Taylor Review

Thurmal34

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were me - If they stack the box, change the play to go 3 or 4 wide then throw deep.

If Miami chooses to stack the box, I'd expect that Clay will have a big game. They don't have a LB that can cover, and their best safety is Reshad Jones, who hasn't been great against TEs.

if they stack the box, a vertical seam to the TE will be there all day.

I was just responding to this:

No one is saying that the 4th quarter forgave everything. All anyone is saying is that you have to look at the entire game. There was some good (5 TDs on offense) and some bad (3 INTs). You can't just conveniently select the parts of the game that best fit your narrative. The Bills never scored 5 TDs when other QBs were "fraught with struggles."

As of today the Bills are 4th in the league in PPG and there is a 23+ page thread with people talking about the QB being a problem. The defense gave up 466 passing yards and 40 points (or whatever). If you are looking to point a finger the game plan is probably the proper place to start (specifically on the defensive side of the ball).

something struck me funny about so called QB Ratings - I took a look and these "stats" just don't add up.

Week 1 - QBR = 88.2 and RAT of 123.8

Week 2 - QBR = 32.6 and RAT of 93.3

one can argue 88.2 is good and 32.6 looks horrid, while both 123.8 and 93.3 look very good.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

something struck me funny about so called QB Ratings - I took a look and these "stats" just doesn't add up.

one can argue 88.2 is good and 32.6 looks horrid, while both 123.8 and 93.3 look very good.

Yeah, those formulas are pretty weird. They were talking on Sirius the other day about how you can be 0-1 passing and have a 28 RAT. Just doesn't make sense. To tie it back into your earlier statements though, the stats that got EJ benched early last year were:

Week 3 - QBR = 18.1 and RAT of 85.2

Week 4 - QBR - 18.1 and RAT of 59.4

something struck me funny about so called QB Ratings - I took a look and these "stats" just doesn't add up.

50 is considered average in QBR. It has you right in the middle of the league (at least that is how ESPN designed it). Through 2 weeks in terms of QBR he is at like 57.5. For comparison sake that is between Bridgewater and Tannehill last year (17) and ahead of Alex Smith, Stafford, Cam, Dalton and Cutler.

By comparison the 103.9 passer rating right now is 8th in the league (that is rated between 0 - 158.3). That 103.9 number would have been good for 3rd last year behind only Romo and Rodgers. Obviously, I don't expect that to hold up but as I have said (about a million times in this thread) the QB play has been at worst, middle of the league. That was thought to be a best case scenario by most of us prior to the start of the season (myself included). It hasn't been perfect but it has been more than we expected. Now the defense on the other hand....

Edited by Kirby Jackson

50 is considered average in QBR. It has you right in the middle of the league (at least that is how ESPN designed it). Through 2 weeks in terms of QBR he is at like 57.5. For comparison sake that is between Bridgewater and Tannehill last year (17) and ahead of Alex Smith, Stafford, Cam, Dalton and Cutler.

By comparison the 103.9 passer rating right now is 8th in the league (that is rated between 0 - 158.3). That 103.9 number would have been good for 3rd last year behind only Romo and Rodgers. Obviously, I don't expect that to hold up but as I have said (about a million times in this thread) the QB play has been at worst, middle of the league. That was thought to be a best case scenario by most of us prior to the start of the season (myself included). It hasn't been perfect but it has been more than we expected. Now the defense on the other hand....

The state of the defense is actually a little frightening to me. These guys all know they were dominant last year. 3 ProBowlers, breaking records, etc. If they don't get to playing at a comparable level soon, I could see them starting to point fingers, at least internally. And those fingers will be pointed at none other than our HC. And finger pointing on a Rex Ryan team will probably lead to a volatile lost season.

they "screwed up". Not much else to say until we see more than one team actually shutting down NE*.

Big game with lots of hype and raw emotions played into that game. It was 1 game. If the trend continues then we can say "Houston, we have a problem".

How do they shut down Aaron Rogers one week and let a rookie in Oakland score on them?

they "screwed up". Not much else to say until we see more than one team actually shutting down NE*.

Big game with lots of hype and raw emotions played into that game. It was 1 game. If the trend continues then we can say "Houston, we have a problem".

How do they shut down Aaron Rogers one week and let a rookie in Oakland score on them?

Maybe so, I was just concerned about the defensive game plan. They basically challenged the Patriots to do what the Patriots do best. It was odd (and really stupid). Hopefully Rex and company realizes that you can't let Edleman and Gronk get a free release. We will see next time but I pray that I never have to watch another 465 yard performance from Brady.

Maybe so, I was just concerned about the defensive game plan. They basically challenged the Patriots to do what the Patriots do best. It was odd (and really stupid). Hopefully Rex and company realizes that you can't let Edleman and Gronk get a free release. We will see next time but I pray that I never have to watch another 465 yard performance from Brady.

I made a comment somewhere that maybe teams should let Tainted Tom pass 50+ times a game.

His arm would fall off mid December.

ha ha, I like it!! It looked like it was happening to Peyton last year

I am guessing that Tainted Tom will retire 1 year after Peyton. I think it pisses T*m off that people rate Peyton better than him.

What's he think now with Aaron Rodgers in that spot?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

If it were me - If they stack the box, change the play to go 3 or 4 wide then throw deep.

Yep. once the QB sees the defense move up closer to the line to stack 8/9 in the box. Just go to a spread offense with 3-4-5 WR's, and run slants to Sammy or Woods, or draws to Shady.

The defense will need to go nickle or dime to cover the extra WR's, and that's where the miss match begins for the run game because now they have a DB covering the RB's instead of a LBer.

What got me with Marrone / Hackett is when the defense stacked the box they went to a max protect package with extra TE's.

Anyway, I still can't figure out why the Bills don't use Sammy in a lot of screen plays, as he was so good at that in College.

Yep. once the QB sees the defense move up closer to the line to stack 8/9 in the box. Just go to a spread offense with 3-4-5 WR's, and run slants to Sammy or Woods, or draws to Shady.

Saw Fitz do this vs the Suck for Lucks the other night. He used to also do it with us too. Trent on the other hand, never could.

If Fitz can do it, surely Hotrod Taylor can as well. Hopefully he does this week.

Edited by reddogblitz

58/78 - 74.36% - 674 yards - 8.64ypa - 7 TDs - 3 INTs - 1 TD rushing - 113 QB rating

I know it's only 3 games, but it's certainly good results so far.

We are watching a qb who is mobile, smart, has a good arm and most impressively is accurate. The stats are solid but what is most encouraging is that you can see his confidence building the more he plays. As you noted it is still very early in his tenure.However, for almost a generation we haven't seen such promising play from the qb position.

TT is not simply a caretaker and manager type qb. He is a player who can make big plays and force the defense to focus on his multiple talents i.e. passing and running abilities.

TT is a bargain basement offseason acquisition that turned into gold. There is no difference when hitting the jackpot through either luck or calculation. The end result is the same. You have the jackpot in your possession. The more I see him play the more excited I get over what I think he can potentially do for this team.

Very impressive. Even in three games the bombs that he has missed, each of them were one yard too long, that couldn't be intercepted. He's been surprisingly accurate and poised for the most part. He wasn't even good today, he was great.

TTis getting the TE involved in the offense and he is getting the ball into Harvin's hands. Now Woods is being targeted more and is producing. It won't be long before Watkins gets more involved in the passing game beyond being the focus of the coverages. As a receiving corps we got receivers who have a variety of skill sets. Roman knows how to scheme plays to utilize their talents and use the whole field. Having a qb who is accurate and can extend plays allows the OC to use all the tools in his toolbox. Roman is good for TT and TT is good for Roman. A terrific match.