It Was 45 Years Ago Today

Chef Jim

He's probably had more influence on those that came after than anyone else since. I was in my 2nd year of lessons when he died - it took me another four years before I could even try to play any of his material. RIP

http://youtu.be/gdya-VDdBiA

There was an article in the WSJ last weekend about families fighting over money and they talked about his estate. He left everything to his dad who recently passed and he left it all to his daughter who was a step-sister to Jimi (I think that's how it went). And she is justifying her inheritance because she said it's because of her that Jimi's musical legacy is still out there. Seriously?? I don't think he needs any one person to keep his music alive.

And she is justifying her inheritance because she said it's because of her that Jimi's musical legacy is still out there. Seriously?? I don't think he needs any one person to keep his music alive.

I believe there was a lot of legal wrangling over the rights to his music with record labels, lawyers, etc, and I'm pretty sure that she - or another female member of his family, fought pretty hard on Al Hendrix's behalf in obtaining control over Jimi's material. But to think that his music wouldn't be played over & over for generations after his death is pretty ridiculous.

I seek out every thing Jimi ever recorded- outtakes, live shows, screwing around. Everything Jimi played is compelling. Jimi is amazing

Can you give your thoughts on the best 1 or 2 or 3 of the posthumous collections? I'm sure there is some great stuff there, but I've always been wary because there's so much out there and I know much of it is just labels trying to cash in.

Can you give your thoughts on the best 1 or 2 or 3 of the posthumous collections? I'm sure there is some great stuff there, but I've always been wary because there's so much out there and I know much of it is just labels trying to cash in.

Will do. I need to give each a listen and decide myself. There are some blistering versions of Hear My Train-that's some of my favorites. And great call on Machine Gun. Another one of my favorites. I sometimes do a hold em tournament at a small local pub. Well I would always play a 22 minute version of Machine Gun on the jukebox. The bartender had that removed after several months of this LOL

This would apply to me as well. I'm familiar with all the 'proper' studio recordings, but the only of the original post-mortem albums (I count War Heroes as a 'proper' studio album even though it was released after his death) I've listened to is Crash Landing, which I wasn't too impressed with. This kind of relates to what I mentioned earlier about his family fighting for the rights to control his music - apparently they've been involved in some pretty good post-mortems of his. I just don't know much in detail about them, though.

The most compelling of any unreleased Hendrix music is owned by the estate of Chas Chandler. There is zero interest within the chandler estate to do any business with Jimi's half sister whom he never met BTW. She is simply a grade A **nt. The Chandler tapes have been backed up and stored properly. However except for a few it may be awhile if ever before they see the light of day

the bulk of the Chandler tapes have never been bootlegged. And come from a extremely important time in Jimi's recorded legacy. Currently the entire negoiatation process is stalled/dead.

Anything posthumous that was touched by Alan Douglas regarding Hendrix music and "sessions" should be avoided at all costs. he was a hack, and it is trash. Any serious Hendrix collector is better of collecting the tapes that move through musican circles or boots.

This would apply to me as well. I'm familiar with all the 'proper' studio recordings, but the only of the original post-mortem albums (I count War Heroes as a 'proper' studio album even though it was released after his death) I've listened to is Crash Landing, which I wasn't too impressed with. This kind of relates to what I mentioned earlier about his family fighting for the rights to control his music - apparently they've been involved in some pretty good post-mortems of his. I just don't know much in detail about them, though.

crash landing and war heroes are prime examples of alan Douglas rubbish.,even some of the solos are reworked. Truly a slight of an amazing artists work

The releases by Experience Hendrix are legit, in my opinion. People, Hell and Angels is phenomenal. It's the fourth in the series and the last one of these that I purchased; they are all very good.

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/a/#/artist/jimi-hendrix/697/

If you ever get a chance to catch one of the Experience Hendrix shows, do it. When I went, Billy Cox, Dweezil Zappa, Buddy Guy, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Jonny Lang and others played. KWS stole the show by a long shot. His band's singer did most of the vocals.

In my opinion, no one will ever top Jimi Hendrix. There's a lot of awesome guitarists out there; and some who play(ed) Jimi's style of guitar well enough to drop jaws.

But he did it first. And he did it best.

One of the strangest things about his guitar playing is that he was left handed and played a right handed Strat. He just turned it over and restrung it upside down. The pickups Leo Fender made were matched to the strings (on a normal Strat), so this added to his particular sound and one of the many reasons it was SO different.

One of the strangest things about his guitar playing is that he was left handed and played a right handed Strat. He just turned it over and restrung it upside down. The pickups Leo Fender made were matched to the strings (on a normal Strat), so this added to his particular sound and one of the many reasons it was SO different.

Same thing with Toni Iommi. He played a strat flipped lefty just like Hendrix did on the first Black Sabbath album. He broke it during the recording sessions and couldn't afford a new one, so he finished the album using his SG and stuck with it afterward.