It seems like Donahoe is pencilling in Losman as

Grant

Although I agree with the move to release Bledsoe if he won't accept a potential demotion, I am uncomfortable with the recent news that Donahoe wants Losman to start next year (see TBD front page).

Losman needs, I think, a back-up that is solid enough that they could possibly start if Losman's progress isn't quite where it needs to be by September. It sounds like Donahoe is making what should be Mularkey's decision, which is a depth chart decision.

I still believe that we need to pick up a viable QB alternative that would provide a real quarterback competition this season and that Losman ought to earn the job, not be appointed by the General Manager.

Thoughts?

Although I agree with the move to release Bledsoe if he won't accept a potential demotion, I am uncomfortable with the recent news that Donahoe wants Losman to start next year (see TBD front page).

Losman needs, I think, a back-up that is solid enough that they could possibly start if Losman's progress isn't quite where it needs to be by September. It sounds like Donahoe is making what should be Mularkey's decision, which is a depth chart decision.

I still believe that we need to pick up a viable QB alternative that would provide a real quarterback competition this season and that Losman ought to earn the job, not be appointed by the General Manager.

Thoughts?

237922[/snapback]

Is this post the answer to "Be careful what you wish for"? :rolleyes:

I'm sure the decision was made with the approval of if not the demands of Mularchy, Wyche, Clements & probably Ralph as well. This is not the Baltimore Colts where they make QB decisions at the top without notifying the people it will have the most impact on (see as the NY Post called it "Grand Theft Elway")

I'm sure the decision was made with the approval of if not the demands of  Mularchy, Wyche, Clements & probably Ralph as well.  This is not the Baltimore Colts where they make QB decisions at the top without notifying the people it will have the most impact on (see as the NY Post called it "Grand Theft Elway")

237933[/snapback]

Even so, I fail to see how Losman would have shown the braintrust anything that would indicate he ought to be the Number One QB next year, without question. He's only now come back to Buffalo to begin working with Wyche, Mularkey and Clements, and last year he appeared to mainly be playing catch-up.

The point is, from what we've heard so far (and you can question it's reliabilty, but this is obviously all hypothetical anyway) it seems like the Powers That Be are appointing Losman as the starter next year, similar to Carson Palmer's situation last offseason.

Is this a good or bad thing, do you suppose? I've already expressed my opinion in the original post.

Just trying to encourage some thoughtful discussion, you see.

It's good for the future of the team but bad for any possible post seasons now. He'll take awhile to learn how to play in this league. Let's hope we don't have to rely on him much.

What we need is a capable backup for Willis so he isn't overused. We need to ride the running game to the SB like the Stillers almost did.

Thoughts?

237922[/snapback]

Not pencilling, inking.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

238150[/snapback]

I think JP did show a few things and gained alot on the field in his first pro year.

1. There was simply a world of difference in his command of the huddle and of the game between JP when he was thrown to the wolves mopping up in the NE blow-out and his performance leading the team in our blowouts. In each game he showed progressive improvement which I describe below.

A. Game 1 mop in NE- He was thrown into this game just off his injury and ge dud bit expect to play. This rude awakening was probably the best thing for his attitude as it demonstrated to him what it means to be a pro. When you put on the uniform you have to be ready to play all the time. This also should have proved something to the fools on TSW who kept claiming that young QBs get nothing out of practice and preparation and must play. JP sucked the big one in this game exactly because he did not do the preparation and had probably not practiced with a sense he might play. Players need to be on the field to produce, but if they do not do what they need to do off the field they probably will not produce either.

Overall, JP handled the ball incredibly poorly throwing an INT and fumbling. Not his finest hour,

B. Game 2 mop -up against some poor saps we blew out- Yhere was a world of difference in JPs effectiveness as he led the team to a TD by doing nothing but handing the ball to WM. However, hand-off is exactly what he needed to do and particularly after the NE debacle this confidence builder for him and the team was essential. Still though this was much better he showed that there is some work to do as he ran on the field loss track of the clock and took a stupid delay of game penalty.

C. Game II Mop-up against some more saps- Again the improvement in his play and production were clear. Our blow-put was so huge he came in and ran a fuller gameplan as we had a whole field to move and over 8 minutes on the clock. We needed some 1st downs to burn the clock, JP suceeded in moving the team on a drive which not only burned clock but he led the team to a TD. He even complete a couple of passes in this drive including a nifty throw on the run to Trafford. Still he showed there is more work to do, He improved by not running in and taking a stupid penalty, but still failed to get the playoff and called a TO which stopped the clock but at least avoided cost us 5 yards. The other mistake came on the heels of a great play were on 3rd and medium distance he dd not see a receiver opened and pulled it down and ran for the first. A good play but stupidly after he had picked the 1st rather than simply sliding or falling down he hit a defender hard as he went after a couple of meaningless extra yards. We all loved his macho play, bur as a Bills fan he has got to get smarter.

Overall there was a steady progression from and F performance to a C performance to a B in his last game.

2. Practice is key to his development- I'm not there so who knows what went on, but the Bills having the comfort to go with him obviously does not stem from the game performances above, but bodes well for what he showed in practice. If he looked not ready to start in practice I do not think that TD would being giving JP every chance to take the job nor do I think he would be leaving the decision to Bledsoe to leave.

4. Film and downloading Wyche means a lot to his development- Folks should not undestimate what a singular opportunity the injury provided JP as he had the chance which I hope he took advantage of to sit in the booth and talk to Wyche and dissect and learn the game. If he did this then his getting hurt and recovering completely are great things for the Bills.

JP will need to learn even more and assuming Bledsoe is gone, hs decision not to take the back-up role is a real loss for us as buying a credible back-up QB plus the DB deadspace will almost certainly make this cap savings a cap loss for us to manage,

Nevertheless I think there are lots of reasons for Bills fans to be hopeful in the face of Bledsoe deciding not to be a back-up. Folks who are overjoyed to see Bledsoe not start need to get over the fact that one can be glad he isn't starting but also correctly lament that he is not backing up here.

If the Bills go 3-13, I will eat my computer, including the printer and speakers. The defense will be largely intact and even have an improvement or two (like a full season of Troy Vincent at safety) The Bills can upgrade on offense through free agency & the draft at a couple of positions. OL, K and 3rd WR come to mind. A full season for McGahee, a full season starting for Lee Evans, another season with McNally as the OL coach (the OL was better later in the season) and the subtraction of Drew Bledsoe is at least a two game improvement. Mularkey is in his 2nd season and with mostly the same team coming back everyone is on the same page from the start. The Bills will be no worse than 11-5 and make the playoffs.

Get ready to take 2 steps backwards. 3 & 13 all over again

238175[/snapback]

A new day and the same nonsense all over again. The Bills are not going 3-13 next year. I will go on record right now....short of a MAJOR rash of injuries, the Bills will not finish the year with 5 wins or less.

A new day and the same nonsense all over again.  The Bills are not going 3-13 next year.  I will go on record right now....short of a MAJOR rash of injuries, the Bills will not finish the year with 5 wins or less.

238241[/snapback]

Here's another old article about JP

JP Losman

Quarterback - Position Rank: #4

Tulane

6'2" - 217 lbs

4.68 - Pro Day 40

Other than big Ben R-Berger, the quarterback with the most overall athletic ability just might be Tulane's JP Losman. Big and agile, with good speed, Losman can make all the throws and has good accuracy to go along with the all-important ability to maintain that accuracy while on the move. Unfortunately, he doesn't always play like his breakdowns and profiles say he should. He's simply not as productive as he should be. Perhaps that's merely a by-product of playing on a subpar team, but there seems to be something bigger afoot. Something more wrong. Losman might end up a coach-killer, a guy who can have big games, and tease a coach to the ultimate ruin of both careers. See Rob Johnson.

by Bradley Warshauer

;)

Get ready to take 2 steps backwards. 3 & 13 all over again

238175[/snapback]

Just like Pittsburgh when they started their new guy?

A smart game plan, good running and some nice blocking will take a lot of pressure off of JP and make him look like a better decision maker, while at the same time he grows to become one.

We may take some steps back, but it's not out of the question to say this team grows under Mularkey and that Losman makes good on his chance.

It's rare that one can completely forecast a team's fortunes for the seasons ahead, except maybe for Miami last year once they lost Ricky. Nobody knows sh-- until September. It's only fun for all of us to talk about it like we do.

I think I ought to re-iterate the original question of this thread since nobody really addressed it.

Are you comfortable with the braintrust appointing JP as a starter rather than having him earn it against a veteran? Should we bring in a veteran and have the two duke it out, or should we bring in a veteran that knows that he'll be the back up no matter what?

A better "old" article about JP...

J.P. Losman

Comparison: Mark Brunell

Strengths

Has one of the strongest arms in college football without question. He is the perfect combination of physical strength, speed, size, leadership and competitiveness. Losman is one of the best quarterbacks in the nation, has a wonderful feel for the game and can just flat out make plays throwing the football. He is a very passionate player that loves being “the man” or the leader on a football team.

Weaknesses

Does not have the best mechanics around, he seems to fade away when he passes and doesn’t step into his throws. He needs to keep his feet more active in the pocket, he tends to stand flat-footed too much. Relies on his arm strength too much as well, doesn’t seem to think he has to square up and throw a mechanically correct football at times. Has great physical strength but I was never one to say that the amount a QB can bench press means anything in the long run.

Summary

Great looking prospect just needs to be a little more accurate on the field and that will come once he straightens up his mechanics on the field. Is a great competitor and is as fiery as they come, can make all the throws and has the quickest release in college football. Only thing keeping J.P. from being a great quarterback is his attention to detail when throwing the football. Once he gets that down he is as good as anyone, awesome, athletic QB prospect, one of the best.

--Jeremy Osborne

Losman profile