too, was angry that Fred was released but have gotten over it. If he's still on the roster, Karlos doesn't break out like he has.

Definitely bored, but no agenda.

Very strong start to his career, much stronger than Gilmores was. Gilmore was pantsed for 2 tds by Stephen Hill and the Sanchize. Not gonna make a call either way on whose better. Both look great now

Unfair comparison IMO. In Gilmore's first year we had abysmal defensive coaching and very little pass rush. We were terrible. Darby has Donnie Henderson (whom Gilmore didn't have as a rookie), Tim MacDonald, Dennis Thurman (who all were DBs in the NFL) plus Rex Ryan plus the Cold Front pass rushers. An entirely different scenario.

Love that term -- rarely does a simple word provide such a perfect visualization of the point you're trying to get across.

I believe the term is "de-pantsed" however.

Yes he is, but how do you know there's no power left to be had? Are you employed in the Bills organization?

Who would get an earful from a sponsor? Would it not be somebody involved with marketing? Like Russ Brandon, or a subordinate of Brandon?

Why is it time to dispense with that storyline after you provide some weak counter-arguments.

I believe your arguments of surreptitious back-stabbing are the weak ones. More power than president?

Any whining member of the marketing team could have leaked the "rogue" comment to Tim Graham.

The most important people involved -- the Pegulas, Rex, Russ -- have done nothing but praise Whaley.

Unfair comparison IMO. In Gilmore's first year we had abysmal defensive coaching and very little pass rush. We were terrible. Darby has Donnie Henderson (whom Gilmore didn't have as a rookie), Tim MacDonald, Dennis Thurman (who all were DBs in the NFL) plus Rex Ryan plus the Cold Front pass rushers. An entirely different scenario.

I believe the term is "de-pantsed" however.

See here (but admittedly it could be both).

Edited by eball