You can't treat W2 like the GD Super Bowl...

eball

Other than the fact that it was a loss, the penalties were the worst part of that game. IMO.

The Bills defense not having any answer for the *Pats offense was the worst thing to me. The D was supposed to be our strong point and they just got destroyed. That's like always thinking your Big Brother is the toughest guy in the world and then watching him get his a$$ kicked. Kind of deflating.

And just how did Rex ( or any Bill, for that matter) belittle the Champs? I recall him referring to BB as a " HOF coach " and saying how much respect he has for him , but he doesn't fear him. Not sure where this myth of " trash talk" etc came from, but for some reason some Bills fans are buying it. Problem is it never happened. Could it be that a perennial SB contender is just flat out better than the Bills on pretty much any Sunday? Not a sexy story, but it looked pretty clear, and I doubt the outcome would be different if Rex and all the Bills gave one word answers in interviews.

no one belittled anyone from what I recall. Quite the opposite. The only "belittling" I remember actually came week 1. AW said Luck was "just another QB."

A couple Bills said they didn't like NE. That's all I remember. They were confident they could win, but that's not belittling. They have to think they can win any game.

Rex was in full Rex mode, talking about the RB whose name he didn't know and whatnot...he hyped the game as one that would reshape the balance of power in the AFC East, and some of the players clearly got caught up in it. I have no idea how the game would have turned out if the Bills weren't flagged 14 times or whatever it was, but it would have been a different game -- and I think the pre-game hype was a significant factor. The Pats*** have "been there, done that" and just went about their business.

It needs to be something they learn from. Getting too high for a game can be "deflating."

Rex was in full Rex mode, talking about the RB whose name he didn't know and whatnot...he hyped the game as one that would reshape the balance of power in the AFC East, and some of the players clearly got caught up in it. I have no idea how the game would have turned out if the Bills weren't flagged 14 times or whatever it was, but it would have been a different game -- and I think the pre-game hype was a significant factor. The Pats*** have "been there, done that" and just went about their business.

It needs to be something they learn from. Getting too high for a game can be "deflating."

ah yes - the Dion Lewis thing.

See, I think it was a legit comeback to. Belichick wanted to hang fitty on Rex, don't tell me they quit on either side of the ball.

That was the one big positive from that ass kicking, not one ounce of quit on that team.

hoody don't play that way.

Well you can call it wanting to stick the dagger in if you want, but the Pats were up 37-13 after 3 quarters. All they had to do was burn clock and not do anything stupid. Hoodie would normally take the safe route and he did not this time for some reason.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Well you can call it wanting to stick the dagger in if you want, but the Pats were up 37-13 after 3 quarters. All they had to do was burn clock and not do anything stupid. Hoodie would normally take the safe route and he did not this time for some reason.

BB is infamous for "running up scores" -- though its likely considered never letting off the gas, in order to set a certain mentality

Of course we shouldn't treat a week 2 game as the Super Bowl. But just taking the game on its own terms, as a signpost on what has been touted far and wide as a whole new Bills team, the results were troubling. This is a team, after all, that brought in one of the "star" Head Coaches, acknowledged as a defensive genius, and further augmented the changes by adding one of the top Offensive Coordinators.

This is a defense many people have proclaimed as likely to be the best in the NFL (and that includes pundits and experts around the country), and offense vastly improved with the addition of Incognito and Miller on the Oline, coached by one of the elite line coaches, all in service to an offense that added one of the best RBs in the league, a top TE, probably the best FB in currently in the game, and a troubled but very talented WR in Harvin. This in addition to Watkins and Woods. Sure, the QB is an unproven "rookie" but in the preseason and the first game appeared to be good enough to manage the game.

The uneven performance of Taylor and the Oline Sunday didn't bother me much because I don't consider it anywhere close to elite at this time; it's a work in progress. But the putrid, all-time worst performance against the Pats by the defense truly alarmed me as did the ineffective defensive game plan and the apparent inability or unwillingness to make any changes to it during the game. It almost seemed like Rex felt he'd created a genius plan and was stubbornly refusing to deviate from it come hell or high water, as if to do that would somehow be seen as giving in to Belichick.

So, yeah, it wasn't the Super Bowl. But considering all the changes made in 2015, considering all the hype and expectations, it would be silly to dismiss the mess at the Ralph this past Sunday as "just another game." The performance undermines much of what I, and apparently many others, believed about this years Bills. Folks, this was a historically bad performance against the Pats, by a team that was supposedly much much better than it has been in at least a decade. That the Bills looked like the "same old same old" Sunday worries me going forward.

The best analysis of Sunday's game I've read is this one from Ben Volin at the Boston Globe. No smugness, no hyperbole, real insight. Be nice if one of the many hacks covering the Bills could write something this useful. Here's a link to it: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/21/bills-boneheaded-decisions-helped-patriots-cause/x0O54GH4f5f1HSmXxaQldP/story.html

I'll just say this -- the 1990 Bills went to Miami in W2 and got their asses handed to them. I'm NOT comparing the teams -- merely pointing out that hiccups do occur. The problem with last week's game is that it was so over-hyped. If the Bills had simply "done their jobs" and not gotten caught up in all of the hype maybe some of those penalties aren't committed and it is a different game.

I've had the same thought the past couple of days, maybe in part b/c it seems like this year's team has the talent to compete with any team in the league, in my opinion. They just need to play smarter and they can be a playoff team.

Of course we shouldn't treat a week 2 game as the Super Bowl. But just taking the game on its own terms, as a signpost on what has been touted far and wide as a whole new Bills team, the results were troubling. This is a team, after all, that brought in one of the "star" Head Coaches, acknowledged as a defensive genius, and further augmented the changes by adding one of the top Offensive Coordinators.

This is a defense many people have proclaimed as likely to be the best in the NFL (and that includes pundits and experts around the country), and offense vastly improved with the addition of Incognito and Miller on the Oline, coached by one of the elite line coaches, all in service to an offense that added one of the best RBs in the league, a top TE, probably the best FB in currently in the game, and a troubled but very talented WR in Harvin. This in addition to Watkins and Woods. Sure, the QB is an unproven "rookie" but in the preseason and the first game appeared to be good enough to manage the game.

The uneven performance of Taylor and the Oline Sunday didn't bother me much because I don't consider it anywhere close to elite at this time; it's a work in progress. But the putrid, all-time worst performance against the Pats by the defense truly alarmed me as did the ineffective defensive game plan and the apparent inability or unwillingness to make any changes to it during the game. It almost seemed like Rex felt he'd created a genius plan and was stubbornly refusing to deviate from it come hell or high water, as if to do that would somehow be seen as giving in to Belichick.

So, yeah, it wasn't the Super Bowl. But considering all the changes made in 2015, considering all the hype and expectations, it would be silly to dismiss the mess at the Ralph this past Sunday as "just another game." The performance undermines much of what I, and apparently many others, believed about this years Bills. Folks, this was a historically bad performance against the Pats, by a team that was supposedly much much better than it has been in at least a decade. That the Bills looked like the "same old same old" Sunday worries me going forward.

The best analysis of Sunday's game I've read is this one from Ben Volin at the Boston Globe. No smugness, no hyperbole, real insight. Be nice if one of the many hacks covering the Bills could write something this useful. Here's a link to it: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2015/09/21/bills-boneheaded-decisions-helped-patriots-cause/x0O54GH4f5f1HSmXxaQldP/story.html

A disturbing read. His first point about going for the 2 point conversion along with the stupid challenge I find really troubling. A "elite" head coach would not make such mistakes. I was scratching my head on both of those as well during the game. Hopefully Ryan just had a bad game ... hopefully.

I'll just say this -- the 1990 Bills went to Miami in W2 and got their asses handed to them. I'm NOT comparing the teams -- merely pointing out that hiccups do occur. The problem with last week's game is that it was so over-hyped. If the Bills had simply "done their jobs" and not gotten caught up in all of the hype maybe some of those penalties aren't committed and it is a different game.

It was 22 years ago on Sunday (a game that irritated me so badly) - when Brian Cox (Miami linebacker) flipped off the Rich Stadium crowd....and the fish beat the Bills 22-13. Hated that guy....I'm guessing that Suh is gonna be our Brian Cox of this era.

Not happy about the loss but don't think it's the end of the season. We all got a reality check and think the defensive performance was more an aberration than a trend. The main problem was the D could not stop the Pats* offensive scheme. Besides QB, TE and coach we have more talent. I may be wrong but I think defenses will eventually come up with a way to defend the quick pass, hurry up the pats* are doing now, if that happens NE may not have the personnel to change to another scheme and hopefully they get beat down hard.

Great post, great read. I agree that Ryan's bad decisions cost the Bills dearly Sunday. Not going for it on 4th and 3 was huge. Incomplete pass on 3rd down should have been a run to set up 4th and short and then hurry to the line and go for it. Very GreggoMularkeyJauronChanMaroon like not to think ahead two plays to set up a must make 4th down. how many times have we seen the Bills in 3rd and 3,4,5 on the opponents side of the fifty throw an incomplete pass on 3rd down instead of running the ball to set up a go for it 4th down? I'm sick of it.

The challenge flag was just a joke, a massive brain fart of the highest order. Right up there with Maroon first challenge for a fumble we didn't even recover. And going for 2-point conversions that early in the game? If we had just kicked the EP's, we're down 6 and a TD and EP wins it, but we needed to TD and 2pt conversion just to TIE. STUPID!!