Official Mets lovefest thread

Rob's House

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Don't really have a dog in the fight but this was an unfortunate and unfair thing to happen to the mets.

I'm sure the rules will change this winter around breaking up a double play.

I also agree that video review has no place in baseball

I hate how it is considered a good "baseball play" to just take a guy out. How about changing the rules to "you can't take a guy's legs out"?

Pirates lost their star rookie Jung Ho Kang to a similar play this year. Broken leg/torn knee. It's just disgusting.

There is already a rule in place:

(6) If, in the judgment of the umpire, a base runner willfully
and deliberately interferes with a batted ball or a fielder
in the act of fielding a batted ball with the obvious intent
to break up a double play, the ball is dead. The umpire
shall call the runner out for interference and also call out
the batter-runner because of the action of his teammate.
In no event may bases be run or runs scored because of
such action by a runner.

This was not the "that's part of the game," takeout slide, which I'm totally fine with. His knees were PAST THE BAG when the slide began. That's the big difference here. Had he begun his slide PRIOR to reaching the bag, then it's just a regular takeout slide and we move on.

It has nothing at all to do with Tejada breaking his leg. Frankly, Tejada is more of an automatic out at the plate than any pitcher on the Mets, so I'm fine with Flores playing. I don't think Utley tried to hurt Tejada. But the fact that he didn't begin his slide until he was already on top of the bag, and the manner in which he took Tejada out (better tackling technique than the Bills have shown this season) is what made the play dirty.

It should have been an inning-ending double play with the run not counting. But the umpires didn't have the balls to make a controversial call in a playoff game that would have gone against the home team.

The Cubs/Pirates play, in which Kang was injured, was an old-school takeout slide with an unfortunate result. That slide began prior to the runner reaching the bag. It was aggressive, but it was legal.

Utley's slide was illegal. It's cute that MLB suspended a washed up bench player/cheerleader. But it was only done because it was too late to do the right thing.

"If, in the judgment of the umpire..."

In my judgement... Just like the umpire's... Utley was still within reach of the bag, so he wasn't taking him out. Now, I understand your judgement is different... Oh well.

And did I not say: "The rules suck balls." Anyway, I agree w/MLB... YET they wrongfully suspend him! WTF! All because they are kitties and want to keep peace the rest of the series.

Sports is going to hell in a handbasket and now Mommy & Daddy has finally reached MLB.

Back to the rules. Sorry your judgement is different from the umpire's judgement. Maybe the ump should going into mindreading. We all know he was taking him out, but he was within reach of the bag, the right call was made because he was reaching for that bag.

The wrong call was made on the suspension. Grow a set people, rules aren't the be all and end all in debates. Totally codified societies suck balls. Life is about gray areas. Don't suspend Utley and let things sort itself out...

Don't mean to start war Gug... I am cool, I didn't watch the game... Did the guy on first end up/scoring? LoL... Maybe that is your heartburn?

Like others have said... I don't have a dog in this fight...

You're not starting a war. If I went to war with every person who was wrong, there wouldn't be enough time in the day.

Yes, the guy on first ended up scoring. So instead of going into the top of the 8th up 2-1, then went into the top of the 8th down 5-2. It's not like this blown call had much of an effect on the outcome of the game. No biggie.

The rule apparently is on a blown call there that is overturned, the runner is awarded the base even if he didn't touch it.

Who on Earth came up with that one, and what is the supposed "rationale"?

I do not have a horse in this race at all as both the Mets and Dodgers are laughably inferior to the Cardinals, but geez that seems dumb.

I don't think the play was "dirty" so much. I think Utley was going to slide, realized he slightly misjudged the whereabouts on the SS so he had to adjust a bit and move outside. That 1-2 extra strides late on his slide start left him way high. It also left him waaaaaay away from the base. Too far IMO. I can buy the judgement call on whether the batter should also be out, but awarding Utley 2nd base is absurd.

I do not have a horse in this race at all as both the Mets and Dodgers are laughably inferior to the Cardinals, but geez that seems dumb.

I don't think the play was "dirty" so much. I think Utley was going to slide, realized he slightly misjudged the whereabouts on the SS so he had to adjust a bit and move outside. That 1-2 extra strides late on his slide start left him way high. It also left him waaaaaay away from the base. Too far IMO. I can buy the judgement call on whether the batter should also be out, but awarding Utley 2nd base is absurd.

I think the general thought is if the umpire didnt make the incorrect call, Utley could have in theory decided to go back and occupy second if he knew he was safe. He was called out so he went to the dugout.

Edited by May Day 10

I think the general thought is if the umpire didnt make the incorrect call, Utley could have in theory decided to go back and occupy second if he knew he was safe. He was called out so he went to the dugout.

Yep.

Yup, that's the theory, which is ridiculous because Tejada was lying between Utley and the bag with the ball in his hand. Had the ump ruled safe, Tejada could have easily tagged Utley out -- even with a broken leg. It's absurd to give a freebie to the baserunner at the expense of the fielder because the call was 'wrong'. That's why you live with the occasional 'wrong' call; which baseball managed to do just fine for 150 years until the retards in charge decided to implement replay.

I never thought I'd agree with Bucky Gleason on anything, but I 100% agree with his article last week that replay has to go in every sport.

I hated it when it first came up in the NFL, and it's made matters worse in every sport. All in the last week, we have the Seahawks fiasco, the Sabres ridiculous offisdes replay taking 6 minutes, and then this.

:lol::lol: Cubbies have other plans...

I see you are pulling the cart before the hamster again... Cards won't even sniff the Mets or (shudder) the Dodgers...

I never thought I'd agree with Bucky Gleason on anything, but I 100% agree with his article last week that replay has to go in every sport.

I hated it when it first came up in the NFL, and it's made matters worse in every sport. All in the last week, we have the Seahawks fiasco, the Sabres ridiculous offisdes replay taking 6 minutes, and then this.

100% agree. There have been more egregiously bad calls in football since replay than there ever were before.

I would be completely fine with no replays in any sport. I love the variance of human error. I'd feel the same way if my teams get screwed and or my fantasy and gambling interests get screwed

Yup...it's part of the game.

Not to mention, replay rarely provides the perfect cut-and-dried view that everyone acts like it does. And even when it does, half the time the refs just randomly ignore it.

btw....the Cubs lineup is insane. Holy **** on the bombs these guys are hitting!

So someone finally hits arietta, and the Cubs score 8 runs, so it doesn't matter. Unreal.

You'll see a different game tomorrow when the wind dies back down to a steady 10mph. It was blowing steady @ 30mph tonight with peak gust of 45!

Wind was going out... Mega strong. @ work it was suppressing Lake Michigan elevation by almost a whole foot tonight! Wind coming out of the west-southwest usually means the water is pushed out and down towards the State of Michigan shoreline... Had to be piling up on the Michigan side of The Lake. Now, when the wind shifts this week w/the big cold blast... That north wind will drive this end of The Lake another foot up.

We don't have tides on The Lakes... But we do have wind events that alter elevations big time... Mix in w/pressure systems and you can get seiches that can alter water levels by feet.

This week, I have now doubt we will see a 2-2.5' swing in water levels. The wind died down tonight and Lake Michigan elevation just went from +.26 to +1.52... (0.00 is 579.48' above mean sea level) That's a foot and 1/4 swing in the matter of hours tonight!

If wind can alter a huge body of water, it can surely alter a simple game! :D

The way Wrigley is situated CAN be a liablility! A game like this could have went anyway! Good thing the good guys pulled it out and the wind blowing out didn't turn it a total crap shoot!

Here's an interesting site:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/ballpark_NSEW_NL.shtml

Notice Wrigley in above link.

Now notice Sox Park below:

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/stadium/ballpark_NSEW_AL.shtml

Prevailing winds in Chicago are usually west, being windward of The Lake.

I hate how it is considered a good "baseball play" to just take a guy out. How about changing the rules to "you can't take a guy's legs out"?

Pirates lost their star rookie Jung Ho Kang to a similar play this year. Broken leg/torn knee. It's just disgusting.

Come on! This is America... You just can't let somebody turn a double play on you! Get down or I will throw @ your head... Now that he's down, you just want him to turtle and turn French! You gotta be kidding... I am taking somebody out!

It's a good play w/an unfortunate consequence. Poo happens, such is life! That's why big boys play the game and make the big bucks!

Geez. How do you even play in 30 mph winds. The fielding must have been a disaster in that game too.

It didn't seem that bad, I suspect the stadium does shield things, but once the ball flies up... Wrigley isn't a massive park.

I wonder what the new signs, boards, etc... Wil do to wind dynamics...??

Wind is now about 10 and the water level is up a foot... A whole foot sloshed on back in!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Mother and son savagely beat Mets fan outside Dodger Stadium

A monstrous mother-and-son duo savagely beat a Mets fan over the weekend outside Dodger Stadium in an attack so vicious the victim lost part of his skull, LA cops and the mans friend said Tuesday.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/13/mets-fan-victim-of-bloody-dodger-stadium-beatdown/