Bills running game - some stats

YoloinOhio

Things are looking up in this department. If we are able to get back to the formula where we play great defense and aren't having to come back from multiple scores early on in the game, TT will be in much better position to succeed. This is very likely considering the difference in the offenses/coaches/QBs we play going forward.

@RQUINN619: #Bills RBs averaging 5.15 yards per carry with TD on power runs behind Richie Incognito as pulling lead blocker. 13-67-TD

@RQUINN619: #Bills RBs gained 43 yards on 7 read option runs (6.14 ypc)

Harvin also successful on screens/end arounds. McCoy and Karlos a potential dynamite 1-2 punch.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I guess I'm not all that down in the dumps about the one bad game (yes it was a really BAD game) because I think the team is truly of playoff caliber, assuming Coach R. gets the house in order and disciplined...and the run game is my primary reason for my optimism. I am an advocate of the "ground and pound" theory and suspect our O-line is more geared to the run game than the pass game. (After Sunday I guess most of you are saying "Ya THINK???")

The run game opens up the pass game and keeps the Brady's where they belong...off the field. The run game should be the basis of our offense going forward.

I'm more concerned about the defense and am not sure what can be done. game discipline for sure, but 40 points is hard to take. It may be the defense is not up to its hype. The next few games will tell.

I guess I'm not all that down in the dumps about the one bad game (yes it was a really BAD game) because I think the team is truly of playoff caliber, assuming Coach R. gets the house in order and disciplined...and the run game is my primary reason for my optimism. I am an advocate of the "ground and pound" theory and suspect our O-line is more geared to the run game than the pass game. (After Sunday I guess most of you are saying "Ya THINK???")

The run game opens up the pass game and keeps the Brady's where they belong...off the field. The run game should be the basis of our offense going forward.

I'm more concerned about the defense and am not sure what can be done. game discipline for sure, but 40 points is hard to take. It may be the defense is not up to its hype. The next few games will tell.

Field position was an absolute killer. Hard to stop Tom Brady drives starting at the 20. Certainly the defense needs to get better, but the TOs and penalties killed them.

I've listened to some Eagles reporters this week say that McCoy bailed out the OL in Phil a lot because he was able to get to the second level so quickly and avoid the first defender whereas Murray doesn't have the quick cut ability and needs bigger initial roles to run through. I have seen this here too, the all 22 should show the same.

I've listened to some Eagles reporters this week say that McCoy bailed out the OL in Phil a lot because he was able to get to the second level so quickly and avoid the first defender whereas Murray doesn't have the quick cut ability and needs bigger initial roles to run through. I have seen this here too, the all 22 should show the same.

Been noticing that myself...

And then Karlos just hits whatever is in front of him, hole or not. :lol:

i think we get back to the run game this week. need to control the clock and we don't want Tyrod throwing 30+ times a game. i think McCoy will hit the corners and be big in the screen game and Karlos will get the tough yards. 200 yards rushing or bust!

Taylor is helping the Bills rushing totals quite a bit. It's nice to have a QB who can run, but I don't want to depend on rushing yards coming from him. And it does inflate the team's rushing yards so don't look at the total or rank and think the RBs are doing a great job because without Taylor's yards the Bills are pretty average. Still, that's only through 2 games so the small sample size disclaimer applies.

Taylor is helping the Bills rushing totals quite a bit. It's nice to have a QB who can run, but I don't want to depend on rushing yards coming from him. And it does inflate the team's rushing yards so don't look at the total or rank and think the RBs are doing a great job because without Taylor's yards the Bills are pretty average. Still, that's only through 2 games so the small sample size disclaimer applies.

5.15 ypc is pretty average? Obviously the RBs and the left side of the line are doing very well, so far...

5.15 ypc is pretty average? Obviously the RBs and the left side of the line are doing very well, so far...

That's 5.15 ypc for the TEAM and includes Taylor's 6.0 ypc. Their most effective RB has been Shady who is at 4.1 ypc, which ties him for 20th amongst RBs. So, yeah, that's pretty average for the RBs - or actually slightly below average if you want to be technical. Again, two games doesn't tell us much with any certainty. My point was that running QBs tend to inflate team rushing numbers so if you want an accurate picture of how the RBs are doing you have to look at their numbers, not team numbers.

Stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

Edited to add:

I double checked in case the Bills had players w/o enough qualifying carries, but higher ypc averages than Shady's 4.1. They do. Just looking at RBs they're averaging 4.4 ypc. That's pretty average.

Edited by BarleyNY

That's 5.15 ypc for the TEAM and includes Taylor's 6.0 ypc. Their most effective RB has been Shady who is at 4.1 ypc, which ties him for 20th amongst RBs. So, yeah, that's pretty average for the RBs - or actually slightly below average if you want to be technical. Again, two games doesn't tell us much with any certainty. My point was that running QBs tend to inflate team rushing numbers so if you want an accurate picture of how the RBs are doing you have to look at their numbers, not team numbers.

Stats: http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

he is referring to this stat regarding the right side. It is RBs only.

@RQUINN619: #Bills RBs averaging 5.15 yards per carry with TD on power runs behind Richie Incognito as pulling lead blocker. 13-67-TD

Edited by YoloinOhio