Expect every defense to attack our offense like this...

BmarvB

Taylor was confused yesterday. Lets see if he can learn from it.

that confusion started with his OC, after the first drive.. you don't learn anything in survival mode.. the coach has to settle things down and respond to the pressure his 'rookie' QB is getting. DCs borrow pieces to get 8 in the box, and that leaves them weak elsewhere. Roman ran more counter-measures in pre-season than i saw in this game. he failed his O the way Rex failed his D. not at all what many of us expected

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, they can't. Brady's on another level. He's got the Bills number just like Miami used to have it back in the 70's and most of the 80's

True. It's uncanny how many times Brady just hits his receivers right in the hands. They can't help but catch it. He's deadly quick and accurate getting the ball out. TT won't ever be that accurate standing in the pocket but he has the gift of speed, elusiveness and a great arm (with some nice touch on deep passes). If he takes some of the lessons learned from yesterday he can be really good. He tried to stand in there a few times yesterday and prove he could throw from the pocket....ended up taking unnecessary sacks. Look at what Seattle did with Wilson in the 2nd half last night. They started calling QB run plays...rolled him away from the pocket. All of a sudden Wilson couldn't be stopped. A defense can't really contain that when a QB has those kind of skills on the run.

that confusion started with his OC, after the first drive.. you don't learn anything in survival mode.. the coach has to settle things down and respond to the pressure his 'rookie' QB is getting. DCs borrow pieces to get 8 in the box, and that leaves them weak elsewhere. Roman ran more counter-measures in pre-season than i saw in this game. he failed his O the way Rex failed his D. not at all what many of us expected

It was so surprising how quickly it fell apart. Our first series on O and D were both stellar. Like, perfect. Then, I don't know what happened! Ol' Bill must've figured us out real quick, or we didn't stay true to our plans.

Edited by Big C

To me this starts with the penalties....WAAAAY too many penalties on offense

They

It was so surprising how quickly it fell apart. Our first series on O and D were both stellar. Like, perfect. Then, I don't know what happened! Ol' Bill must've figured us out real quick, or we didn't stay true to our plans.

We were outplayed, out smarted, out disciplined, and clearly outcoached by a better team this time. It's an early season learning experience that they'll recover from. It doesn't get any easier for them next week in Miami so they better learn fast and step up their game. They have to be much smarter all the way around.

Edited by BmarvB

i bet Belichick and his DC took a deep breath when Taylor broke that run on the first drive.. because if he was gonna be able to that with any consistency, their game plan had a major flaw. i'm thinking they reminded their inside 'pressure' to stay disciplined, and their scheme started working. how Roman didn't anticipate this, or have an adjustment ready. is strange. in his defense, maybe Belichick was ready for his adjustments without having to witness them get played out. i don't know.. but we looked unprepared - something i thought this team wouldn't be.

To me this starts with the penalties....WAAAAY too many penalties on offense

yep.. that plays into it, but i don't know if we had any drive killers in next three series - could be wrong.. just don't recall them being an issue with the O

edit - correction - other than that Mulligan play.. yikes, who does this kid know?

Edited by BackInDaDay

This is exactly right. Huge shift in philosophy from the scripted plays to the remainder of the game.

This is exactly right. Huge shift in philosophy from the scripted plays to the remainder of the game.

shocked we didn't see the power formations in there.. and what was up with the conversion calls? Kujo was healthy enough to spell Henderson early (and that's the first time i ever saw an ref pull a NFL player), and he and Mulligan were our unbalanced personnel all summer.. i was doubly surprised not to see Roman go unbalance right down there! especially with that jet sweep coming back to the left

that was Roman on the sideline, right?

Edited by BackInDaDay

shocked we didn't see the power formations in there.. and what was up with the conversion calls? Kujo was healthy enough to spell Henderson early (and that's the first time i ever saw an ref pull a NFL player), and he and Mulligan were our unbalanced personnel all summer.. i was doubly surprised not to see Roman go unbalance right down there! especially with that jet sweep coming back to the left

that was Roman on the sideline, right?

No idea. The 2-point calls looked like they didn't trust either Taylor or the OL.

Tyrod needs to practice throwing to the waist of the receiver and not the head. He's a natural thrower, but he's got the Vick passing disease right now, very often throwing too fast and too high. That leads to tipped INT's like what happened with Clay and Sammy, both sure-handed receivers but were unable to haul in those rising fastballs from Tyrod.

He has a nice touch on the longball and the screen passes. Needs to keep working on keeping the ball down the way Brady does.

good post.

There was something wrong with the game plan on offense. When a defense is crowding the line of scrimmage, the perfect offensive game plan is to pass. Typically, you want to back them off, by going over them. When they have been beaten by intermediate/long passes, they know they cannot continue to crowd the line. Getting sacked 7-8 times in a game is going to get the QB killed. Rex wants to run first to set up the run. Sometimes you have to pass first to set up the run. Surprised we scored 32pts to be honest.

The defense, had issues too. I think the mistakes made during this game are correctable. They need to learn and then apply it on the field. Going to be a fun season watching these guys put it together.

Edited by Rockinon

They can try that. If Roman's got nothing to counter to it, we'll deserve to lose.

You don't mention the blueprint for beating our D shown by NE, but the question there is can other QB consistently throw like Brady did and not get picked for it.

I was wondering all game why no one was jumping those 8 yard outs? I realize there is a risk you get burned deep but at some point you have to realize they are achieving the same thing with the low risk patterns.

I don't think any DCs needed NE to point out to them that stacking the box against McCoy and short passes is the sensible strategy against a first time starting QB. And hopefully the Bills' coaching staff is building their game plans anticipating that approach.

I don't think any DCs needed NE to point out to them that stacking the box against McCoy and short passes is the sensible strategy against a first time starting QB. And hopefully the Bills' coaching staff is building their game plans anticipating that approach.

Watkins needs to be a bigger part of the gameplan. He's the best player on the offense, and so far he's been a secondary player. If Atlanta can get the ball to Julio Jones and Manning can get it to OBJ, there have to be ways to get it to Watkins. That's on Roman.

Watkins needs to be a bigger part of the gameplan. He's the best player on the offense, and so far he's been a secondary player. If Atlanta can get the ball to Julio Jones and Manning can get it to OBJ, there have to be ways to get it to Watkins. That's on Roman.

It doesn't appear that Watkins and Taylor are completely comfortable with each others game yet. With Watkins missing so much of training camp recovering from hip surgery, and the 3 way competition for QB, they really haven't had a lot of time working together yet. It may take till mid season before they're completely comfortable knowing what the other will do in a given situation. Seems like Harvin has the most chemistry with Taylor at this point.