Official Mets lovefest thread

Rob's House

How big of a deal do you think this is?

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/13755937/bryce-harper-jonathan-papelbon-scuffle-washington-nationals-dugout

After Harper flied out in the eighth inning Sunday, he and Papelbon exchanged words when the NL MVP front-runner got back to the dugout.

Papelbon then reached for Harper's throat with his left hand and shoved the outfielder back toward the bench with both arms. Teammates then pulled the pair apart.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Papelbon is an idiot. I think he and Matt Williams will be packing their bags next weekend.

What an implosion by the Nats.

That seems to be what the commentators are calling for. I think the outrage towards Williams is over the top, but apparently he's been on the hot seat for a while now.

I don't think it was appropriate for Papplebon to do it either, but I hear Harper's a young punk and I kind of respect his willingness to go toe to toe with a guy of Harper's size, strength, and athleticism.

That seems to be what the commentators are calling for. I think the outrage towards Williams is over the top, but apparently he's been on the hot seat for a while now.

I don't think it was appropriate for Papplebon to do it either, but I hear Harper's a young punk and I kind of respect his willingness to go toe to toe with a guy of Harper's size, strength, and athleticism.

Harper's leading the NL in average, on-base percentage, and slugging. He can be a punk if he wants.

Williams has apparently been a disappointment. I assume they thought he was the guy to get Washington over the top but they've continued to be a flop despite playing in a bad division. And the optics of putting Papplebon in the game post-fight are pretty bad. Now he's claiming he didn't know the extent of the fight, which doesn't say much for his control of his own dugout.

Not sure how long the Papplebon/Harper thing has been brewing, but it's at least since Papplebon beaned Manny Machado a week or so ago, in the 9th inning of a close game when the Nats still had an outside shot at closing the gap with the Mets.

The thing that strikes me (my sample is a few people on talk radio) is the level of outrage. I don't think teammates fighting in the dugout should be shrugged off as no big deal, but I just don't see a glorified shoving match between an aging vet with a chip on his shoulder and the young superstar with an attitude problem as a shocking scandal either.

Edited by Rob's House

The thing that strikes me (my sample is a few people on talk radio) is the level of outrage. I don't think teammates fighting in the dugout should be shrugged off as no big deal, but I just don't see a glorified shoving match between an aging vet with a chip on his shoulder and the young superstar with an attitude problem as a shocking scandal either.

It's the age we live in, though I agree with you.

It's indicative of a lack of leadership and professionalism; not to mention unhappiness and frustration.

I don't think it's a scandal. But it's not a sign of good things for the Nationals.

It's indicative of a lack of leadership and professionalism; not to mention unhappiness and frustration.

I don't think it's a scandal. But it's not a sign of good things for the Nationals.

This Nats team has imploded. This is a team that was one of the favorites to win the NL & were built to win the World Series. There are several reasons it didn't happen & I also don't think Williams is a very good manager. I thought he blew the divisional round series forthe Nationals last year with some real questionable decisions. I wouldn't be surprised if Williams gets canned next week.

This fight dates back a week. Papelbon plunked a guy and Harper was interviewed after the game and asked about it.

Basically said that's a dumb move because I'm the star and I'm gonna get thrown at tommorow not papelbon

Kinda calling papelbon a has been and not the "star"

papelbon didn't hearing that.