It seems like Donahoe is pencilling in Losman as

Grant

Just like Pittsburgh when they started their new guy?

A smart game plan, good running and some nice blocking will take a lot of pressure off of JP and make him look like a better decision maker, while at the same time he grows to become one.

We may take some steps back, but it's not out of the question to say this team grows under Mularkey and that Losman makes good on his chance.

It's rare that one can completely forecast a team's fortunes for the seasons ahead, except maybe for Miami last year once they lost Ricky.  Nobody knows sh-- until September.  It's only fun for all of us to talk about it like we do.

238348[/snapback]

The question is, should JP have to win the job on the field or have it handed to him?

I think I ought to re-iterate the original question of this thread since nobody really addressed it.

Are you comfortable with the braintrust appointing JP as a starter rather than having him earn it against a veteran? Should we bring in a veteran and have the two duke it out, or should we bring in a veteran that knows that he'll be the back up no matter what?

238367[/snapback]

If the reports coming out are true and the Bills are ready to throw DB on the scrap heap, they must have seen enough in Losman during mini camps, training camps and when he came back from his injury to convince them that the kid will be ready come September. I'm sure that they will bring in a vet just in case Losman falls flat on his face, but short of this, they are basically ready to anonit his as the starter and turn him loose.

So to answer your question...it sounds like the Bills are comfortable with the move to JP without having an open competition and so am I.

The question is, should JP have to win the job on the field or have it handed to him?

238375[/snapback]

I am from the camp that he should earn the job. See if he can make the plays, read the D, and stay healthy through at least Training camp. Something he has not done to this point.

238375[/snapback]

Uhhh...I believe he has just returned to Buffalo to begin workouts and classroom work with Wyche. This is weeks before the draft and anything formal being scheduled. Doesn't sound like anything is being handed to him, sounds like he's busting his ass for the job...

Uhhh...I believe he has just returned to Buffalo to begin workouts and classroom work with Wyche. This is weeks before the draft and anything formal being scheduled. Doesn't sound like anything is being handed to him, sounds like he's busting his ass for the job...

238382[/snapback]

Yeah, he is getting the edge on the competition which, with Drew gone is....is.....uh...er..um.....right, nobody. That's okay because there is not going to be a competition. Earning a job means beating out the competition on the field, not showing up for class on time with your homework done. I think the millions they are paying him, starter or not, ought to be enough to get him to hit the play book.

Yeah, he is getting the edge on the competition which, with Drew gone is....is.....uh...er..um.....right, nobody.  That's okay because there is not going to be a competition.  Earning a job means beating out the competition on the field, not showing up for class on time with your homework done.  I think the millions they are paying him, starter or not, ought to be enough to get him to hit the play book.

238401[/snapback]

Damn, I can read a playbook, and know pretty much what to do in a given situation. Doesn't mean I can perform on the field in even an average capacity. But hey I can read a playbook, think the Bills will pay me 2 million per year and name me the starter without having to earn it? ;)

A better "old" article about JP...

Summary

Great looking prospect just needs to be a little more accurate on the field and that will come once he straightens up his mechanics on the field. Is a great competitor and is as fiery as they come, can make all the throws and has the quickest release in college football. Only thing keeping J.P. from being a great quarterback is his attention to detail when throwing the football. Once he gets that down he is as good as anyone, awesome, athletic QB prospect, one of the best.

--Jeremy Osborne

Losman profile

238373[/snapback]

That was beautiful

Although I agree with the move to release Bledsoe if he won't accept a potential demotion, I am uncomfortable with the recent news that Donahoe wants Losman to start next year (see TBD front page).

Losman needs, I think, a back-up that is solid enough that they could possibly start if Losman's progress isn't quite where it needs to be by September. It sounds like Donahoe is making what should be Mularkey's decision, which is a depth chart decision.

I still believe that we need to pick up a viable QB alternative that would provide a real quarterback competition this season and that Losman ought to earn the job, not be appointed by the General Manager.

Thoughts?

237922[/snapback]

Good.

We will not be 3-13. Even if JP didn't start until 2006, we would still have growing pains. Bledsoe has no upside with this team anymore. JP will be handing the ball off more than he will be called upon to win it with his arm. We are going to be a runnning team. What i would love to see is a quality tight end to use as a safety valve.

Well, we should find out soon enough if JP has what it takes to win in the NFL. There's no question that, if JP is the starter next season, we will be a run-first offense. This will take no opposing defense by surprise.

I expect most defenses to stack up strong against the run to take Willis out of the game, and to put everything on JP's shoulders. If you were a defensive coordinator, wouldn't you do this? Your best chance of winning is to single out the least experienced player on the offense and make him take chances.

The thought of JP going up against the Pats next season does not give me tingles.

Neither does Drew, for that matter.

Losman needs, I think, a back-up that is solid enough that they could possibly start if Losman's progress isn't quite where it needs to be by September. It sounds like Donahoe is making what should be Mularkey's decision, which is a depth chart decision.

237922[/snapback]

Isn't that why is was run out of Pittsburgh? Sometimes the owner will side with the coach. Donahoe must believe Ralph supports him over the coach.

I'm sure the decision was made with the approval of if not the demands of  Mularchy, Wyche, Clements & probably Ralph as well.  This is not the Baltimore Colts where they make QB decisions at the top without notifying the people it will have the most impact on (see as the NY Post called it "Grand Theft Elway")

237933[/snapback]

Worst owner in NFL history.

Although I agree with the move to release Bledsoe if he won't accept a potential demotion, I am uncomfortable with the recent news that Donahoe wants Losman to start next year (see TBD front page).

I still believe that we need to pick up a viable QB alternative that would provide a real quarterback competition this season and that Losman ought to earn the job, not be appointed by the General Manager.

Thoughts?

237922[/snapback]

While I am in favor of the move....I also agree that a competant backup (someone you would not be afraid to put in the game) needs to be brought in.

Damn, I can read a playbook, and know pretty much what to do in a given situation.  Doesn't mean I can perform on the field in even an average capacity.  But hey I can read a playbook, think the Bills will pay me 2 million per year and name me the starter without having to earn it?  ;)

238403[/snapback]

Well, okay, but only if you agree to come in a few weeks early and listen to Wyche talk about how good Boomer Esiason was.